Thomas Ashton, 4th Baron Ashton of Hyde
|The Lord Ashton of Hyde|
|Father||Thomas John Ashton|
|Mother||Pauline Trewlove Brackenbury|
|Born||18 July 1958|
Thomas Henry Ashton, 4th Baron Ashton of Hyde (born 18 July 1958), is the eldest son of Thomas Ashton, 3rd Baron Ashton of Hyde and Pauline Trewlove Brackenbury. He succeeded his father as Baron Ashton of Hyde on the latter's death on 2 August 2008.
Education and career
He attended Eton College, and Trinity College, Oxford. He gained the rank of Lieutenant with the Royal Wessex Yeomanry and Royal Hussars. He held the position of Chief Executive Officer at Berkshire Hathaway-owned Lloyd's businesses Faraday Underwriting Ltd, and Faraday Reinsurance Co. Ltd, from 2005 - 2013. From 2010 - 2013 he sat on the Council of Lloyds.
He was elected to the House of Lords in July 2011, where he sits as a Conservative. In July 2014 he was appointed a Lord in Waiting and whip in the House of Lords as part of Prime Minister David Cameron's government reshuffle. In July 2016 he was appointed Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department for Culture, Media & Sport.
He married Emma Louise Allinson, daughter of Colin Allinson and Alison Palmer (née Bartholomew) in 1987, and has four daughters:
- Hon. Harriet Emily Ashton (born 11 July 1990)
- Hon. Isabel Louise Ashton (born 22 September 1992)
- Hon. Flora Juliet Ashton (born 17 April 1995)
- Hon. Matilda Hermione Ashton (born 2 February 2000)
- "Conservative Hereditary Peers' By-election, July 2011: Result" (PDF). House of Lords. July 20, 2011. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- "Lord Ashton of Hyde". GOV.UK. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- ‘ASHTON OF HYDE’, Who's Who 2010, A & C Black, 2010; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2009
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Baron Ashton of Hyde
Hon. John Ashton
|This biography of a baron in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|