|Chrisye is a featured article; it (or a previous version of it) has been identified as one of the best articles produced by the Wikipedia community. Even so, if you can update or improve it, please do so.|
|Chrisye is the main article in the Overview of Chrisye series, a featured topic. This is identified as among the best series of articles produced by the Wikipedia community. If you can update or improve it, please do so.|
|This article appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page as Today's featured article on September 16, 2012.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- Fixed that. Crisco 1492 (talk) 17:02, 27 May 2011 (UTC)
- There is still an incomplete sentence at the end of the second paragraph in Legacy section (His signature song "Lilin-Lilin Kecil...). Anyway, great job on expanding and referencing the article. — MT (talk) 14:48, 27 August 2011 (UTC)
- Fixed that. Crisco 1492 (talk) 17:02, 27 May 2011 (UTC)
- In this sentence "Though Chrisye has been described as "legendary", his on-stage persona has been described as "stiff", with very little movement" it would probably be a good idea to try to briefly specify who has described him this way. Mark Arsten (talk) 19:32, 4 January 2012 (UTC)
- Not sure if you're aware, but the .ogg file in the third section is a redlink. Mark Arsten (talk) 20:30, 4 January 2012 (UTC)
- Looks like it was messed up by turning the hyphen into an ndash. Crisco 1492 (talk) 23:57, 4 January 2012 (UTC)
- Hmm... perhaps, but referencing would be somewhat difficult for any resulting article.
- That's too bad, but you're probably right. Mark Arsten (talk) 00:58, 6 January 2012 (UTC)
- this was all I could find for English sources. Mark Arsten (talk) 01:00, 6 January 2012 (UTC)
- "After Resesi, Chrisye collaborated with Djarot and Suryoprayogo again on the 1983 album Metropolitan. The album, drawing on New Wave influences and dealing mainly with issues facing youth, was well received, later going silver; the single "Selamat Jalan Kekasih" ("Goodbye Dear") also became a hit. That same year, Chrisye and Yanti had their first daughter, Rizkia Nurannisa. The following year, the trio collaborated again on Nona (Miss), which was full of social criticism; the album spawned four singles and went on to be certified platinum." This could be clarified a bit, after talking about the couple having a child you mention the trio releasing an album (since there are two trios mentioned in the paragraph). Mark Arsten (talk) 19:38, 5 January 2012 (UTC)
- This made me laugh for some reason. I guess if he were protestant he would by definition not be pleased with the Catholic Church, so my changes were technically accurate :) I'm used to "the Church" meaning "the Catholic Church" for some reason.
- I've yet to see his opinion on the Catholic church; Protestants and Catholics tend to get along here, so I doubt he had hard feelings towards it. BTW, perhaps we should change to "disillusioned" or something similar?
- Interesting, I didn't know that.
- "Chrisye immediately began work on his first album with Musica in May 1978, Sabda Alam (Nature's Order), choosing several songs submitted and writing others, including the title song." The part about "choosing several songs submitted" isn't quite clear to me, who submitted them?
- Fellow songwriters; he doesn't go into much detail. I will probably reword that.
- "Amin, after taking a deep breath, agreed to the condition." This might be ok, not sure if it is too much detail though.
- Hmm... "hesitantly"?
- "Released in Due in part to the popularity of the film, Puspa Indah was well received and sold well; "Galih dan Ratna" and "Gita Cinta", released as singles, were also well received." You have "well received" twice in that sentence, maybe it could be rephrased a bit? Mark Arsten (talk) 17:28, 6 January 2012 (UTC)
- Alright, last three fixes look fine. This will be a featured article in no time :) Mark Arsten (talk) 23:45, 6 January 2012 (UTC)
This peer review discussion has been closed.
I've listed this article for peer review because I am hoping to bring to FAC by mid February at the latest (so that the article can be on the main page for the 5 year anniversary of his death) and I would like some feedback on what can be expanded. Also, the biography I have has testimonials from numerous famous people, including former President Megawati Sukarnoputri. To cite this should I do:
- Sukarnoputri, Megawati (2007). "Dia Penyanyi yang Seniman" [He Is an Artful Singer]. In Endah, Alberthiene. Chrisye: Sebuah Memoar Musikal [Chrisye: A Musical Memoir] (in Indonesian). Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama. p. 339. ISBN 978-979-22-2606-5.
or the standard
- Endah, Alberthiene (2007). Chrisye: Sebuah Memoar Musikal [Chrisye: A Musical Memoir] (in Indonesian). Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama. ISBN 978-979-22-2606-5.
- I would do the first and give the chapter information - more information is better as to the source of statements. Ruhrfisch ><>°° 12:07, 20 January 2012 (UTC)
Brianboulton comments: The main review seems to have stalled some weeks ago, but I can give you a few indicators of attention needed to the prose in the earlier parts of the article:-
- In the Early life section, awkward repetitions: "While attending elementary school at GIKI Elementary School" - why not just "While attending GIKI Elementary School..."?
- Same section, more repetition: "Chrisye attended Senior High School PSKD Menteng. While he was in senior high school, Beatlemania reached Indonesia" This could be shortened to "Beatlemania reached Indonesia while Chrisye was a student at Senior High School PSKD Menteng."
- In the "Band member and early projects" section, link covers at first mention.
- Same section, fourth paragraph, final sentence: "Although he became upset that he could not fully express himself through covers, he continued to work". There is no indication given in the paragraph of the identity of "he". In the next paragraph, also, you first refer to Chrisye as "him".
- ".. Sys NS, an employee of Prambors..." To me , "Sys NS" does not read like the name of a person; can you clarify? (I see later on "Addie MS" so perhaps this is an Indonesian format?)
- Problematic sentence: "After stagnating for a week, numerous radio stations began playing the singles and sales increased exponentially." It was not the radio stations that were stagnating.
- Link "groupie"
- "financial condition" → "financial position"
- "Chrisye briefly considered quitting the music industry but turned down a lucrative offer from the television network RCTI." Briefly expand on the nature of the offer which, presumably, involved a non-musical role?
- Thanks. I'll get on it this evening after this seminar I'm attending. Crisco 1492 (talk) 04:05, 22 February 2012 (UTC)
Ruhrfisch comments: Sorry this took me so long. I agree with the above comments, and here are some suggestions for improvement.
- A model article is useful for ideas and examples to follow - there are many FAs on musicians that might be useful models - see Category:FA-Class biography (musicians) articles.
- I would make sure the lead and infobox are in sync - the infobox lists his different birth name and conversion to Islam, but neither of these are in the lead.
- The second use of "he joined" a band here is not super clear. It usually means someone became a member of a band for the first time, but the second use is confusing - I assume it means he went to New York and played with the band he was already a member of there In the late 1960s, he joined Sabda Nada (later Gipsy), a band led by his neighbours, the Nasutions. In 1973, he joined the band to play in New York for a year.
- Did he live near Menteng (implies he was not in it) or was he a resident in it all along? After spending Chrisye's initial years on Talang Street near Menteng, Central Jakarta, in 1954 the family moved to Pegangsaan Street (also in Menteng).
- I realize Indonesian naming conventions are different, but shouldn't "Bamid Gauri" in some way have Nasution in his name? While attending GIKI Elementary School, Chrisye befriended the neighbouring Nasution family; he became especially close with Bamid Gauri.
- The language is decent but not great - the hardest criterion for most articles to meet at FAC is 1a, a professional level of English. For example, "urge" here is an odd word choice - perhaps "desire" would be better? In response to Chrisye's urge to play music, his father bought him a guitar
- Or the third paragraph of Early life uses "Chrisye" six times - for comparison the four paragraphs of the lead use CHrisye just four times
- Or the use of "routine" here - I think they had a regular gig / engagement The group had a regular routine at Mini Disko on Juanda Street and freelanced at birthday and wedding parties.
- The caption reads "Chrisye singing while playing the bass in 1977" but his mouth is closed - seems like he is not singing in the photo
- Unclear who he is here - the antecedent is Guruh, but I am pretty sure Chrisye is meant In 1972, Guruh received a phone call from Pontjo Nasution and was offered the chance to play in New York. Although he was ecstatic, he was afraid of telling his father since he thought his father would disapprove.
- Problem sentence: "the" is not needed and I would identify Vicky (which is usually a woman's name in English speaking countries): In
themid-1975, with several weeks left on his contract, his parents called him from Jakarta and told him that [his brother] Vicky had died of a stomach infection.
- MOS says to use a person's full name on first use, then use just one name afterwards unless there is more than one person with that name (to avoid confusion). So, for example, Jockie Soerjoprajogo is usually referred to as just Jockie after first use, but at least twice he is called Jockie Soerjoprajogo.
- I would add years / dates where possible to provide context to the reader. So giving at least the year for Jurang Pemisah would help, as would giving at least the year for Badai Pasti Berlalu. See After the success of "Lilin-Lilin Kecil", Pramaqua Records approached Chrisye and offered him an album, Jurang Pemisah .... After his later album Badai Pasti Berlalu took off...
- Watch WP:OVERLINKing - Badai Pasti Berlalu is linked twice in two paragraphs
- Watch for internal consistency. First sentence says Chrisye recorded the coundtrack (no others mentioned) "over a couple of months". Then the paragraph goes on to say that the soundtrack already existed in some form to win an award, and that a group recorded the new version in 21 days (which is less than one month). This is confusing and seems to be either contradictory or even factually incorrect in places.
- That same year, Chrisye recorded the soundtrack for Badai Pasti Berlalu over a couple of months. After the soundtrack won a Citra Award at the 1978 Indonesian Film Festival, Irama Mas studios approached the group to do a soundtrack album for a flat fee. With Chrisye and Berlian Hutauruk on vocals, the album was recorded in Pluit over a period of 21 days. It was released under the same name as the film, with a picture of actress Christine Hakim on the cover. After the song stagnated for a week, numerous radio stations began playing the singles and sales increased exponentially. It included Chrisye's first songwriting credit, "Merepih Alam" ("Fragile Nature").
- Sometimes the text is unclear / does not say things explicitly. Here it is never said what Widjaja wanted Chrisye to do - presumably sign a recor d contract? Chrisye's tenor voice and performance on Badai Pasti Berlalu led to Amin Widjaja of Musica Studios approaching him. Widjaja had been scouting him since the release of Guruh Gipsy. Chrisye agreed, on condition that he be allowed creative freedom.
- Yanti's brother Yaidy is mentioned only once - why was Chrisye visitng him?
- MOS says not to have images placed in articles so that they draw the reader's eyes off the screen - File:Gutawa 2004 1.JPG should be left justified so the singer faces into the page. Perhas do the same with the photo of Geln Fredly (though there are two figures there, so it is more balanced)
- The article has three fair use images of Chrisye and one fair use media file - make sure these all meet WP:NFCC - do they increase the reader's understanding, or are they just decorative? The more the article discusses what is shown in images, the better. So the lead image shows him old and ill and could be alluded to in the article. I would also somehow mention the image of him young and with his bass. The image of him at his wedding is not really discussed in the article either - the more they can become integrated into the text, the better.
- This needs a copyedit before it would stand much of a chance at FAC
- He only had three singles???
- There are two dead links that will need to be fixed (use the tool box on this PR page to see them)
- The refs seem OK - over half of them are to Endah's book, which may be questioned at FAC. Other sources would help - were there many obituaries after his death that might have useful information?
- Please make sure that the existing text includes no copyright violations, plagiarism, or close paraphrasing. *Please make sure that the existing text includes no copyright violations, plagiarism, or close paraphrasing. For more information on this please see Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2009-04-13/Dispatches. (This is a general warning given in all peer reviews, in view of previous problems that have risen over copyvios.)
Hope this helps. If my comments are useful, please consider peer reviewing an article, especially one at Wikipedia:Peer review/backlog (which is how I found this article). I do not watch peer reviews, so if you have questions or comments, please contact me on my talk page. Yours, Ruhrfisch ><>°° 16:41, 25 February 2012 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 19 external links on Chrisye. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120316143825/http://rollingstone.co.id:80/read/2011/02/08/181928/1563295/1099/150-lagu-indonesia-terbaik-sepanjang-masa to http://rollingstone.co.id/read/2011/02/08/181928/1563295/1099/150-lagu-indonesia-terbaik-sepanjang-masa
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://arsip.gatra.com/2007-04-14/versi_cetak.php?id=103442
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/04/09/chrisye-sings-new-song-concert.html
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/03/27/guess-what-fourth-chrisye-concert-coming.html
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://arsip.gatra.com/2005-03-01/versi_cetak.php?id=48483
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://arsip.gatra.com/2007-02-25/artikel.php?id=102468
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/11/22/alberthiene-endah-life-she-wrote.html
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/06/06/a-lesson-a-musical-legend.html
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://arsip.gatra.com/2008-08-22/versi_cetak.php?id=117530
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/lifeandtimes/warming-up-for-java-jazz/309170
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://entertainment.kompas.com/read/2012/04/06/15451674/Kidung.Abadi.Chrisye.Hidup.Kembali.dan.Bernyanyi.Lagi
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://arsip.gatra.com/2004-12-03/artikel.php?id=49888
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://arsip.gatra.com/2005-03-04/versi_cetak.php?id=53222
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2000/01/30/royalty-system-country039s-music-industry.html
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://arsip.gatra.com/2001-07-05/versi_cetak.php?id=7741
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://rollingstone.co.id/readfoto/2011/02/09/100247/1566877/1111/2/
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://us.showbiz.vivanews.com/news/read/96649-konser_classical_chrisye__a_night_to_remember
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://rollingstone.co.id/read/2011/02/08/171300/1562799/1099/the-immortals-25-artis-indonesia-terbesar-sepanjang-masa
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://rollingstone.co.id/read/2012/03/28/131331/1878863/1093/jelang-konser-kidung-abadi-buku-baru-chrisye-diterbitkan-hari-ini
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.