University of Seoul
Motto in English
|Truth, Creation, Public Service|
|Established||May 1, 1918|
|President||Won,Yun Hi (원윤희·元允喜)|
|Location||Seoul, South Korea|
|Campus||Urban (66.87 acres)|
|Affiliations||Seoul Metropolitan Government|
|University of Seoul|
|Revised Romanization||Seoul Sirip Daehakgyo|
|McCune–Reischauer||Sŏul Shirip Taehakkyo|
The University of Seoul (UOS) (Korean: 서울시립대학교) is a public university located in Seoul, Korea. It was founded as Kyung Sung Public Agricultural College in 1918 and renamed the University of Seoul in 1997. UOS is one of top 3 universities without medical school in Korea in 2012. According to 2015 report from The Times Higher Education, UOS ranked 7th among the all Korean universities and 49th among all the Asian universities. In another survey, UOS ranked 14th in the Asian midsize universities. UOS was reported the best value public university in Korea, with high financial investment and scholarship amount per student. Students' affinity to the school was ranked in the first place and students' satisfaction is in the second according to a 2010 survey. UOS is famous for a large number of alumni working as national or municipal government officials. UOS is specialized in College of Urban Science and has top-tier programs of environmental engineering, taxation, and urban administration.
In 2012, the mayor of Seoul, PARK Won-Soon, implemented a campaign promise, "Half-priced tuition" as soon as he started his term. The half-priced tuition was initiated in UOS first so that it would drive other universities to decrease their tuition. In 2013, UOS tuition per semester ranged from $915 to $1,441 (two semesters a year, 1,117.3 won/$ in 2013). Because of high quality of education and low tuition of UOS, admission process has been more competitive. And student's satisfaction is still very high. In 2012, the registration rate of new students was very high (96%) and the withdrawal rate of students was extremely low (0.97%), compared with other universities in Seoul.
Because UOS students think that they take a lot of financial and educational benefits from the Seoul government, most of them participate in social works. Number of social work volunteers in 2012 was 3,105 and is expected to increase.
- 1 Overview
- 2 History
- 3 Academics
- 3.1 Colleges
- 3.1.1 College of Public affairs and Economics
- 3.1.2 College of Business Administration
- 3.1.3 College of Engineering
- 3.1.4 College of Humanities
- 3.1.5 College of Natural Science
- 3.1.6 College of Urban Science
- 3.1.7 College of Arts and Physical Education
- 3.1.8 School of Liberal Studies
- 3.1.9 Division of Liberal Arts and Teacher’s Education
- 3.2 Graduate School
- 3.1 Colleges
- 4 See also
- 5 External links
- 6 References
- Of Seoul, for Seoul
UOS is a public university funded and supported by the Seoul Metropolitan Government. Seoul is the economic, political, and cultural center of Korea for about 600 years. Academic programs of UOS have been set to support necessities of the Seoul Metropolitan Government. Hence, UOS functions as a think-tank in formulating and supporting the major policy goals of the Seoul Metropolitan Governmant, along with basic research and education. UOS has a goal of becoming an international center for the urban sciences. UOS has a specialized college, College of Urban Science.
- Faculty and Students
Because the Seoul Metropolitan Government supported 70% of an annual budget, UOS is one of the best value public universities. UOS has the lowest student-faculty ratio, the highest financial investment per student, and the highest rate of scholarship recipients in South Korea. In addition, most administrative staff in UOS are affiliated in the Seoul Metropolitan Government.
- Community Outreach
UOS has long been providing services for Seoul and Seoul citizens. In particular, UOS provides a diverse range of training programs for the municipal officials, national government officials, and experts in the public sector. From 1997, UOS provides Seoul citizens with lifelong education in UOS Open University located in the central Seoul, Kwanghwa-mun. UOS Open University provides a broad range of education programs including languages, technologies, Seoul Study, and various cultural activities. UOS has vocational and educational programs for more than 5,000 Seoulites annually in Continuing Education Center. The Social Welfare Center located in the main campus provides a wide range of social services for more than 100,000 senior citizens and disabled citizens a year.
- 1918 Founded as Kyung Sung Public Agricultural College
- 1956 Promoted to four-year college and renamed Seoul Agricultural College
- 1975 Oversight committee transferred from the Seoul Board of Education to Seoul Metropolitan Government
- 1981 Renamed Seoul City University
- 1987 Promoted to comprehensive university (4 colleges and 22 departments)
- 1993 Founded the Institute of Seoul Studies under the auspices of the Seoul Metropolitan Government
- 1996 Founded the College of Urban Sciences
- 1997 Renamed the University of Seoul
- 1997 Established the university's unique identity as a Mecca for the Urban Sciences Designated as the Distinguished University in the Urban Sciences by the Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development
- 1998 Founded the Institute of Urban Sciences
- 2003 Launched Strategic Plan 2003–2007, "Upgrade University of Seoul"
- 2003, 2004 Redesignated as the Distinguished University centered on the Urban Sciences by the Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development
- 2005 Founded the Institute for International Cooperation and Education
- 2008 90th Anniversary of UOS
- 2009 Founded UOS Law School
The Graduate School has 35 courses for master degrees and 25 courses for doctoral degrees. In addition, there's specialized graduate schools as follows.
- Graduate School of Science in Taxation
- Graduate School of Design
- Graduate School of Urban Science
- Graduate School of International Urban Science
- Graduate School of Business Administration
- Graduate School of Engineering
- Graduate School of Education
- Law School
- 2012 아시아 대학평가 의대없는 대학 醫大없는 대학, 서강대·한국외대·서울시립대 등 강세
- 성균관대·서울시립대·이대…아시아 대학 순위 '껑충'
- 아시아 100대 대학, 서울대 4위...14개 한국 대학 입성!
- 2014 아시아 대학평가 醫大 없는 '强小大' 포스텍·서강대·한국외대 강세
- 2010 대학지속가능지수 학업·소통·성장·교류’ 대학생활 만족도 평균 48.6점 그쳐
- 2010 대학지속가능지수 서울대생은 외로워]
- '반값등록금' 서울시립대, 2013년도 등록금 동결
- 서울시립대 수리논술 응시자 평균 31점 “논술 경쟁률 100대 1 … 어려워야 변별력"
- 대학등록률 서울은 상승, 지방은 저조
- 서울시립대 반값 등록금 시행 1년… 학생 사회봉사 갑절로 늘었다