The Martinez Brothers
The Martinez Brothers
|Also known as||Martinez Bros, TMB|
|Origin||Bronx, New York|
|Genres||House, Techno, Tech House, Hip Hop|
|Labels||Objektivity, Tuskegee, Cuttin Headz|
|Members||Steve Martinez, Chris Martinez|
The Martinez Brothers are a Puerto Rican-American duo of disc jockeys, music producers, and remixers from The Bronx, New York known for their long-term residencies at clubs in Ibiza. In 2014 they were named as DJs of the year by Mixmag, who wrote that "no other DJ or DJ duo encapsulates house music in 2014 like the crown princes of DC10."
Early years and founding
The Martinez Brothers are a house DJ/producer duo born and raised in the New York borough known as the Bronx. Steven and Chris Martinez were introduced to music from a young age, when their father took it upon himself to provide a musical upbringing, involving the boys in the church band. There they would collaborate with much older musicians, performing genres as diverse as disco, soul, and salsa. Their father eventually brought them their first set of DJ equipment, encouraging their interest in pursuing dance music as a career, and remaining supportive ever since.
Early club residencies
As the brothers grew older, and continued to work on their music production, they were increasingly exposed to New York's dance music scene. After hearing their sets, DJ Dennis Ferrer began mentoring the duo, helping them branch out through his contacts and helping them book gigs at a number of notable New York venues. Dennis also signed them to his record label Objektivity.
In 2011 they were invited to Ibiza, Spain for their first DJ residency, where they were to begin spinning at the club Ushuaïa alongside their former tutor Dennis Ferrer. However this arrangement fell through at the last minute, and they instead approached friend and DC-10 booker, Elliot Shaw, who managed to secure a last-minute residency for the brothers. They have held regular residencies at the Ibizan club ever since.
|"Between The Beats: The Martinez Brothers" documentary by Resident Advisor (Sep 25, 2013)|
|Video of The Martinez Brothers Boiler Room Ibiza DJ Set at Boiler Room (Aug 29, 2014)|
As of 2014 The Martinez Brothers have maintained a busy international touring schedule. Featuring many performances on behalf of their collaborative label Tuskegee Records alongside co-label owner Seth Troxler. Tuskegee doubles up as a music and fashion label.
In 2014 they worked directly with high end fashion designer Riccardo Tisci to create the soundtrack for Givenchy’s menswear and women’s wear fall/winter 2014 and spring 2015 collections. They have also launched their own label, Cuttin’ Headz. Showcasing both their own music and productions from other artists. In 2014 they were named as DJs of the year by UK dance music publication Mixmag, and as a result were placed on the front cover for the December edition of the print magazine. Mixmag wrote that "no other DJ or DJ duo encapsulates house music in 2014 like the crown princes of DC10."
Also in 2014 they were the only non-Chic cohorts to be invited by Nile Rodgers to contribute on his upcoming album It’s About Time. The Martinez Brothers added percussion on the lead single "I’ll Be There." In May 2015, they released their free EP Masters At Dutch.
Beyond their club residencies and performances at nightclubs such as Club Space in Miami, the duo maintains an active international touring schedule. In 2009 they performed at Electric Daisy Carnival in California to a crowd of approximately 60,000 attendees. They performed at the Detroit Electronic Music Festival for DEMF 2010 and later at DEMF 2014. In 2011 they performed at Electric Zoo Festival in Randall's Island in New York City, and the IndepenDANCE Pool Party in Miami. In 2012 they performed at Rock in Rio Lisboa V, as a headlining act at the Eletrónica Heineken stage. In 2014 they performed at festivals such as Lovebox and Creamfields in England, as well as Escapade Music Festival in Canada. They also performed at The BPM Festival held in Mexico in 2015 and at Tomorrowland in Belgium during the summer.
- Chris Martinez (2007–present) - deejaying
- Steven Martinez (2007–present) - deejaying
Awards and rankings
|2014||Mixmag Rankings||The Martinez Brothers||The Top 20 DJs of 2014||No. 1|
|Year||Album title||Release details|
|2014||Cuttin Headz Expose||
|2010||Don’t No Yet||Objektivity||Vinyl/digital (in US)|
|Vinyl (Nov 19, 2014 in US)|
|2015||Masters At Dutch||Digital (May 2015 in US/EUR)|
|2007||"My Rendition"||Single||Objektivity||12" vinyl/digital|
|2009||"Debbie Downer" (with Argy)||2 track single/
|Vinyl/digital (2009, US/EUR)|
(with Argy and DJ Duke)
|3 track single||These Days||Vinyl (May 13, 2009, GER)|
|2010||"Broke In The BX"||Fabric 54||Objektivity|
|2011||"The Causeway" / "Issshhh!"||Split single||Vinyl/digital (US)|
|2012||"H 2 Da Izzo"||Single||Real Tone||Vinyl/digital (FR)|
|2013||"The Hat Trick"
(with Mass Prod)
|2 track single||Cuttin' Headz||Vinyl (Sep 2013)|
|2014||"What's The Point"
(with Point G and Filsonik)
|Single||Ever Lasting Love||Vinyl (Jun 31, 2014)|
|"Space & Time"
(with Seth Troxler)
|Tuskegee Music||Vinyl (Jun 2014, GER)|
|2014||"I'll Be There"
(with Chic featuring Nile Rodgers)
(with Carnage featuring Elderbrook and Mike Dean)
- Interviews and articles
- "School-Age D.J.'s, Old-School Style". The New York Times. January 2, 2009.
- "The Martinez Brothers talk Ibiza, God, and a hip-hop record in the works". Beatport. August 27, 2012.
- "Hot DJs the Martinez Brothers Keep New York's House Tradition Alive". Rolling Stone. November 13, 2013.
- "We caught up with house and techno siblings The Martinez Brothers to talk Circus, Ibiza and jamming with Seth Troxler". Skiddle. April 25, 2014.
- "Take a Listen to the Martinez Brothers' Soundtrack from Riccardo Tisci's Spring 2015 Givenchy Show". Vogue. October 10, 2014. Archived from the original on February 2, 2016.
- "The Martinez Brothers launch DIY label Cuttin' Headz". Huck Magazine. November 10, 2014.
- "Seth Troxler on his new project Tuskegee, US race relations, and the deeper meaning to music". The Independent. December 8, 2014.
- "The top 20 DJs of 2014". mixmag. December 24, 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Orlov, Piotr (January 2, 2009). "School-Age D.J.'s, Old-School Style". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Between the Beats: The Martinez Brothers'". Resident Advisor. September 25, 2013. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "The Martinez Brothers talk Ibiza, God, and a hip-hop record in the works". Beatport. August 27, 2012. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Matos, Micaelangelo (November 13, 2013). "Hot DJs the Martinez Brothers Keep New York's House Tradition Alive". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- King, Alex (November 10, 2014). "The Martinez Brothers launch DIY label Cuttin' Headz". Huck Magazine. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "We caught up with house and techno siblings The Martinez Brothers to talk Circus, Ibiza and jamming with Seth Troxler". Skiddle. April 25, 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Cotterill, Andrew (May 13, 2015). "The Martinez Brothers". MixMag. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Seth Troxler on his new project Tuskegee, US race relations, and the deeper meaning to music". The Independent. December 8, 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Brown, Jacob (October 10, 2014). "Take a Listen to the Martinez Brothers' Soundtrack from Riccardo Tisci's Spring 2015 Givenchy Show". Vogue. Archived from the original on October 13, 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Rodriguez, Krystal (January 17, 2014). "Watch: The Martinez Brothers create stylish soundtrack for Givenchy fashion show". inthemix. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Polonsky, Sarah (February 2015). "It's About Time". DJ Mag USA. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Mallalieu, Elizabeth (January 31, 2014). "Nile Rodgers & The Martinez Brothers Collaborating?". Pulse Radio. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Nile Rodgers to perform with late bandmates on new album". Daily Express. September 30, 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Gardner, Ross (May 13, 2015). "My City Goes Harder: The Martinez Brothers on New York". MixMag. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Martinez Brothers, The". Discogs. Retrieved 2014-05-09.