Prof. Shantha Sinha in her office
January 7, 1950 |
|Organization||Chairperson, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights, India.|
Prof. Shantha Sinha is an anti-child labour activist of international reputation. She is the founder of Mamidipudi Venkatarangaiya Foundation, popularly known as MV Foundation (which is named in memory of her grandfather Mamidipudi Venkatarangaiah), and is a Professor in the Department of Political science in Hyderabad Central University. She headed the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights for two consecutive terms (3 years each); The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) was set up in March 2007 under the Commission for Protection of Child Rights Act, 2005, an Act of Parliament (December 2005). Professor Sinha was its first chairperson.
Early life and background
She went on to complete her M.A in Political Science from Osmania University in 1970. She obtained her Ph.D from JNU in 1976.
Shanta Sinha is an academician with Hyderabad Central University. She gained the internationally renowned 2003 Ramon Magsaysay award for community leadership. She has also been awarded the Padma Shri (1999), and the Albert Shanker International Award (1999) from Education International. She has also been awarded with Hyderabad Women of the Decade Achievers Award for Social Service by ASSOCHAM Ladies League. A rights activist, her contribution to a phenomenal reduction in child labour in nearly 500 villages of Ranga Reddy district in Andhra Pradesh is perhaps unparalleled. Recognizing her work, the Government of India appointed her as the first chairperson of the newly formed NCPCR.
- Syeda Farida (June 12, 2006). "St Ann's — Shining on". The Hindu.
-  Thirty-sixth Foundation Day Lecture delivered by Dr Shantha Sinha-Source-IIM Bangalore
-  Shantha Sinha wins Magsaysay Award for anti-child labour activities-Source-Rediff News
-  Padma Shri Awardees-Source-india.gov.in
- Video on YouTube
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shantha Sinha.|
- Tough action sought against child labour on farms, The Hindu, October 10, 2006
- Interview, Striving for better lives , The Hindu, August 5, 2003
- Interview, "Education, an antidote to child labour", OneWorld South Asia, June 19, 2010
- MV Foundation
|This Indian academic-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|