This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Southwest China Normal University |
Southwest Agricultural University
|Campus||Urban 9,600 Chinese mu, 600 hectares|
|Affiliations||Double First Class University, 211 Project|
Southwest University (SWU, simplified Chinese: 西南大学; traditional Chinese: 西南大學; pinyin: Xīnán Dàxué) is a comprehensive university in Chongqing, China. It is a Chinese Ministry of Education Double First Class Discipline University, with Double First Class status in certain disciplines.
Southwest University (SWU) is a comprehensive university sponsored by the Ministry of Education of China. It was founded in July 2005 with the merger of Southwest Normal University and Southwest Agricultural University, both of whose histories are over 100 years. It is one of the "211 Project" universities which get preferential support for their development and construction from the Central Government of China. The total number of the students at SWU is more than 80,000, of which 50,000 are full-time students. There are also many international students working for their bachelor's, master's or doctor's degrees and other advanced studies in SWU every year.
SWU is located in Chongqing municipality, which is the central city in the Western China Development Project. Southwest University began to enroll international students in the 1950s. It is also one of the universities designated by the Ministry of Education to enroll Chinese Government Scholarship students. Most of the international students in SWU are now majoring in Chinese language, Pedagogy, Psychology, Economics, Business in China, Chinese Minorities Studies, Life Sciences, Food Sciences, Agriculture, Fine Arts, and Chinese Martial Arts etc. The qualified international students in Southwest University have the chance to get Chongqing Mayor Scholarships and SWU Excellent Overseas Students Scholarship. In addition, SWU is donating a share of Integrative Insurance for Medical Care and Accidents for every long-term overseas student.
The university covers a broad range of academic disciplines including philosophy, economics, law, pedagogics, literature, history, science, engineering, agriculture and management. It offers 40 national key disciplines, 66 doctoral programs, 9 postdoctoral programs, 159 master’s programs and 97 bachelor’s programs.[when?] SWU is known nationwide for its teaching methodological and agricultural studies. Studies in Pedagogics, psychology and agriculture have distinguished predominance in China; The Research of Silkworm genome is top in the world. A great deal of creative research works have been achieved in the fields like Zero Tillage Cultivation, Silkworm Genome, Studies on the Education and Psychological Behavior of Minorities in Southwestern China, and the Research on Human Time Cognition.
Colleges and departments
- School of Marxism Studies
- College of Political Science and Public Management
- School of Law
- College of Animal Science and Technology
- College of Plant Protection
- College of Agronomy and Biotechnology
- College of Horticulture and Landscaping
- College of Food Science
- College of Textiles and Garment
- College of Engineering and Technology
- College of Computer and Information Science & College of Software
- College of Resources and Environment
- School of Material Science and Engineering
- School of Geographical Science
- College of Biotechnology
- College of Life Sciences and Biological Technology
- College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- College of Physics and Technology & College of Electronic Information Engineering
- School of Mathematics and Statistics
- College of Historic Cultures & College of Nationalities
- School of Fine Arts
- College of Music
- College of International Studies
- College of Chinese Language and Literature
- College of Physical Education
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Education
- College of Culture and Social Development
- College of Economics and Management
- School of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- School of Journalism and Communication
- College of Hanhong
The modern university was established in July 2005, incorporating the former Southwest China Normal University and Southwest Agricultural University, with the approval of the Chinese Ministry of Education.
The following buildings are on the campus:
- Art Gallery
- Basketball Building
- Soccer Court
- The Eighth Teaching Building
- The Thirty-third Teaching Building
- Life Science Building
Southwest China Normal University
Southwest China Normal University was one of the key comprehensive universities under the administration of the Chinese Ministry of Education. Originally it was created as the Southwest Teachers College. The college was the result of several mergers of the former National Women's Teachers College and the Sichuan Provincial Educational College in 1950. It was then established as Southwest China Normal University in 1985.
Southwest Agricultural University
Southwest Agricultural University was created in 1950, as the Southwest Agricultural College. The college was the end result of several institutions which were Sichuan Provincial Educational College, the Western China University and Xianghui College.
In 1979, it was authorized by the State Council to be one of the national key universities. It was restructured as Southwest Agricultural College. In 1958, the college was upgraded as Southwest Agricultural University.
In 2001, Sichuan Animal Husbandry and Veterinary College and the Citrus Research Institute of Chinese Academy of Agriculture were absorbed into Southwest Agricultural University. This marked the beginning of a new Southwest Agricultural University which specializes from teaching, pedagogy, psychology, agronomy and agriculture.
Prior to the merger, Southwest China Normal University and Southwest Agricultural University were neighbors with only a wall separating the two universities. Both universities had a long historical relationship, which could be located back to their common origin, i.e. East Sichuan Teachers College in 1906.
Faculty and Student
Southwest University employs 2,650 full-time teachers, and 300 professional researchers, 349 professors (research fellows), and 739 associate professors (associate research fellows, 113 PhD supervisors, and 513 Master's degree tutors.[when?]
Southwest University has over 50,000 students.
There are three libraries in school: the central library, the north section library and the south section library. The central library which was built on 2005 is the newest and largest one. The university library holds 3,800,000 volumes of items in total by January 2014.[when?]
- "South West University", www.chinese-tools.com/study/china/chongqing/swu, Study in China
- "Southwest University". China Scholarship Council. Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- 教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 (Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Southwest University.|
- Southwest University official website
- Study at Southwest University
- School of Computer and Information Science