The Sims Castaway Stories
|The Sims Castaway Stories|
American cover art
Electronic Arts (PC)|
Aspyr Media (Mac)
|Platform(s)||Windows, Mac OS X|
Mac OS X
Mac App Store
|Genre(s)||Life simulation game|
The Sims Castaway Stories features the choice of either playing in a story-driven mode titled "Shipwrecked and Single" or a more sandbox "Wanmami Island".
Shipwrecked and Single
In "Shipwrecked and Single" mode, the player is subjected to a scenario-driven style of gameplay. The player must choose whether to play as David Bennett, Jessica Knight, or a customized Sim, who boards a cruise ship for singles named Solomon Queen, only to have it crash and leave them drifting on the ocean clinging to a crate. The crate happens to float onto land, after which the player is left to help the Sim survive. This game is very controlled.
Gameplay on Wanmami Island is much more open-ended, enabling gameplay reminiscent of more traditional Sims games. The player is allowed to design their own Family and start Jobs as in The Jobs 5, The Jobs 6 & The Jobs 7.
Comparison to other The Sims series
- The clock format used in the game is represented visually instead of numerically. There are 8 orbs representing the 24 hours of the day, with 1 orb being equivalent to 3 hours.
- The currency used in the game are Resources rather than Simoleons. Sims can choose a career as a Gatherer, Hunter, or Crafter in an effort to earn Food and Resources. All jobs have the same working hours and Sims are to work daily. However, there are no penalties for missing work.
- All of the objects, clothing, and building tools available in the Sims series are designed to fit the Tropical and Tiki themes. Also, most of the icons used in the game are also designed to fit into the theme.
- If a Sim wants to go to a community lot, they must go through a portal and go to adjacent lots, or they can simply use their map for instant travel.
- Unlike the other releases in The Sims Stories series, The Sims Castaway Stories offers one 24-chapter story, compared to The Sims Life Stories and The Sims Pet Stories which offer two 12-chapter stories. Moreover, some of the rewards are not directly delivered to the main character. They have to dig at the shore to unlock them.
- The Sims Castaway allows multiple player profiles to be saved, saving the need to delete profiles to reset the game. However, sometimes this may interfere with one of the other files.
The Sims Castaway Stories was generally well received. GameRankings has an average score of 77% based on 7 reviews, while Metacritic has a score of 73%. PC Gamer US gave the game an 83%, praising the low system requirements, the music, the original setting, as well as the low retail price, but noting that there are a few bugs and long loading times. IGN gave the game an overall score of 7.3 out of 10, stating "The Sims: Castaway Stories is the first game in the entire series that really feels different despite being based on the same engine and principles", but also saying that there is little to no replayability. Some critics enjoyed the game less than others, however. PC Zone said "By peddling this sort of single-minded crud to children EA are creating a new generation of absolute morons who won't be able to think one step ahead of themselves."
- "The Sims Stories". EA. August 1, 2007. Archived from the original on June 3, 2007. Retrieved August 1, 2007.
- "The Sims Castaway Stories". Amazon.com. August 1, 2007. Retrieved January 7, 2018.
- "The Sims Castaway Stories". Archived from the original on February 14, 2016. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- "The Sims Castaway Stories (PC: 2008) Reviews". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. Retrieved January 7, 2018.
- "The Sims Castaway Stories (PC: 2008) Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved January 7, 2018.
- Steve Hogarty (March 13, 2008). "The Sims Castaway Stories review". GamesRadar+. Retrieved January 7, 2018.
- Habib, John (February 4, 2008). "The Sims: Castaway Stories". Retrieved January 7, 2018.
- Dulac, Anthony (October 2008). "The Sims: Castaway Stories". PC Gamer US (174). Future Publishing. p. 81.
- "The Sims Castaway Stories". Games Like Finder. Retrieved January 7, 2018.