The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Raagapella, 2012-2013 group
|Genres||World, A cappella|
Stanford Raagapella is Stanford University's South Asian focus a cappella group. The group was founded in 2002 and has released two albums to date, Raags to Riches and Raag Time. Raagapella regularly performs on campus in events hosted by the group itself as well as by organizations such as Stanford Sanskriti, the South Asian cultural organization. Stanford Raagapella has toured the United States and India, performing with artists such as A.R. Rahman. The group's repertoire consists of world music, much of which originates in India, and Western songs.
Stanford Raagapella was founded in 2002 by Mehul Trivedi, Bobby Ghosh, Sudeep Roy, and Jay Pandit. The group quickly grew from its founding four members to a steady size of about thirteen. However, group size has been as high as sixteen. In 2005 and 2006 Stanford Raagapella won 1st Place at Anahat, a national South Asian a cappella competition hosted yearly by UC Berkeley Indus. It placed 3rd in the competition in 2004 and 2007. In 2006, Stanford Raagapella also took part in the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCA) where it was a semi-finalist. In 2007, Stanford Raagapella won 2nd place at the ICCA West Region Quarterfinal. Later that year, Stanford Raagapella went on its first tour, starting a yearly tradition of touring in locations such as the East and West coasts of the United States, Texas, Chicago, Iowa and India, during which CNN-IBN did a story about the group. The group had its first tour in India in 2008, stopping in Mumbai, Bangalore, and Hyderabad, where one of the shows was organized by Tanvi Shah. Stanford Raagapella first performed with composer and singer A.R. Rahman in 2006 in the Hollywood Bowl, reconvening in 2007 (in the Oracle Arena, Oakland and NASA Colosseum), and again in the Hollywood Bowl in 2011. Stanford Raagapella makes regular appearances in events on Stanford campus as well. The group still tours the US, performing at various colleges and has performed in a variety of locations including Barcelona for the wedding of Shristi Mittal, niece of Lakshmi Mittal.
Stanford Raagapella's music consists mainly of Bollywood and western pop. The repertoire also contains doo-wop (such as "I'll Take You Home"), Persian poetry ("Ey Karevan/Hallelujah"), a national song ("Vande Mataram"), hip hop ("Motel"), R&B ("Burn/Jaane Kye Chahe"), folk rock ("All Along the Watchtower") and bhangra ("Kangna"). While most songs are in Hindi and/or English, Stanford Raagapella has also sung in Punjabi, Sinhalese, Tamil, Persian, Telugu, Kannada, Sanskrit, Arabic, and French. Stanford Raagapella places emphasis on its quality of blend and its volume and richness of sound.
Stanford Raagapella's first album, Raag's to Riches was well received by The Recorded A Cappella Review Board, receiving a 4.3 out of 5 based on the reviews of RARB critics. The album also received an honorable mention for the year of 2006 by the RARB.
In 2016, Stanford Raagapella released its second album, Raag Time.
- "Student Organizations". Stanford University. Stanford University. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Stanford Raagapella | bio". Raagapella.com. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- Swapnil Pagare (2011-07-15), A R Rahman With LA Philharmonic Part 3, retrieved 2016-04-03
- "Raagapella | Hollywood Bowl". www.hollywoodbowl.com. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- "A Cappella News: Raagapella wins title". www.acappellanews.com. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- "Results". Varsity Vocals. 2015-08-12. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "Raagapella | History". Stanford.edu. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Raagapella, Indianised form of Italian music". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Music review: A.R. Rahman and the Los Angeles Philharmonic in 'Journey to India' at Hollywood Bowl". Los Angeles Times.
- Augustine, Seline (July 8, 2008). "The razzle dazzle of raags". The Hindu. The Hindu. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- "Mangalyam/O Humdum Suniyo Re - Stanford Raagapella @ Hollywood Bowl 2006". YouTube.
- de Silva, Marisa. "Raag On!". Times Online Sri Lanka.
- "Raagapella | A Cappella Music - The Contemporary A Cappella Society". Casa.org. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Raagapella - About the Performer". LA Phil. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Tag Archives: Raagapella". The Stanford Daily. The Stanford Daily. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Doshi, Milan. "Spring Tour". Milan Doshi. Milan Doshi. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Rai, Saritha. "Steel Tycoon Mittal's Niece Has Big Fat Indian Wedding In Spain". Forbes. Forbes. Retrieved 9 May 2016.
- "Stanford Raagapella | discography | Raags to Riches". Raagapella.com. 2005-12-01. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- Sethuraman, Shreya. "'A Cappella' music: Masala Mania". OPEN Magazine: New Delhi. OPEN Magazine. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Stanford Raagapella: Raags to Riches". The Recorded A Cappella Review Board. The Recorded A Cappella Review Board. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "RARB Picks of '06". The Recorded A Cappella Review Board. The Recorded A Cappella Review Board. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Raag Time". CDBaby. Retrieved 9 May 2016.