|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
conception at the station
I've added the info concerning the city in which Allen Lane had his idea; there are two railway stations in Exeter. It was probably St David's but I'm not sure.
- St David's was GWR; Central was LSWR; Exeter St Thomas also GWR (?)--Felix Folio Secundus (talk) 07:15, 30 July 2009 (UTC)
- The station "legend" was completely debunked in Stuart Kells' 2015 book Penguin and the Lane Brothers, and should be removed from the article. In truth, Allen Lane was not much of a reader, his involvement in a publishing company merely being a way of feeding his competitive nature (and, according to Kells, nasty and vicious nature too; he was not above shafting his own brothers if it meant he could get more undeserved fame and more money). -- Jack of Oz [pleasantries] 11:46, 29 June 2016 (UTC)
Story that could clear up items in this article
BBC News posted this story. It states the Penguincubator could have been made, but it isn't known for sure. There are other items that could help this entry as well.
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Allen Lane. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20111101142744/http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/uk/0/aboutus/aboutpenguin_companyhistory.html to http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/uk/0/aboutus/aboutpenguin_companyhistory.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.