Sundar C at the audio launch of Muthina Kathirikai
|Born||Vinayaga Sundara Vadivel Chidambaram Pillai
21 January 1968
Erode, Tamil Nadu, India
|Occupation||Director, Producer, Actor,singer|
|Years active||1995 – present|
Sundar C. is an Indian film director, producer and actor. He has directed over 30 films in Tamil. Initially, he worked as an assistant director to Manivannan and became a director with the family drama Murai Maman (1995). His notable films include Ullathai Allitha (1996), Arunachalam (1997) and Anbe Sivam (2003). He made his acting debut in 2006 with the film Thalai Nagaram. He made his directorial debut in Telugu with the film Something Something (2013).
Sundar started his career assisting director Manivannan and made his directorial debut with Murai Maman (1995). Sundar revealed that he initially wanted a leading action hero to play the lead role in his film and approached Sarathkumar, but the producer was unavailable to sign the actor. Subsequently, the director chose Jayaram to play the lead role in the film and also said that he tapped into his innate sense of humour, as Jayaram was very famous for his humour in Malayalam. Murai Maaman did well at the box-office and Sundar went on to direct many humour themed films like Ullathai Allithaa (1996), Mettukudi (1996) and Unakkaga Ellam Unakkaga (1999). In 1997, he directed his high-profile project till date, Arunachalam with Rajinikanth. He also occasionally directed action and thriller films like Unnai Kann Theduthe (2000), Rishi (2001) and Chinna (2005). His favourite heroine was actress Rambha, as a Director he made her as his lead heroine in his 6 movies.
In 2003, he directed two films Winner and Anbe Sivam. The former was successful and the comedy scenes from that film became hugely popular. However the latter despite being critically acclaimed, the film under performed at box-office but became a cult classic.Anbe Sivam remains his only humane realism movie till today out of his regular commercial cinema genre  After directing Rendu (2006), Sundar took a break from directing in order to concentrate on acting career. He made his acting debut as lead actor with Thalainagaram (2006) which was well received.Then he went on to play lead roles with the commercially successful Veerapu directed by Badri and Sandai by Sakthi Chidambaram. He then made a comeback as a director with Nagaram Marupakkam (2010).
As an Actor
|1995||Murai Maman||Cameo appearance|||
|2006||Thalai Nagaram||Subramaniam (Right)|||
|Aayudham Seivom||Saidai Sathya|||
As a director and writer
|1997||Arunachalam||N||Tamil||Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Film|
|1998||Naam Iruvar Namakku Iruvar||Tamil|
|Suyamvaram||N||Tamil||Directed by ten directors|
|Unakkaga Ellam Unakkaga||Tamil|
|Unnai Kann Theduthey||Tamil|
|2001||Ullam Kollai Poguthae||Tamil|
|Thaka Thimi Tha||N||Tamil|
|2013||Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru||Tamil||Simultaneously made in Telugu as Something Something|
|Something Something||Telugu||Simultaneously made in Tamil as Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru|
|2014||Aranmanai||Tamil||Nominated, Vijay Award for Favourite Director|
|TBA||Madha Gaja Raja||Tamil||Delayed|
- Nandini (2017)
As a Singer
|2008||Sandai||"Vaadee En Kappakezhungu"||Dhina|
|2010||Guru Sishyan||"Subbaiyaa Subbaiyaa"||Sung with Sathyaraj|
- "Sundar C, profile". Cinemaprofile.com. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Films of Sundar C". Screenindia.com. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "Sundar C. is on a roll". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 2 October 2007. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "Hat trick?". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 28 March 2008.
- BehindwoodsTV (18 September 2015). "Sundar C - "Rajini said NO to that song!" - BOFTA Masterclass - BW" – via YouTube.
- "UNNAI KANN THEDUTHEY : A movie review by Balaji Balasubramaniam". Bbthots.com. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Chinna review. Chinna Tamil movie review, story, rating". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "The Hindu : Anbe Sivam". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Murai Maman Tamil Movie - Critic Review". Moviecrow.com. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Arunachalam Tamil Movie, Wiki, Story, Review, Release Date, Trailers". FilmiBeat.com. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Movie Review : Thalainagaram". Sify.com. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Veerappu Review". Behindwoods.com. 26 November 2006. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Review: Sandai is illogical". Rediff.com. 24 March 2008. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Aayudham Seivom Tamil Movie Review". IndiaGlitz.com. 30 June 2008. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Perumal Movie Review". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Movie Review : Review -Thee". Sify.com. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Aindham Padai is below average". Rediff.com. 27 July 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Cinema Plus / Film Review : Viewer's woes – Guru Sishyan". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 14 May 2010. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "What's special in 'Vaada'?". IndiaGlitz.com. 3 April 2010. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Nagaram Marupakkam Review – Tamil Movie Review by V.S. Rajapur". Nowrunning.com. 20 November 2010. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Movie Review : Murattu Kaalai". Sify.com. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Ninaithathu Yaro Movie Reviews, Stills & Wallpapers - Sulekha Movies". Movies.suleka.com. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Aranmanai (2014)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Aranmanai 2". Cineplex.com. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Muthina Kathirikai review. Muthina Kathirikai Tamil movie review, story, rating". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 2017-08-23.