Strafford (SEPTA station)
|SEPTA Regional Rail commuter rail station|
|Location||97 Old Eagle School Road
and Crestline Road
Wayne, PA 19087
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Parking||289 spaces (115 daily, 103 permit, 71 remote permit)|
|Bicycle facilities||4 racks (8 spaces)|
|Rebuilt||1885, 1887, 1999-2002|
|Passengers (2011)||763 (weekday boardings)|
Strafford Railroad Station
|NRHP Reference #||84003226|
|Added to NRHP||1984|
The Strafford Station building was originally built for the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Fairmount Park. In 1885, the building was moved to Wayne, Pennsylvania. In 1887, the building was moved again to its current location in Strafford. The station has also been damaged by fires numerous times. The landmark building was constructed in the "Eastlake" or "Stick" architectural style popular from 1855 to 1877. In 1911 the Philadelphia and Western Railroad extended their Strafford Branch to the station which lasted until 1956. The train station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) restored the station from 1999 to 2002. Work included restoring the historic station building itself, the platforms, shelters, and canopies. The station was made ADA-compliant with ramps to the platforms. Mini-high-level platforms will be installed after the Amtrak Keystone Corridor project is complete.
The ticket office at this station is open weekdays from 5:50 a.m. to 1:15 p.m., excluding holidays. There are 289 parking spaces at the station, including SEPTA permit parking in nearby lots.
- "Transportation Planning for the Philadelphia–Harrisburg "Keystone" Railroad Corridor" (PDF). Federal Railroad Administration. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Fiscal Year 2011 Annual Service Plan" (PDF). SEPTA. pp. 71–72. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- Chester County Listings at the National Register of Historic Places
- Google map
- John Milnes Baker, A.I.A. (1994) American House Styles p.86.
- Library of Congress: Images and data
- SEPTA - Strafford Station
- Station House from Google Maps Street View