Talk:Henry Lee III
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Henry Lee III article.|
Moving unsourced genealogy to talk
Children with Matilda Lee
1. Nathanael Greene Lee (1784), who died in infancy.
2. Philip Ludwell Lee (1785-1792), who died young.
3. Lucy Grymes Lee (1786-1864), who married Bernard Moore Carter (1784-1850), son of Hon. Charles Carter, Sr. (1737-1802) and second wife, Anne Butler Moore (1756). Bernard was a younger brother of Henry's second wife, Anne Hill Carter (1773-1829).
4. Maj. Henry Lee IV "Black Horse" (1787-1837), who married Anne Robinson McCarty (1798-1840), daughter of Daniel McCarty IV, Gent. (d. 1801) and Margaret Robinson (1780-1808), who married second, Richard Stuart, Sr., Esq. (1770-1835).
5. Greene Lee (1790), who died same day.
Children with Anne Hill Carter
6. Algernon Sydney Lee (1795-1796), who died young.
10. Gen. Robert Edward Lee (1807-1870), who married Mary Anne Randolph Custis (1808-1873), daughter of George Washington Parke Custis, Esq. (1781-1857) (adopted son of Gen. George Washington) and Mary Lee Fitzhugh (1788-1853).
Lucy was the daughter of Hon. Charles Grymes (1693-1743) and Frances Jennings.
Please move back if citations provided. Toddstreat1 11:58, 2 October 2007 (UTC)
New article, restaurant named after Henry Lee III
I placed this template in the Marriages and children section because the child was more than 16 months old when he died, plus!!! his name is given below that as "Algernon Sidney Lee". How be it that he is then said to be "unnamed in infancy"? — Paine Ellsworth ( CLIMAX ) 23:40, 3 February 2011 (UTC)
- Not just dubious, but in blatant contradiction to the referenced entry giving his name and correct birth year (replacing a previous entry that read "Unnamed Infant (1796-1796)"). Since no one has stepped forward to defend the dubious "unnamed" claim, I'm deleting it entirely. --RBBrittain (talk) 03:50, 19 July 2011 (UTC)
2 corrections under "Life and career"
(1) Mary Bland was Henry Lee III"s grandmother, not great grandmother as stated. She was the daughter of his great grandfather Richard Bland. (2) Henry Lee III's father Henry Lee II was the first cousin of Richard Henry Lee, not second cousin as stated. Henry Lee II's father Henry Lee I and Richard Henry Lee's father Thomas Lee were brothers, not first cousins. Both these corrections can be verified on the various Wikipedia pages for the relatives mentioned. --126.96.36.199 (talk) 17:16, 5 April 2013 (UTC)
Ann or Anne?
In the article: "Lee married the wealthy Anne Hill Carter (1773–1829)" etc.
Google search results for "Anne Hill Carter" and "Ann Hill Carter":
- Both variants: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3
- Just Ann: 2.1, 2.2 (seems to be a transcript of a letter from "C. C. Lee" (Charles Carter Lee) to "Mrs Ann H. Lee" (Ann Hill Lee)), 2.3
Yesterday, wikipedia's DYK I think mentioned the anniversary of Lee's eulogy of Washington, it said at his funeral. Trouble is, Washington's funeral, according to many sources, including the Washington article, was on December 18. Second problem was the reflink for this entry, which was to a missing page, and that site's search engine didn't show where the page moved to. I sent an email to the maintaining entity, but haven't gotten a reply, presumably because many university libraries are closed this week. Most likely, IMHO, Lee delivered the eulogy at a subsequent memorial service. GW.edu seems to have previously had an online exhibit of memorials to the late president (and their namesake). I don't know if I'll be able to check this out sooner at my local library's local history room, which has the multi-multi- volume set of Washington papers.Jweaver28 (talk) 13:01, 27 December 2013 (UTC)