Triangle Lake, Oregon
View from the Lane County park at the lake
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|Area code(s)||458 and 541|
|GNIS feature ID||1130796|
Triangle Lake is an unincorporated community in Lane County, Oregon, United States. It is about 25 miles (40 km) west of Junction City on Oregon Route 36, on the southwest side of the lake of same name. Lake Creek, a tributary of the Siuslaw River, enters and exits the lake. Triangle Lake is closely linked to the unincorporated community of Blachly, on the northeast side of the lake, and the two communities share the K-12 Triangle Lake School, the only school in Blachly School District. Triangle Lake is served by the Blachly post office and the Pioneer Telephone Cooperative.
The 293-acre (1.19 km2) lake has had various names over the years, including Loon Lake, Lake of the Woods, and Echo Lake, but the name Triangle Lake (after the lake's shape) became the official name in the early 1900s. Before Fern Ridge Reservoir was completed in 1941, the lake was the most popular local spot for water sports.
Fish species in the lake, which reaches a depth of 90 feet (27 m), include largemouth bass, bluegill, yellow perch, brown bullhead, kokanee, and cutthroat trout. The kokanee, landlocked sockeye salmon, thrive in the deep water, while good bass habitat is found along the south and east shores.
- "Triangle Lake". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved April 1, 2008.
- "United States Topographic Map". United States Geological Survey. Retrieved April 7, 2016 – via Acme Mapper.
- Public Utility Commission of Oregon (May 4, 1998). "Order No. 98-185". Retrieved April 1, 2008.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; Lewis L. McArthur (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (Seventh ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 93. ISBN 0-87595-277-1.
- "Triangle Lake". Lane County, Oregon. Retrieved April 30, 2016.
- Sheehan, Madelynne Diness (2005). Fishing in Oregon: The Complete Oregon Fishing Guide (10th ed.). Scappoose, Oregon: Flying Pencil Publications. p. 49. ISBN 0-916473-15-5.
- Historic images of round barn near Triangle Lake from Salem Public Library