The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan
|The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan|
|Publisher(s)||Bandai Namco Entertainment|
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
|Release||August 30, 2019|
The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan is an upcoming interactive drama horror game developed by Supermassive Games and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment. It is set to be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2019.
The game is a horror game played from a third-person perspective, in which players assume control of five characters who are trapped in a ghost ship. Players need to make different decisions and select dialogue options when they are interacting with other characters. The narrative adapts to these choices and it is possible for players to keep all playable characters alive as well as having all of them die. Action sequences mainly feature quick time events. As players explore the ghost ship, they can find different dark pictures, which give the player character premonitions of what may happen in the future.
The game is being developed by Supermassive Games, which focused mainly on the PlayStation 4's titles for an extended period of time. Upon seeing the favourable reception to Until Dawn, the team realized that there was a market for interactive drama horror titles and wanted to expand the concept to a larger audience. The Dark Pictures was proposed as an anthology series. Supermassive stated that they would release a new game every 6 months in the anthology, and each title represents a horror trope and features a unique story that has no connection with other entries in the series. The game was inspired by the legend about the SS Ourang Medan, a ghost ship that had allegedly become a shipwreck in Dutch East Indies waters in the 1940s. Supermassive also hired noted actors including Shawn Ashmore and Pip Torrens to provide voice acting and motion capture for the game.
Supermassive and publisher Bandai Namco Entertainment officially announced the title on August 21, 2018. The game is set to be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on August 30, 2019.
- Samuels, Pete (August 21, 2018). "Until Dawn creator returns with The Dark Pictures Anthology, a series of standalone horror games for PS4". PlayStation Blog. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- Souppouris, Aaron (August 24, 2018). "'Man of Medan' could usher in a golden age of horror games". Engadget. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- Takahashi, Dean (April 2, 2019). "Man of Medan hands-on — Supermassive tries horror on the high seas". VentureBeat. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- Makuch, Eddie (May 8, 2019). "Why There Is No Until Dawn 2". GameSpot. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- Wallace, Kimberly (May 7, 2019). "The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan - Five Big Takeaways From Our Hands-On With Supermassive's Next Big Venture". Game Informer. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- Roberts, Samuel (November 1, 2018). "The new trailer for horror game Man of Medan reveals its spooky curator". PC Gamer. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- Donnelly, Joe (August 21, 2018). "The Dark Pictures is a horror anthology series from the creators of Until Dawn". PC Gamer. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- Moyse, Chris (November 21, 2018). "Upcoming Horror Title Man of Medan Receives Dramatic Extended Trailer". Destructoid. Retrieved May 15, 2019.