This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2022)
|Produced by||W.D. & H.O. Wills|
|Tagline||"You're never alone with a Strand. The cigarette of the moment."|
|Carcinogenicity: IARC group 1|
Strand was launched in 1959 but withdrawn in the early 1960s. The launch was accompanied by a huge television advertising campaign with the slogan "You're never alone with a Strand". They also ran advertisements in newspapers offering a free pack of Strand cigarettes to readers who filled in a coupon and sent it in.
You're never alone with a Strand
This television advertisement depicted a dark, wet, deserted London street scene in which a raincoated character, played by Terence Brook, looking similar to Frank Sinatra, lit a cigarette and puffed reflectively. This was accompanied by an instrumental, "The Lonely Man Theme" by Cliff Adams, playing in the background and a voice-over declared "You're never alone with a Strand. The cigarette of the moment".
However, sales of the brand were poor and it was soon taken off the market. The public associated smoking Strand cigarettes with being lonely and were put off from buying them. It is regarded as one of the most disastrous tobacco advertising campaigns of all time with only 0.3% of male smokers and 0.7% of female smokers ever buying a pack of Strand cigarettes.
The company rebranded Strand as Embassy. The new TV adverts showed a man at a party, ignored by everyone. He produces a pack of Embassy, starts offering them around and is suddenly the life and soul of the party. The advertising campaign's success can be judged by Embassy becoming the biggest selling cigarette of the 1960s.
- "BrandStrand - Cigarettes Pedia". Cigarettespedia.com. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- "Strand". Zigsam.at. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- "Brands". Cigarety.by. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- The Commercials at WhirligigTV.co.uk. (includes footage of the commercial)
- UK Television Adverts, 1955-1985: Cigars, cigarettes, and tobacco at Headington.org. Accessed 10 September 2014
- "John May". Daily Telegraph. 21 March 2002. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Advertisements" at NostalgiaCentral.com. Accessed 10 September 2014.
- "The Lonely Man Theme". Official Charts. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Off the back of a fag packet" at TVCream.org. Accessed 10 September 2014.
- "The history of advertising 18 - Strand cigarettes". Campaignlive.co.uk. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- Murray, Scott (29 May 2009). "Joy of six: Things that you no longer see in TV adverts". The Guardian. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- "Strand Cigarettes - 1959 | Devastating Disasters". Archived from the original on 2018-01-26. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- "What makes a bad advert?". Full-media.co.uk. 19 March 2014. Retrieved 25 January 2018.