For my own personal interest, I maintain on my home computer a list of all the species of life that I observe living specimens of on the property where I live, either in the house, in the front or back yard, or potentially in my "airspace" above. I've decided to move the list on-wiki, because it can be useful for collaboration. In particular, I'd like to upload photos of as many of these as possible - as needed.
- 1 Plant 
- 1.1 Pteridophyta (Ferns & horsetails) 
- 1.2 Magnoliophyta (Flowering plants) 
- 1.2.1 Magnoliids 
- 1.2.2 Monocots 
- 1.2.3 Eudicots 
- 188.8.131.52 Ranunculales 
- 184.108.40.206 Caryophyllales 
- 220.127.116.11 Saxifragales 
- 18.104.22.168 Santalales 
- 22.214.171.124 Ericales 
- 126.96.36.199 Solanales 
- 188.8.131.52 Gentianales 
- 184.108.40.206 Lamiales 
- 220.127.116.11 Apiales 
- 18.104.22.168 Asterales 
- 22.214.171.124 Geraniales 
- 126.96.36.199 Malpighiales 
- 188.8.131.52 Oxalidales 
- 184.108.40.206 Fabales 
- 220.127.116.11 Rosales 
- 18.104.22.168 Cucurbitales 
- 22.214.171.124 Fagales 
- 126.96.36.199 Brassicales 
- 188.8.131.52 Malvales 
- 2 Fungus 
- 3 Animal 
- 3.1 Mollusca (Molluscs) 
- 3.2 Annelida (Segmented worms) 
- 3.3 Arthropoda 
- 3.3.1 Insecta 
- 3.3.2 Malacostraca 
- 3.4 Chordata 
- 3.4.1 Actinopterygii 
- 3.4.2 Aves 
- 3.4.3 Reptilia 
- 3.4.4 Mammalia 
Pteridophyta (Ferns & horsetails) 
Pteridopsida (Modern ferns) 
- Nephrolepis exaltata - Boston fern - A houseplant I bought and hung in the living room
Magnoliophyta (Flowering plants) 
Lauraceae (Laurel family)
- Persea americana - Avocado - Sprouted from the compost pile, embarrassing the one I'd been trying for months to sprout on my windowsill.
- Phalaenopsis sp. - Orchid - Bought at store.
Iridaceae (Iris family)
- Iris sp. - Iris - Planted by Aunt in front flower bed.
Asphodelaceae (Asphodel family)
- Aloe vera - Aloe - Gift from Mom, potted in living room, eventually destroyed by the F. catus.
- Haworthia sp. - Bought this at the store, and I have no idea what happened to it. Maybe it's still in the house!
Alliaceae (Onion family)
- Allium ampeloprasum - Elephant garlic - Growing in the garden, from a store-bought clove.
- Allium cepa - Onion - Growing in the garden, some from seeds, some from an onion.
- Allium sativum - Garlic - Growing in the garden, from a clove off a store-bought head.
- Allium schoenoprasum - Chives - Growing in herb garden.
Amaryllidaceae (Amaryllis family)
- Habranthus tubispathus - Rio Grande copper lily - Pops up in the front yard after rain in June and July.
- Lycoris radiata - Red spider lily - Grew in front flower bed in late summer.
- Narcissus sp. - Daffodil - Sprouted in flower bed, probably left by previous tennant.
Hyacinthaceae (Hyacinth family)
- Muscari botryoides - Common grape hyacinth - Grew wild in the front yard, spring.
Ruscaceae (Ruscus family)
- Dracaena fragrans - Corn plant - Potted specimen brought from sister's house. It died.
- Dracaena sanderiana - Lucky "bamboo" - Store-bought, planted in dirt, lives in breakfast room.
- Liriope sp. - Liriope - Planted by Mom and Aunt in front flower bed.
- Sansevieria trifasciata - Mother-in-law's tongue - Gift from sister, lives in project room.
Liliaceae (Lilly family)
- Tulipa sp. - Tulip - Growing in front flower bed. Must have been planted by previous residents.
Smilacaceae (Sarsaparilla family)
- Smilax sp. (S. bona-nox?) - Grenbrier - Grows in backyard as pernicious weed. Variegated variety.
Commelinaceae (Spiderwort family)
- Commelina communis - Asiatic dayflower - Found growing in front yard it May, as the summer heat started to kick in.
- Tradescantia pallida - Wandering jew - Planted in front of the house by Mom and Aunt.
- Tradescantia spathacea - Moses-in-the-cradle - Gift from Kiersty at work. Lives on front windowsill in living room.
Poaceae (Grass family)
- Cenchrus sp. - Sandbur - Grows as a pernicious weed in the back yard once it gets hot.
- Zea mays - Maize - Planted in garden from store-bought seeds. My people call it "corn".
- Cynodon dactylon - Bermuda grass - Grows in front and back yards.
- Festuca arundinacea - Tall fescue grass - Grows in front and back yards.
Cannaceae (Canna family)
- Canna sp. - Canna - Planted in front and side of house by Mom and Aunt.
Zingiberaceae (Ginger family)
- Zingiber officinale - Ginger - Sprouted on its own from a ginger root sitting in the kitchen.
Berberidaceae (Barberry family)
- Nandina domestica - Nandina - Bought at nursery, and taken away by Mom. It's all over town, though.
Amaranthaceae (Amaranth family)
- Spinacia oleracea - Spinach - Planted in garden from store-bought seeds in February, taken out in April
Cactaceae (Cactus family)
- Gymnocalycium mihanovichii - Red cactus - Received as gift, grafted to Hylocereus below. Graft died.
- Hylocereus sp. - Green cactus, used as a base for grafted Red cactus - After the red one died, it seems fine. Lives on windowsill.
Caryophyllaceae (Carnation family)
- Stellaria media - Common chickweed - Grew wild in front yard as an early spring weed. I think there's still some out there.
Crassulaceae (Orpine family)
- Crassula ovata - Jade plant - Gift from sister for housewarming. Lives on front windowsill in living room.
- Kalanchoe tomentosa - Panda plant - Gift from sister for housewarming. Lives in project room.
- Sedum burrito - Baby Burro's Tail - Gift from sister for housewarming. Died.
Santalaceae (Sandalwood family)
- Phoradendron sp. - Mistletoe - Falls from tree branches and lands in back yard frequently.
Primulaceae (Primrose family)
- Primula vulgaris - Primrose - Bought in store. It died.
Solanaceae (Nightshade family)
- Petunia axillaris - White petunia - Growing wild by the trashcan.
- Capsicum annuum - Jalapeño pepper - Growing in garden from store-bought seeds.
- Capsicum chinense - Habanero pepper - Growing in garden from store-bought seeds.
- Solanum lycopersicum - Tomatoes "sweetie" var. - Growing in garden from store-bought seeds.
- Solanum tuberosum - Potato - Russet potatoes sprouted on counter, planted in back yard.
Apocynaceae (Dogbane family)
- Cynanchum laeve - Honeyvine milkweed - grows as a weed, climbing on other weeds. Present in May.
- Nerium oleander - Oleander - Planted in front of house by Mom and Aunt.
- Vinca major - Greater periwinkle - Growing in front of house.
Rubiaceae (Madder, Bedstraw and Coffee family)
- Galium aparine - Stickywilly - Grew wild everywhere as an early spring weed. Mostly gone by May.
Oleaceae (Olive family)
- Ligustrum ovalifolium - Japanese privet - Two of these are growing in the back yard. Seems to handle the summer drought better than most species.
Acanthaceae (Acanthus family)
- Ruellia angustifolia - Wild petunia - Planted in front by Mom and Aunt. Hasn't bloomed; photo is from Mom's house.
Bignoniaceae (Trumpet creeper family)
- Campsis radicans - Common trumpet creeper - Grows wild in the back yard as a pernicious weed. Wants to pull the fence down.
Lamiaceae (Mint family)
- Lamium amplexicaule - Henbit deadnettle - Grew wild as a(n edible) weed in early spring. Mostly gone by April.
- Lavandula sp. - Lavender - Sprouted from store-bought seeds.
Not doing too well.Didn't work out.
- Mentha sp. - Mint - Planted by Mom and Aunt alongside house.
- Origanum vulgare - Oregano - Sprouted from store-bought seeds, then planted in herb garden. Now I can't find it out there. Presumed dead.
- Salvia officinalis - Common sage - Growing (barely) in herb garden from store-bought seeds.
- Rosmarinus officinalis - Rosemary - Sprouted from store-bought seeds.
Not doing too well.Didn't work out.
- Thymus vulgaris - Common thyme - Growing in herb garden from store-bought seeds.
Plantaginaceae (Plantain family)
- Veronica sp. - Speedwell - Grew wild as a weed in early-mid spring. Pretty flower.
- Ocimum basilicum - Basil - Growing in herb garden from store-bought seeds.
Scrophulariaceae (Figwort family)
- Buddleja davidii - Butterfly bush - Bought at nursery and planted in back yard.
- Leucophyllum frutescens - Texas sage - Bought at store and planted in front of house.
Apiaceae (Carrot family)
- Conopodium majus - Hog-nut - Grew all over the back yard in May.
Asteraceae (Aster family)
- Lactuca serriola - Prickly lettuce - Growing wild as a weed in back yard
- Taraxacum officinale - Common dandelion - Grows wild as a weed... everywhere.
- Carthamus tinctorius - Safflower - Sprouted from seeds fallen from bird feeder.
- Ambrosia trifida - Ragweed - Growing as a weed in the back yard.
- Bellis perennis - Common daisy - Grew wild on north side of house.
- Conyza canadensis - Horseweed - Growing wild all around, starting mid-spring.
- Bidens bipinnata - Spanish needles - Came up all over as a weed in summer.
- Helianthus annuus - Sunflower - Sprouted from seeds fallen from bird feeder.
- Rudbeckia hirta - Black-eyed Susan - Growing wild in back yard from early summer.
Geraniaceae (Geranium and cranesbill family)
- Geranium robertianum - Robert geranium - Grew wild as weed in front yard in spring.
Violaceae (Violet family)
- Viola tricolor - Pansy - Bought at nursery, then Mom took 'em home.
Oxalidaceae (Oxalis family)
- Oxalis sp. - Yellow wood-sorrel - Growing wild in back yard, from mid-spring
Fabaceae (Legume family)
- Arachis hypogaea - Peanut - Growing in herb garden after a Sciurus niger buried it there.
- Medicago arabica - Spotted medick, heart clover - Grew wild as weed in patches of front and back yards in the spring.
Rosaceae (Rose family)
- Rhaphiolepis indica - Indian Hawthorne - Growing in back yard, bought from nursery
- Rosa sp. - Rose - Growing in front flower bed.
Cannabaceae (Cannabis family)
- Celtis laevigata - Sugarberry or Southern Hackberry tree - Growing in back yard.
Moraceae (Mulberry and fig family)
- Ficus elastica - Rubber plant, Rubber fig - George the rubber plant, my constant companion since '04, in breakfast room.
Cucurbitaceae (Melon family)
- Citrullus lanatus - Watermelon - Growing in back yard from store bought seeds, ftw.
Fagaceae (Beech family)
- Quercus sp. - Oak. A couple of volunteer trees, growing in front and back yards.
Brassicaceae (Crucifers/Mustard and cabbage family)
- Lepidium virginicum - Virginia pepperweed - Grew wild as weed in front yard in spring.
- Raphanus sativus - Radish - Growing in garden from store-bought seeds
Malvaceae (Mallow family)
- Abelmoschus esculentus - Okra - Growing in garden from store-bought seeds.
- Hibiscus sp. - Hibiscus - Growing wild in front of house, near south property line.
Ascomycota (Sac fungi) 
- Penicillium roqueforti - Roquefort cheese fungus - Living in Danish Blue cheese from store.
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae - Brewer's yeast - Bought at store as "activated dry yeast" for baking.
Veneridae (Venus clam family)
- Mercenaria mercenaria - Hard clam - Brought home live from the market, then steamed and eaten.
? - Earthworm - In back yard, any time I turn over some dirt w/ a shovel.
- Libellula croceipennis - Neon skimmer - Photographed perching on van sometime last year.
- Forficula auricularia - European earwig - I don't even remember. They're everywhere. One was inside a pecan I wanted to eat.
? - Crickets in yard
- Periplaneta americana - American cockroach - Only seen one (1) in house. More under junk in the yard. Indoors, I kill these on sight.
Cicadidae (Cicada family)
- Tibicen sp. - Dog-day cicada - Found its molted skin clinging to the side of the house, late June, and pretty much everywhere by mid-July. They're also what you hear outside.
Cydnidae (Burrowing bug family)
- Pangaeus bilieatus - Peanut burrowing bug - Found on my arm after mowing the front lawn in late May.
Pentatomidae (Stink bug family)
- ? - Stink bug found in house.
Nabidae (Damsel bug family)
Reduviidae (Assassin bug family)
- Zelus renardii (Leafhopper assassin bug) - Found in kitchen, photographed, then released outside, February 2010.
Carabidae (Ground beetle family)
- ? - Ground beetle found under a brick
Chrysomelidae (Leaf beetle family)
- Diabrotica undecimpunctata - Spotted cucumber beetle - found on tomato plant
- Labidomera clivicollis - Swamp milkweed leaf beetle - Found on the leaf of a Conyza canadensis in the back yard.
Coccinellidae (Ladybug family)
- Axion plagiatum - Helmet beetle - Seen in back yard in early November.
- Coccinella septempunctata - Seven-spotted ladybug - Spotted (ha!) in back yard.
- Harmonia axyridis - Asian ladybug - seen in back yard on unidentified plant.
Tenebrionidae (Darkling beetle family)
- Tenebrio molitor - Mealworm - Store-bought larvae that I feed to birds.
Scarabaeidae (Scarab beetle family)
- Phyllophaga sp. - June bug - Seen hanging on window screen in - you guessed it - June.
Apidae (Honey bee family)
- Apis mellifera - European honey bee - Seen buzzing 'round flowers in the back. We like this species.
Formicidae (Ant family)
- Solenopsis invicta - Red Imported Fire Ant - Accidentally discovered w/ my foot in back yard. This species, I kill on sight.
Vespidae (Wasp family)
Evaniidae (Ensign wasp family)
- Evania appendigaster - Cockroach egg parasitoid wasp - found on kitchen counter in June. Controls cockroaches, so we like this one.
Chrysopidae - (Green lacewing family)
- ? - Green lacewing seen hanging out on the ceiling at night.
Culicidae (Mosquito family)
- Aedes albopictus - Asian tiger mosquito - This one is killed on sight. Damned invasive day-feeding pests.
Sciaridae (Dark-winged fungus gnat family)
- ? - Gnats seen hanging 'round sprouts on windowsill in project room.
Tipulidae (Crane fly family)
- Tipula(?) sp. - Crane fly - Seen in house.
Muscidae (Housefly family)
- Musca domestica - Housefly - Ubiquitous.
Syrphidae (Hoverfly family)
- ? - Hoverfly seen hanging out on ivy by front door.
Pulicidae (Common flea family)
- ? - Flea - Followed me in from the yard. Now eradicated inside the house, I hope. Not too fussed about which species it was.
Geometridae (Geometrid moth family)
- Anacamptodes defectaria - Brown-shaded gray moth - Seen hanging out on door jamb towards evening, mid-July.
Lycaenidae (Gossamer-winged butterfly family)
- Strymon melinus - Gray Hairstreak - Seen in front of house, near the hibiscus.
- Calycopis cecrops - Red-banded Hairstreak - Seen hanging out near garden, early April.
Nymphalidae (Brush-footed butterfly family)
- Danaus plexippus - Monarch butterfly - Seen outside flitting about the Lactuca serriola. Lovely.
- Asterocampa celtis - Hackberry Emperor - Seen resting on the fence outside my window. Let me take close-ups. Thanks, A. celtis.
- Vanessa atalanta - Red Admiral - Spotted at the end of April, flitting about the back of the driveway.
Pieridae (Yellow and white family)
- Pieris rapae - Small cabbage white - seen flitting about backyard.
- Armadillidium vulgare(?) - Common pillbug - Under something in the back yard.
- ? - Other, non-ball-rolling woodlouse - Under something in the back yard.
- Betta splendens - Siamese fighting fish - Purchased at pet store, named "Malcolm". He eventually died.
Columbidae (Dove family)
- Zenaida macroura - Mourning dove - Feeds on ground and at feeder in back yard.
- Cathartes aura - Turkey vulture - Circling overhead...
Picidae (Woodpecker family)
- Melanerpes carolinus - Red-bellied woodpecker - Feeds at back yard feeder.
- Picoides pubescens - Downy woodpecker - Visits feeders.
Corvidae (Crow family)
- Cyanocitta cristata - Blue jay - Visits feeders.
Regulidae (Kinglet family)
- Regulus calendula - Ruby-crowned kinglet - Visits feeder.
Paridae (Titmouse family)
- Baeolophus bicolor - Tufted titmouse - Visits feeders.
- Poecile carolinensis - Carolina chickadee - Visits feeder.
Troglodytidae (Wren family)
- Thryothorus ludovicianus - Carolina wren - Visits feeders. Sings...
Mimidae (Mockingbird family)
- Mimus polyglottos - Northern mockingbird - Seen in back yard. Doesn't visit feeders.
- Toxostoma rufum - Brown thrasher - Seen perched on back yard fence. Seems shy.
Sturnidae (Starling family)
- Sturnus vulgaris - European starling - Feeds on ground and at feeders.
Turdidae (Thrush family)
- Turdus migratorius - American robin - Seen in front and back yard, patrolling for invertebrates. Good work, Turdus.
Passeridae (Sparrow family)
- Passer domesticus - House sparrow - Ubiquitous. Feeds on ground and at feeder.
Cardinalidae (Cardinal family)
- Cardinalis cardinalis - Northern cardinal - Feeds on ground and at feeder.
Emberizidae (Bunting family)
- Junco hyemalis - Dark-eyed junco - Feeds on ground; infrequent.
Fringillidae (Finch family)
- Carduelis tristis - American goldfinch - Visited feeder in early spring, then migrated.
- Carpodacus mexicanus - House finch - feeds on ground and at feeder.
Icteridae (American blackbird family)
- Molothrus ater - Brown-headed cowbird - feeds on ground and at feeder; infrequent.
- Quiscalus mexicanus - Great-tailed grackle - Feeds on ground and at feeder.
Colubridae (Common snake family)
- Thamnophis sp. - Garter snake - Found in back yard while cleaning out the weird corner.
Gekkonidae (Gecko family)
- Hemidactylus turcicus (Mediterranean house gecko - Seen on outside of house, evenings.
Didelphidae (Common opossum family)
- Didelphis virginiana - Virginia opossum - Spotted by reasonably reliable friends in back yard at night.
Canidae (Dog family)
- Canis lupus familiaris - domestic dog - Comes around sometimes.
Mustelidae (Mustelid family)
- Mustela putorius furo - domestic ferret - found in the front yard, now lives inside as house pet.
Procyonidae (Raccoon family)
- Procyon lotor - common raccoon - Visits the back yard at night, sometimes comes up to the window.
Felidae (Cat family)
- Felis catus - domestic cat - These patrol the property, but never quite manage to catch an avian... so far!
- Rattus norvegicus - Brown rat - Saw one in kitchen once, bleh. Spreading dryer sheets around the attic seems to have worked, for now.
Sciuridae (Squirrel family)
- Sciurus niger - Fox squirrel - Ubiquitous, feeds on anything he can get his greedy little paws into.
Hominidae (Hominid family)
- Homo sapiens - Human - Spotted in mirror, and occasionally just hanging around.