Tony Tan (entrepreneur)
|Tony Tan Caktiong|
|Born||Tony Tan Caktiong
January 5, 1953
|Education||Chiang Kai Shek College|
|Alma mater||University of Santo Tomas|
|Occupation||Founder and chairman of Jollibee|
|Net worth||US$3 Billion (January 2017)|
Tony Tan Caktiong (simplified Chinese: 陈觉中; traditional Chinese: 陳覺中; pinyin: Chén Juézhōng; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Tân Kak-tiong; born January 5, 1953) is a Filipino-Chinese entrepreneur. He is the founder, chairman and CEO of the Filipino fast food chain Jollibee.
Early career and education
Tan was born to Chinese immigrant parents from Fujian. He attended high school at Chiang Kai Shek College and graduated from the University of Santo Tomas with a degree in chemical engineering. Tan had initially planned an ice cream parlor when he founded Jollibee, then added dishes such as hamburgers, french fries, and fried chicken.
Tan founded the fast food chain Jollibee in 1978, after having started it as an ice cream parlor in 1975. Through expansion and acquisitions of Greenwich Pizza  Corp. which enabled it to enter the pizza-pasta segment. In early 2006, Jollibee Foods Corp. bought out the remaining shares of its partners in Greenwich Pizza Corporation, equivalent to a 20% stake, for P384 million in cash. As of August 2008, Tan's Jollibee has a total of 1,480 stores worldwide including Jollibee, Red Ribbon, Chowking, Greenwich, Manong Pepe's, Mang Inasal and Tita Frita's Uling Uling.
- "Tony Tan Caktiong". Forbes. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- Go, Josiah (2001). Fundamentals of Marketing: In The Philippine Setting. Quezon City, Philippines: Design Plus. pp. 1–2. ISBN 971-91860-5-4.
- Ordinario, Cai U. (2006-01-18). "Jollibee Foods buys out partner in Greenwich Pizza". BUSINESS. The Manila Times Internet Edition. Archived from the original on 2007-06-21. Retrieved 2007-03-12.
- "Restaurant chain trains staff, bags corporate social responsibility award". Cebu. Sun.Star Publishing, Inc.
- Arcibal, Cheryl M. "Jollibee group buys out partner in Delifrance". BUSINESS. The Manila Times Internet Edition ss/20061111bus4.html.
- "Philippine fast-food giant acquires China chain". Afp.google.com. 2007-09-20. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- based-restaurant "gmanews.tv, Jollibee to acquire entire stake in China-based restaurant" Check
|url=value (help). Gmanews.tv. 2008-08-26. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- Food industry giant founder is Philippines' first Entrepreneur Of The Year Archived February 20, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
|This business-related biographical article from the Philippines is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|