Scouting in Yorkshire and the Humber
The Scout Association in Yorkshire and the Humber is part of the Scout Association North East Region, as is the Scout Association in Scouting in North East England. The Scout Association North East Region is the only one that covers two official regions of England.
There are also four student Scouting associations at various universities in the region, three of which are affiliated with the Student Scout and Guide Organisation (SSAGO). These are Students of Hull Association of Guides and Scouts at the University of Hull; Leeds University Union Scouts And Guides covering the University of Leeds, Leeds Metropolitan University and Leeds College of Music; and Sheffield Students in Guides and Scouts covering the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University. The Scouts And Girl Guides of York society at the University of York, is not affiliated with SSAGO.
- 1 History of Scouting in Yorkshire and the Humber
- 2 The Scout Association Counties
- 3 Campsites
- 4 Gang Shows
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
History of Scouting in Yorkshire and the Humber
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (May 2010)|
The Scout Association Counties
The Scout Association in Yorkshire and the Humber is administered through five Scout Counties, Central Yorkshire Scout County, Humberside Scout County, North Yorkshire Scout County, South Yorkshire Scout County and West Yorkshire Scout County.
Central Yorkshire Scout County
The County is currently divided into eight Scout Districts:
- Leeds Templars. This district covers the eastern area of Leeds.
- North Leeds
- Pontefract and Castleford
- Shire Oak (Leeds)
- South Leeds and Morley
- West Leeds
The County organises international expeditions, enabling a number of Explorer Scouts and Scout Network members to undertake adventurous activities in other countries.
The next County Expedition is in 2008, where they will be visiting Kenya. The Expedition will consist of mountaineering on Mount Kenya, trekking by camel back, and a community project. There will also be a safari through a game reserve.
Humberside Scout County
There are 9 Districts within the Humberside County:
- Beverley & Hornsea
- Blacktoft Beacons
- City Of Hull
- East Glanford
- Grimsby & Cleethorpes
- South Holderness
The Districts within Humberside were changed as part of the restructuring in 2011/2012. During this time Boothferry and Haltemprice were merged into Blacktoft Beacons. As of 30 May 2012 the three Hull Districts East Hull, North Hull and West Hull merged to make one District named City Of Hull.
North Yorkshire Scout County
North Yorkshire Scouts clebrated the Centenary of scouting in 2007 by joining the Bilton Conservation Group to plant 2000 trees donated by the Woodland Trust.
The County is currently divided into 15 Scout Districts:
- Harrogate and Nidderdale
- Ripon and District
- Scarborough and District
- South Craven
- Vale of Mowbray
- Whitby and District
- York Ebor
- York Minster
There are Scout Network units in Easingwold, Harrogate and Nidderdale (LYNX), Leven, Northallerton, Richmondshire, Ripon, Ryedale, Scarborough, Selby, South Craven, Vale of Mowbray, Whitby and York.
South Yorkshire Scout County
The County is divided into 7 Scout Districts:-
- Sheffield Hallam
- Sheffield Sheaf
- Sheffield Norfolk
- Sheffield Don
- Barnsley (Barnsley,Pennine,Central and Fitzwilliam merged into Barnsley District)
- Doncaster Danum
Sheffield Hallam is the largest District in the County with over 30 Scout Groups. Sheffield Hallam was formed when Sheffield Porter and Sheffield Rivelin merged in 2007.
The Doncaster Danum District has a Scout Band.
West Yorkshire Scout County
West Yorkshire covers the metropolitan districts of Bradford, Kirklees, and Calderdale. The Scout county of West Yorkshire does not cover the whole of the West Yorkshire metropolitan county. Because the West Yorkshire area is densely populated the boroughs of Leeds and Wakefield have their own Scout County called Central Yorkshire.
West Yorkshire Scouts celebrated a successful centenary year of 2007 .
West Yorkshire is subdivided into 14 Scout Districts:
- Aire Valley
- Bradford North
- Bradford South
- Heavy Woollen
- Holme Valley
- Huddersfield North
- Huddersfield South East
- Huddersfield South West
- Pennine Calder
- Spen Valley
West Yorkshire has two Scout Bands - Revolution Show Corps (based in Queensbury) and Spen Valley Scout and Guide Band (based in Cleckheaton)
The County has a number of campsites and activity centres 
The current County Commissioner, Mark Stageman, was appointed in January 2010.
Aldwark Water Activity Centre
The Aldwark Water Activity Centre is owned and maintained by Central Yorkshire Scout Association County. The centre is located on the River Ure, 8 miles upstream from the city of York.
The centre has one large camping field, as well as a converted mill which consists of a number of dormitories. The centre has kayaks and boats for sailing, and runs training courses to gain qualifications in these activities.
Bramhope Scout Campsite
The Bramhope Scout Campsite is situated just outside of the village of Bramhope, approximately 8 miles north-north-west of Leeds. The site covers thirteen and a half acres of woodland and fields, offering various camping pitches for any sized camp up to a District camp.
As well as the camping pitches, there are a number of buildings on the site offering accommodation and indoor training facilities. The site offers archery, air rifles, pedal karting, climbing, abseiling, and pioneering, amongst other activities. There are also facilities located near to the site which enable sailing, kayaking and swimming.
There are five camp sites:-
- Hesley Wood Scout Activity Centre, Chapeltown, Sheffield.
- Silverwood Campsite, Great Falls, Silkstone, Barnsley.
- Squirrel Wood Campsite, Burghwallis, Doncaster.
- Hundall Campsite, Sheffield Ridgeway.
Hesley Wood is used for Wood Badge and other Adult Leader Training.
Blackhills Scout Campsite is run by the Districts of Bradford North and Bradford South 
- Harrogate Gang Show.
- Keighley Scout Gangshow, restarted in 2008.
- Meanwood Gang Show
- Northallerton Gang Show, started in 2005.
- 1st Riccall Scout Group Gang Show - started in 2009.
- Todmorden Gang Show, started in 1958 by Philip Suthers.Todmorden Gang Show
- West Yorkshire Gang Show.
- York Gang Show, started in 1987.
- Scout Association North East Region
- SSAGO England
- SAGGY York
- *Central Yorkshire County Scouts
- Shire Oak (Leeds) Scout District
- South Leeds and Morley Scout District
- Humberside Scout County
- City Of Hull Scout District
- East Glanford Scout District
- North Yorkshire Scout County
- Bilton Conservation Group
- York Network
- North Yorkshire Network
- South Yorkshire Scout County
- South Yorkshire Scout Districts
- Sheffield Hallam District
- Sheffield Sheaf Scout District
- Sheffield Norfolk Scout District
- Sheffield Don Scout District
- Barnsley Scout District
- Rotherham Scout District
- Doncaster Danum Scout District
- SGS Outdoors
- Doncaster Scout Shop
- West Yorkshire Scouts
- Bradley Wood Camp Site
- Huddersfield Daily Examiner News report
- Aire Valley Scout District
- Bradford North Scout District
- Bradford South Scout District
- Brighouse Scout District
- Huddersfield North Scout District
- Huddersfield South West Scout District
- Keighley Scout District
- Spen Valley Scout District
- West Yorkshire Campsites
- Aldwark Water Activity Centre
- Bramhope Scout Campsite
- Hesley Wood Scout Activity Centre
- Silverwood Campsite
- West Yorkshire Scout County Campsites
- Blackhills Campsite
- Harrogate Gang Show
- Keighley Scout Gang Show
- Northallerton Gang Show
- West Yorkshire Gang Show
- York Gang Show
- UK Scouting
- Apex Challenge - Adventure competition for Explorer Scouts and the Scout Network
- Sheaf District Classic Car Show and Gala