|First Nation (Designated Authority)
(Sambaa K'e Dene Band)
|Census division||Region 4|
|• Chief||Dolphus Jumbo|
|• Band Manager||Ruby Jumbo|
|• MLA||Kevin Menicoche|
|• Land||119.51 km2 (46.14 sq mi)|
|Elevation||495 m (1,624 ft)|
|• Density||0.8/km2 (2/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|Canadian Postal code||X0E 1Z0|
|- Living cost||152.5A|
|- Food price index||122.2B|
Department of Municipal and Community Affairs,
Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre,
Canada Flight Supplement
^A 2009 figure based on Edmonton = 100
^B 2010 figure based on Yellowknife = 100
Sambaa K'e (Slavey language: "place of trout"[pronunciation?]; formerly Trout Lake) is a "Designated Authority" in the Dehcho Region of the Northwest Territories, Canada. The community is located near the Alberta border, east of Fort Liard, on the shore of the lake also known as Sambaa K'e. It has no all-weather road, but can be reached by winter road early in the year or by air (Trout Lake Airport) year-round.
On June 21, 2016, the settlement officially changed its name from "Trout Lake" to "Sambaa K'e", its name in the Slavey language, meaning "place of trout".
|Sources: NWT Bureau of Statistics (2001 - 2012)|
The community has a small general store and a health center and no RCMP. Canada Post mail arrives weekly by charter plane. Residents can order books, movies and CDs through the Borrow by Mail program offered by the NWT Public Library Services. There is a small airport, Trout Lake Airport, and in the summer Trout Lake Water Aerodrome is in operation.
The community runs the Sambaa K'e Fishing Lodge, an authentic northern fishing experience, in the summer months.
- Trout Lake, SET Northwest Territories (Census subdivision)
- "NWT Communities - Sambaa-k'e". Government of the Northwest Territories: Department of Municipal and Community Affairs. Retrieved 2017-10-29.
- "Northwest Territories Official Community Names and Pronunciation Guide". Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre. Yellowknife: Education, Culture and Employment, Government of the Northwest Territories. Archived from the original on 2016-01-13. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 17 August 2017 to 0901Z 12 October 2017.
- Trout Lake - Statistical Profile at the GNWT
- Trout Lake, N.W.T., changes its name to Sambaa K'e
- Differences in Community Government Structure
- Sambaa K’e Dene Band at the Dehcho First Nations
- Trout Lake Infrastructure Profile