Christmas decorations at UST. Paskuhan month, 2007
|Inaugurated||19 December 1991|
|Most recent||18 December 2015|
|Previous event||11 December 2014|
The Paskuhan is the culmination of the university wide Christmas activities of the University of Santo Tomas in Manila, Philippines. The annual tradition started in 1991. The programs of Paskuhan were held during the last week or last day before the Christmas break of the university. In 2014, however, because of the change in the academic calendar of the university, it was scheduled in the Feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8, 2014. It was later rescheduled to December 11, 2014 because of Typhoon Ruby.
One of the highlights of the celebration is the Panunuluyan or the re-enactment of the Virgin Mary and St. Joseph's search for a place for Mary to give birth to Jesus Christ. The Paskuhan Mass comes shortly after and is usually presided by the university rector. Current students and university employees are also treated in the Agape or the campus-wide banquet. The Agape in Paskuhan started in 2011, following the Agape of the Quadricentennial Celebration.
In some editions of the Paskuhan, the celebration started with a festive parade from the different faculties and colleges.
The first Christmas celebration in the university was held on December 19, 1991 with the theme, “Paskong Tomasino, Paskong Filipino ’91.” It featured a Holy Mass, held in the UST Grandstand, the Panunuluyan, which was participated by the different faculties and colleges, and an inter-collegiate lantern-making contest. A 14-foot Christmas tree was also erected at the UST Grandstand where students placed their donations for the victims of the Mount Pinatubo eruption and Tropical Storm Uring (International name: Thelma) in Ormoc City.
It was in 1993 that the celebration was formally named as Paskuhan. The celebration was a simple gathering spearheaded by the then UST Treasurer Fr. Tereso Campillo, O.P.
A more festive Paskuhan was held in 1994 to celebrate the upcoming World Youth Day on January 1995. It featured for the first time the 80-foot Christmas tree, which was first designed by UST College of Architecture and Fine Arts professor Rey Mañago.
In 2004, funds for the celebration were donated to the victims of the 4 typhoons that struck the country.
Present day (2009-present)
In 2009, the Paskuhan was entitled as, 4 horas, 4 dias, 4 hundred days, 400 years to coincide with the University's countdown programs of the Quadricentennial Year. The celebration began at 8:00 p.m. of December 18, until 12:00am of December 19, which was 4 days before December 22, exactly 400 days before January 28, 2011.
The Paskuhan Mass in 2012 was celebrated by the Very Rev. Bruno Cadoré, O.P., the Master of the Order of Preachers and chancellor of the university. Rev. Fr. Herminio Dagohoy, O.P., the university rector, served as the homilist.
In 2013, the celebration served for a cause as mass offerings were donated to the victims of Super Typhoon Yolanda (International name: Haiyan).
In 2014, the Paskuhan festivities were moved from December 8 to December 11 because of Typhoon Ruby (International name: Hagupit). The forthcoming visit of Pope Francis to the university in January 2015 became the main theme of the celebration.
The programs in the 2015 edition were likewise modified because of the Typhoon Nona (International name: Melor). The Mass was moved to the Quadricentennial Pavilion and the concert was held at the UST Practice Gym.
|Date||Title||English translation||Estimated crowd||Ref.|
|December 19, 1991||Paskong Tomasino: Paskong Filipino ’91||Thomasian Christmas: Filipino Christmas ’91|||
|December 16, 2004|||
|December 20, 2006||Pride, Puso, Pasasalamat!||Pride, Heart, Thanksgiving!|
|December 15–19, 2008||Kwentong Pasko, Kwentong Tomasino!||The Christmas Story, the Thomasian Story|||
|December 18, 2009||4 horas, 4 dias, 400 days, 400 taon||4 hours, 4 days, 400 days, 400 years||50,000|||
|December 15–17, 2010||Pasasalamat sa 400 Taong Biyaya||Giving thanks to 400 Years of Grace||75,000|||
|December 15–16, 2011||Pagsalubong para sa ika-5 Siglo||Gathering for the 5th Century||100,000|||
|December 18 and 21, 2012||Pagdiriwang sa Pananampalataya||Celebration and Worship||70,000|||
|December 20, 2013||Pasko sa Puso ko||Christmas in my Heart||60,000|||
|December 11, 2014||Pagdiriwang ng Pagmamalasakit:
Tomasino Kaisa ni Papa Francisco at ng Simbahan sa Pasko.
Paskuhan Full Blast
|Celebration of Compassion:
Thomasians One with Pope Francis and the Church in Christmas.
Paskuhan Full Blast
|December 17-18, 2015||A Thomasian Celebration of Christmas
and the Jubilees of Mercy
and 800th Dominican Foundation Year.
|December 15-16, 2016||Paskong Tomasino Para Sa‘yo||Thomasian Christmas for you||60,000|||
|December 1-20, 2017||K.o.K. King of Kings||N/A||60,000|
|December 3-21, 2018||Light from Light, Prince of Peace||N/A||Tentative|
Pyrotechnic display has always culminated the celebration. Since 2011, pyromusical has become part of the program.
Projection mapping was incorporated in 2015, where the UST Main Building was used as the surface.
|Date||Location and music||Ref.|
Theme: Party Rock
Recent celebration with no firework display
- Cangco, Elora Joselle (17 December 2012). "Ang Paskong Tomasino (The Thomasian Christmas)" (in Filipino). The Varsitarian. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- UST moves college opening to July site, ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs, retrieved December 26, 2014
- #InquirerSeven UST Paskuhan 2014: Yea or nay?, Lifestyle, Philippine Daily Inquirer. December 14, 2014.
- Paskuhan 2013 draws crowd of 60,000 The Varsitarian. Accessed December 21, 2014.
- Christmas in our hearts Archived 2014-12-27 at the Wayback Machine The Varsitarian Vol. LXXVI, No. 8 • December 16, 2004. Accessed December 26, 2014.
- Lubang, Nina; Paje, Kacelyn Faye (16 December 2009). "Ang tradisyon ng pagbibigayan sa Paskuhan (The Tradition of Sharing every Paskuhan)" (in Filipino). The Varsitarian. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- Paskuhan mirrors Thomasian charity, solidarity, spirituality. The Varsitarian Vol. LXXXVII, No. 5 • December 15, 2015. Accessed March 26, 2016.
- Paskuhan draws crowd of 50,000 The Varsitarian. December 19, 2009.
- UST celebrates centuries of Christian faith with Paskuhan 2012 www.gmanetwork.com. Accessed December 21, 2014.
- UST's Paskuhan Postponed due to Typhoon Ruby, Lifestyle, Philippine Daily Inquirer. December 6, 2014.
- UST Holds Paskuhan 2008 UST.edu.ph Accessed December 17, 2011
- Breaking News - Paskuhan looks forward to UST's fifth century The Varsitarian. December 17, 2011.
- UST holds Paskuhan 2010 as a Celebration of Thanksgiving UST.edu.ph Accessed December 17, 2011
- UST Paskuhan draws crowd of 70,000 The Varsitarian. Accessed December 28, 2012.
- Paskuhan pushes through despite rain The Varsitarian. Accessed December 28, 2016.
- LOOK: UST’s Paskuhan 2016: Honoring Xmas with a meaningful homily and lots of festive fun site, News5, retrieved December 28, 2016
- Starburst: Fireworks at 2014 UST Paskuhan, UP Lantern Parade, Lifestyle, Philippine Daily Inquirer. December 18, 2014.