South African Class 45-000
|South African Class 45-000|
The Transnet Freight Rail Class 45-000 of 2015 is a South African diesel-electric locomotive.
The acquisition of the Class 45-000 forms part of the largest-ever locomotive supply contract in South African history and the single-biggest investment initiative by a South African corporation. It consists of contracts for the construction of 1,064 locomotives by four global original equipment manufacturers:
- General Electric South Africa Technologies (a unit of the U.S.-based GE Transportation) for 233 Class 44-000 diesel-electric locomotives.
- CNR Rolling Stock South Africa (Pty.) Ltd. for 232 Class 45-000 diesel-electric locomotives.
- CSR Zhuzhou Electric Locomotive Company for 359 Class 22E dual-voltage electric locomotives.
- Bombardier Transportation South Africa for 240 Class 23E dual-voltage electric locomotives.
All the Class 45-000 locomotives were delivered in red TFR livery.
- RailwayAge, 17 Mar 2014: Transnet: 1,064 locomotives, $5 billion (Accessed 23 Nov 2015)
- Railway Gazette, 4 Dec 2014: Transnet seals MoU with CSR Zhuzhou (Accessed 6 Feb 2016)
- Railway Gazette, 17 Mar 2014: South Africa's 'largest ever' locomotive order awarded to four suppliers (Accessed 6 Feb 2016)