New York University Shanghai

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
New York University Shanghai
(NYU Shanghai)
上海纽约大学
Shànghǎi niǔyuē dàxué
NYU Shanghai Logo.jpg
Type Private
Established 2013
Chancellor Yu Lizhong
Students 900
Undergraduates 900
Location Shanghai, China
Affiliations NYU
ECNU
Website shanghai.nyu.edu
NYU Shanghai

New York University Shanghai (NYU Shanghai) exemplifies the highest ideas of higher education and unites the international resources of New York University's global network with the multidimensional richness of China. The university guides students towards academic and moral excellence, preparing them for leadership in all walks of life, and contribute to the endless quest for new insights into the world.

Administration[edit]

NYU Shanghai - Academic Building

NYU Shanghai is jointly established by New York University and East China Normal University of Shanghai. It is the first American college to receive independent registration status from China's Ministry of Education.[1] Yu Lizhong, former president of the East China Normal University (ECNU), was named Chancellor of NYU Shanghai. Jeffrey S. Lehman, former president of Cornell University and dean of the University of Michigan Law School, was named Vice Chancellor.[2]

Inaugural class[edit]

The inaugural class of 2017 moved in on August 11, 2013, and classes began in September 2013.[3] Of the class of 294 students, 51% came from The People's Republic of China, with the remaining 49% coming from other countries around the world.[4] During the 2013–2014 academic year, NYU Shanghai students studied at East China Normal University while the official NYU campus in Pudong was built.[5] The Pudong campus was completed in the summer of 2014. Students moved into the new building at the start of the fall 2014 semester. Currently, the NYU Shanghai campus in Pudong serves NYU Shanghai students, study away students from New York, Abu Dhabi, and non-NYU affiliated colleges across the globe, as well as a select number of NYU law students.

Research Centers[edit]

  • NYU-ECNU Center for Computational Chemistry at NYU Shanghai[6]
  • NYU-ECNU Institute of Brain and Cognitive Science at NYU Shanghai
  • NYU-ECNU Institute for Social Development at NYU Shanghai
  • NYU-ECNU Institute of Mathematical Sciences at NYU Shanghai
  • NYU-ECNU Institute of Physics at NYU Shanghai
  • Volatility Institute at NYU Shanghai
  • Center for Global Asia at NYU Shanghai
  • Center for Data Science and Analytics

Campus[edit]

NYU Shanghai - Flags

Since late summer of 2014, NYU Shanghai has been based in Pudong, Shanghai, at 1555 Century Ave. The main campus is contained in a single building, the Academic Center, a new 15-story building with two underground floors.[7] The dorms are in Shanghai's Jinqiao neighborhood, north of the campus and also in Pudong. Students travel between the Academic Center and the dorms via the subway or on NYU shuttle buses.[8] There is also the academic library that offers virtual and in-person reference services. The collection relies heavily on e-content.

Distinguished faculty[edit]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

External links[edit]

Coordinates: 31°13′31″N 121°32′04″E / 31.2254°N 121.5344°E / 31.2254; 121.5344