|Awarded by The President of Pakistan on the advice of the Government|
|Day||Announced on August 14 each year, Independence Day of Pakistan and awards actually given on March 23rd the next year (Pakistan Day)|
|Eligibility||Pakistani or Foreign citizen|
|Awarded for||The highest degree of service to the state, and for services to international diplomacy.|
|Sovereign||President of Pakistan|
|Sovereign||Prime minister of Pakistan|
|Established||19 March 1957.|
|First induction||19 March 1957|
|Ribbons: for military personnel only|
The Sitara-i-Imtiaz (Urdu: ستارۂ امتياز), also spelled as Sitara-e-Imtiaz (English: Star of Excellence), is the third highest honour and civilian award in the State of Pakistan. It recognizes individuals who have made an "especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of Pakistan, world peace, cultural or other significant public endeavors".
This award is not limited to the citizens of Pakistan, and it can also be awarded to foreign citizens based on their achievements and services done to the State of Pakistan. While, it is a civilian award, it can also be awarded to military officers of the Pakistan Defence Forces worn on their uniform for recognition of their services to the country. Like other awards, it is a highly restricted and prestigious award only given to those who have done great services to the country. It is one of the most distinguished civil decorations to the civilians who have made outstanding contribution in their respected fields such as literature, arts, sports, medicine, or science, which prompted the recognition of the country on international level. It is given to a person who has accomplished duty beyond what is assigned to him/her. To receive this honor, the individuals are expected to show eminence and be outstanding in providing excellent service in a significant field of activity beyond what they are assigned to.
For officers in the military, it is given after distinguished service, and is also the highest medal that can be awarded to those at the rank of Brigadier-General or Major-General in the (Army), Air-Commodores or Air Vice-Marshals in the (Air Force) and Commodore or Rear-Admiral in the (Navy, Coast Guard, and Marines). The Parliament's Committee for Award and Recognition Services for State of Pakistan, selects the names of individuals and sends final report to the Prime minister of Pakistan. On advice of the Prime minister, the President organizes a colorful ceremony that is telecast and broadcast by the Pakistan Television Corporation. The award is usually given to individuals one by one and not in groups because the whole purpose of the award is to assess the recipient's individual capabilities in par excellence.
The award is a disc of golden Jasminum which stands between two and five points of the star, and is also of pure gold. The star is in the form of a five pointed star, with additional bright coloured Jasminum filling in space between points of the star. In the middle of the star, a well polished green emerald circumference fills the inside of the golden star. A smaller golden star is situated in the middle of the emerald field.
A special grade of the medal/award has larger execution of the same medal design worn as a star on the left chest. In addition, it is worn as a sash on the right shoulder, with its rosette [yellow with white (for civilians) or/ green (for military officers only) with white and yellow edge, bearing the central disc of the medal at its center] resting on the left hip. At the formal ceremony, both medals can be worn at the same time depending upon the individual's achievements. The medal is suspended on a ribbon, dark green color with a light yellow and white central stripe with white edge stripes.
List of recipients
- Prof. Dr. Talat Naseer Pasha (2016)
- Majid Nizami- Journalist and business executive of Nawa-i-Waqt Group
- Hakeem Rizwan Hafeez Malik
- Professor Dr. Ihsan Ali Vice Chancellor of Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan. awarded in 2013 for rendering invaluable services and for his contributions in the field of Archaeology.
- Dr. Abdul Quadir Mughal (Sindh)
- Ayub K Ommaya - (1982)
- Syed Najmul Hassan Kararvi - (1982) for his work on Islam.
- Dr. Umar Saif
- Rahimullah Yusufzai (2010)- journalist
- Saad Bakshi
- Siddiq Ismail- (1985) Naat Khawan
- Mohammad Yahya Bajwa
- Prof. Dr Fazal. A Khalid
- Nisar Siddiqui
- Aslam Azhar (pioneer of Pakistan Television)
- Basim Ali Khan Ghadi
- Sikander Khan Panezai
- Muhammad Aqib Sajjad
- Ghulam Hassan Shaggan (2000)- classical music singer
- Mir Zeeshan Ali Chalgar
- Saad Ejaz - (2011)
- Saadat Hasan Manto 2013 (writer)
- Malik Aqib Ali Ayaz- (2014)
- Saif Muazzam Chugtai
- Sheikh Fahad bin Hamid
- Shahraiz Khan
- Dr. Nazeer Ahmad
- Dr. Ejaz Ahmad Khokhar
- Dr. Riaz Jawed Khawaja - (2014)
- Abdul Moiz Munir
- Haider Ali Khan Khajjak
- Qavi Khan- (2012) (actor)
- Mehdi Hassan (2013) (singer)
- Yasmeen Lari
- Moin Akhter ( TV Comedian)
- Munier Chowdhury – (1966)
- Inayat Ollah Khan Niazi- (2012)
- Thomas Ballantyne Irving – (1983)
- Mumtaz Mufti – (1986) (scholar)
- Shamsul-hasan Shams Barelvi – (1995)
- Dr. Umar Saif (2014)
- Professor Muhammad Umar - (2015)
- Anwar Chowdhry – (1999)
- Rashid Ali Malik
- Dr Arjumand Hashmi- (2005) (cardiologist)
- Prof. Dr. Ghulam Abbas Miana
- Allama Talib Jauhari (religious scholar)
- Adil Salahuddin
- Ahmed Rushdi- (2004) (film playback singer)
- Waheed Murad (film actor)
- Shoaib Sultan Khan
- Muhammad Suhail Zubairy
- Israr Ahmed (religious scholar)
- Anne Marie Schimmel
- Ayesha Jalal
- Adil Najam
- Sadequain (artist painter)
- Bashir A. Tahir
- Sania Nishtar
- Asad Umar
- Muhammad Enamul Haque
- Bob Woolmer (cricket coach) 2007
- M.A. Zuberi
- Abida Parveen (2005) (folk singer)
- Ahmad Khan Chaudhry
- Sarfaraz K. Niazi
- Gopi Chand Narang (writer)
- Khan Abdul Ghani Khan
- Reshma (folk singer)
- Aleem Dar (2013) (cricket umpire)
- Anis Ahmed (military officer)
- Shahzad Malik (2013)
- Muhammad Shafi Malik (business executive)
- Nirmala Deshpande
- Saeed Ajmal
- Javed Miandad (cricketer)
- Mohammad Yousuf (cricketer)
- Abdul Gaffar Billoo – (2007)
- S K Tressler
- Salim Mehmud
- Nasra Wazir Ali
- Khawar Mahmood Khan – (2014)
- Sheikh Muhammad Younas (2015)
- Shan-ul-Haq Haqqee (Writer)
- Ludmila Vassilyeva
- Professor Dr. Masood Hameed Khan (Founding Vice Chancellor Dow University of Health Sciences)
- Abdul Qavi Khan
- Abdul Qadir Khan
- Dr. Saiyid Hasan Mujtaba Naqvi (1990)
- Dr. Riazul Islam 
- Brig Muhammad Arshad
- Air Commodore Sadoon Pervaiz Memon (Pictured above)
- Brig Dr. Saeeda Akhtar
- Brig Muhammad Tariq (psc)
- Brig Mohammad Rauf Qureshi - (1988)
- Brig Muhammad Yousaf - (1993) (Pictured above)
- Brig Rashid Ullah Beg
- Brig Zahir Jilani
- Brig Muhammad Parwaiz Akbar
- Lt.Col Nisar Ahmed Chodhary
- Major Gul Abbas
- , Sitara-i-Imtiaz awards announced-2005, Dawn Karachi newspaper, published 23 January 2014, Retrieved 4 September 2015
- "Recognising excellence: Manto among 192 recipients of top civil awards". Tribune. Pakistan. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Tariq, Salahuddin (July 15, 2008). "In memory of a genius". Retrieved 2014-12-30.
- http://www.dawn.com/news/943236/list-of-civil-award-winners, Rahimullah Yusufzai's Sitara-i-Imtiaz award info listed on Dawn newspaper, Published 16 Aug 2009, Retrieved 14 Sep 2016
- http://tribune.com.pk/story/353924/investiture-ceremony-67-to-receive-national-awards-today/, Aslam Azhar's Sitara-i-Imtiaz Award info on The Express Tribune newspaper, Published 23 March 2012, Retrieved 12 July 2016
- http://www.dawn.com/news/742068/abida-parveen-aleem-dar-among-winners-posthumous-awards-for-manto-mehdi-Hassan, Aleem Dar's Sitara-i-Imtiaz Award info listed on Dawn newspaper, Retrieved 3 July 2016
- http://www.dawn.com/news/1082073, Dr Arjumand Hashmi awarded Sitara-i-Imtiaz in 2005, published 23 Jan 2014, Retrieved 27 Jan 2016
- http://web.archive.org/web/20110614094618/http://pakistantimes.net/2004/03/24/top1.htm, Ahmed Rushdi receives Sitara-i-Imtiaz from President Pervez Musharraf, published 24 March 2004, Retrieved 27 Jan 2016
- "Profile: Pioneering development partnership".
- "10 prominent NWFP personalities conferred awards on Pakistan Day". PakTribune. March 23, 2006. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "Engro's president Asad Umar takes early retirement". The News Tribe. April 16, 2012. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/286699.html, Bob Woolmer awarded Sitara-i-Imtiaz for 2007, published 22 March 2007, Retrieved 27 Jan 2016
- "The Nation newspaper". Nawaiwaqt Group. Retrieved 3 July 2016.
- "The Nation". Nawaiwaqt Group. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Saeed Ajmal awarded "Sitara-e-Imtiaz"". March 23, 2015., Retrieved 27 Jan 2016
- "Awards – Cricket". Pakistan Sports Board. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- "KU opens doors to Prof Riazul Islam Audio-Visual Centre - The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 2016-02-25. Retrieved 2016-10-14.