|• Total||55,434 |
|Time zone||UTC+3:30 (IRST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+4:30 (IRDT)|
Tonekabon (Persian: تنكابن, also Romanized as Tonekābon; formerly known as Shahsavar (Persian: شَهسَوار), also Romanized as Shahsavār and Shahsawār) is a city and capital of Tonekabon County, Mazandaran Province, northern Iran.
In its northern regions it has a moderate and humid climate and in the southern portions cold weather prevails. Cheshmeh Kileh River is located in this city.
The territory of Shahsavar was originally part of Gilan. Numerous evidences discovered in various parts of the region, indicate that it was a flourishing city in past. The ancient Tonekabon came under the realm of the Royan territory, also called Rostamdar. The Padusbanan held the power of this vicinity till the reign of Shah Abbas Safavid I. Thereafter until the year 1209 CE. which was the beginning of the reign of Aqa Mohammad Khan Qajar and the Qajar dynasty, the city was known as Feiz.
After downfall of the Qajar dynasty, the city was renamed Shahsavar. After the 1979 Revolution the name was returned to its original historic one, Tonekabon. Most present-day people of the city still use the "Shahsavar" name.
A famous variety of orange, Shahsavari Orange, is grown in the city and bears its former name. The other products of Shahsavar are kiwi fruit, rice, and tea. Shahsavar has a semi tropical climate. The temperature is mild all the year.
The "Ghalegardan high lands" and "Dohezar Valley" are famous resort areas in the Alborz (Elburz) mountain range, southwest of Shahsavar. There are also dense forests in Dohezar and the Sehezar Road areas of the Alborz.
- Benyamin Bahadori (born 1982), singer
- Moslem Bahadori (born 1927), pathologist
- Shahab Hosseini (born 1974), actor
- Shamseddin Hosseini (born 1967), politician
- Foad Manshadi (born 1987), musician
- Jamshid Mashayekhi (born 1934), actor
- Javad Asghari Moghaddam (born 1979), futsal player
- Mohammad Mokhtari (born 1983), football player
- Ladan Mostofi (born 1972), actor
- Parisa (born 1950), singer
- Ali Akbar Shiroodi (1955–1981), pilot
- Kourosh Sotoodeh (born 1978), photographer
- Mohammad Vali Khan Tonekaboni (1846–1926), politician
- Mohammad Zohari (1926–1995), poet
- Tonekabon can be found at GEOnet Names Server, at this link, by opening the Advanced Search box, entering "-3087648" in the "Unique Feature Id" form, and clicking on "Search Database".
- "Census of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1385 (2006)". Islamic Republic of Iran. Archived from the original (Excel) on 2011-11-11.
- High quality photo gallery of Shahsavar (Tonekabon)
- Gallery of Shahsavar (Tonekabon)
- http://toniau.ac.ir/ Islamic Azad University of Tonekabon
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tonekabon.|