Suonenjoki railway station
Location of Suonenjoki in Finland
|Sub-region||Inner Savonia sub-region|
|• Town manager||Olavi Ruotsalainen|
|• Total||713.54 km2 (275.50 sq mi)|
|• Land||713.55 km2 (275.50 sq mi)|
|• Water||148.78 km2 (57.44 sq mi)|
|Area rank||119th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||134th largest in Finland|
|• Density||10.32/km2 (26.7/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||14.6%|
|• 15 to 64||60.9%|
|• 65 or older||24.5%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
Suonenjoki is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the Northern Savonia region. The town has a population of 7,366 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 713.54 square kilometres (275.50 sq mi) of which 148.78 km2 (57.44 sq mi) is water. The population density is 10.32 inhabitants per square kilometre (26.7/sq mi). Neighbour municipalities are Kuopio, Leppävirta, Pieksämäki, Rautalampi and Tervo.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Suonenjoki is famous for its strawberries. It is also known as "the Strawberry Town". Lots of foreign people, mainly from Ukraine and Russia, come to Suonenjoki in summer to work on strawberry farms. That makes Suonenjoki the most international town of Finland at summer. There is a party in Suonenjoki in July called Mansikkakarnevaalit, "Strawberry Carnival". There was also a rock festival named Jörisrock, the last "Jöris" was held in 2006. Nowadays, "Jöris" has been replaced by a music event called Iisrock.
Newspaper Sisä-Savo is published in Suonenjoki and nearby municipalities.
Suonenjoki is situated between two important cities, Kuopio and Jyväskylä, and the main road 9 (E63) between those cities goes through Suonenjoki. The railway between Kuopio and Helsinki goes also through the center of Suonenjoki.
Notable people from Suonenjoki
- "Population density by area 1.1.2016". Statistics Finland. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Suonenjoki at Wikimedia Commons
- Town of Suonenjoki – Official website (Finnish)