V. R. Gowrishankar
V. R. Gowrishankar
|Born||30 November 1954|
|Known for||Sringeri Sharada Peetham|
|Children||Two children(Chinmayee sharada and Abhinava Chandra)|
Padma Shri V. R. Gowrishankar is an Indian religious administrator, social worker and the chief executive officer and administrator of Sringeri Sharada Peetham. He is credited with expanding the activities of the Sringeri Math into education and social service. His efforts are reported behind the establishment of the Sringeri Sharada Peetham Temple and community center in Houston, Texas, in 2013. The Government of India awarded him the fourth highest civilian honour of the Padma Shri, in 2008, for his contributions to society.
Gowrishankar was born in the south Indian state of Karnataka on 30 November 1954 in a family closely associated with Sringeri Sharada Peetham where his father and grandfather had earlier served as scholars. He graduated in engineering from B.M.S. College of Engineering, Bengaluru and followed it up with a post graduate degree (DIISc) in industrial management from the Indian Institute of Science. In 1986, he took charge as the chief executive officer and administrator of the Peetham, holding the general power of attorney of the properties and the administrative authority over more than 150 branches and other subsidiary organizations of the Peetham.
Under Gowrishankar's leadership, it is reported that the Math expanded its activities which now include a scheme for providing free meal to children, Swasti Grama Yojana and adoption of villages, Healthcare schemes and providing free educational wares such as computer kits to students. During his tenure as the CEO, Math constructed a new residence for the pontiff, a new dining hall with a capacity to host 3000 people at a time (considered to be the largest of its kind in Asia) and a new headquarters for the Veda Samskrita Pathashala (School of Vedas). His contributions are also reported in the establishment of a temple in Houston and two other temples in Detroit and California. He then has also participated in the social movements and his leadership of the public movement against the demolition of heritage properties by the Nashik Municipal Corporation for widening road was one such activism.
Besides heading the administration, he is also a part of the management of many Math organizations. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Sringeri Vidya Bharati Foundation in Canada, chief executive officer of the Sringeri Sharada Peetham Charitable Trust, CEO of the Board of Governors of Rangadore Memorial Hospital, a charitable hospital under the trust, and a member of the Board of Governors of the Adi Shankara Institute of Engineering Technology. He has had the honour to address the General Assembly of the United Nations. The Government of Karnataka awarded him their second highest civilian award of Rajyotsava Prashasthi in 2003 and he received the fourth highest Indian civilian honour of the Padma Shri in 2008.
Gowrishankar is married to Geetha and the couple has two children.
- "Sringeri Math opposes road widening - Times". Times of India. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Math Administrator, the Adroit, Adept Dr. V. R. Gowrishankar". Hinduism Today. 33 (4): 36. October 2011 [Oct–Dec 2011].
- "V. R. Gowrishankar on Zoom Info". Zoom Info. 2016. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Bricks laid for Sringeri Sharada Peetham Temple in Houston". India Herald. 28 August 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2016. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- "Strides Newsletter - August 2014 - V-Excel". V-Excel. August 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "V.R. Gowrishankar - Profile" (PDF). Sringeri Math. 2016. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "CEO and Administrator". Sringeri Math. 2016. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Sringeri Math opposes road widening". Times of India. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Sringeri Vidya Bharati Foundation (Canada)". Sringeri Vidya Bharati Foundation (Canada). 2016. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Management Team". Rangadore Memorial Hospital. 2016. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "The Management and Board Members". Adi Shankara Institute of Engineering Technology. 2016. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Padmasree Sri V. R. Gowrishankar on ASIET". ASIET. 2016. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Literature-and-Culture" (PDF). Namma KPSC. 2016. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Campaign Chronicle: Siddaganga Mutt and Sringeri Shankar Mutt". Personal Blog of Nandan Nilekani. Nandan Nilekani. 27 March 2014. Retrieved 20 January 2016.