This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2014)
|Yu Yongfu (President)|
|Products||mobile web browser, |
mobile search engine, etc.
UCWeb Inc. (also known as UC Mobile) is a Chinese mobile Internet company that offers products and services including mobile browser, UC News, and search. Its flagship product, UC Browser, topped the Chinese, Indonesian and Indian markets in 2013.
UCWeb was founded in 2004 as a mobile browser maker; over the past decade it expanded to diversified areas such as mobile search, mobile gaming, mobile reading, etc. The company's UC Browser is the most popular of its kind in China with more than 66% market share, according to market researcher iResearch. It's also the No. 1 browser in India with upwards of 34% market share, via StatCounter. It's available in 11 languages (English, Hindi, Russian, Indonesian, Vietnamese, etc.) and on all major mobile OS platform (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Java ME, Blackberry, etc.). The browser prides itself in fast pageload and economic data consumption made available by its data compression technology and a cloud system. UC Browser has over 500 million users around the globe, as of March 2014.
In June 2014, UCWeb was acquired by Alibaba Group in the largest Chinese Internet merger deal through which UCWeb will form the Alibaba UC mobile business group by assimilating and consolidating part of mobile-related businesses within the Alibaba Group. After the merger, under the leadership of Yu Yongfu, chief executive of UCWeb since 2006, the Alibaba UC mobile business group will oversee the browser, search, location-based service, app store, mobile gaming and mobile reader operations.
- "Alibaba Group Completes Full Acquisition and Integration of UCWeb". Alibaba Group. 2014-06-11.
- company profile, BusinessWeek
- UCWeb becomes first Chinese Internet company to hit No. 1 in India, adds Jack Ma to board, PandoDaily, Aug 21, 2013
- Alibaba-Backed UCWeb Scouts for Mobile Acquisitions, Bloomberg, Jan 16, 2014
- How UCWeb grew its dominant mobile browser position in China to create the UC 9Game platform, PocketGamer, Jun 12, 2014
- 2013年中国手机浏览器行业分析报告, iResearch, Feb 14, 2014
- Mobile browser-maker UCWeb, another global tech firm under the radar, crosses 500m users, TheNextWeb, Mar 21, 2014
- Alibaba, UCWeb plan mobile-search joint venture, MarketWatch, Apr 28, 2014
- Alibaba, UCWeb Team Up In Mobile Search, Forbes magazine, Apr 28. 2014
- Alibaba to buy out UCWeb in China's biggest internet merger, Reuters, June 11, 2014
- Alibaba Fully Buys Out UCWeb in China's Biggest Internet Deal Ever, Forbes magazine, June 11, 2014
- Alibaba Buys Remaining Stake in UCWeb, Wall Street Journal, June 11, 2014
- Alibaba to Acquire Rest of UCWeb to Boost Mobile Offering, Bloomberg, June 11, 2014
- UCWeb to accelerate international expansion after Alibaba merger, PCWorld, June 12, 2014
- Research group says UC Browser, owned by Alibaba, found to leak data - Reuters, 21 May 2015
- Spy agencies target mobile phones, app stores to implant spyware - CBC, 22 May 2015