Prof. Shantha Sinha in her office
7 January 1950 |
|Organization||Chairperson, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights, India.|
Prof. Shantha Sinha is an anti-child labour activist of international reputation. She is the founder of Mamidipudi Venkatarangaiya Foundation, popularly known as MV Foundation (which is named in memory of her grandfather Mamidipudi Venkatarangaiah), and is a Professor in the Department of Political science in Hyderabad Central University. She headed the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights for two consecutive terms (3 years each); The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) was set up in March 2007 under the Commission for Protection of Child Rights Act, 2005, an Act of Parliament (December 2005). Professor Sinha was its first chairperson. She was awarded the civilian honour of Padma Shri by the Government of India in 1998.
Early life and background
She went on to complete her M.A in Political Science from Osmania University in 1970. She obtained her Ph.D from JNU in 1976.
Shanta Sinha is an academician with Hyderabad Central University. She gained the internationally renowned 2003 Ramon Magsaysay award for community leadership. She has also been awarded the Padma Shri (1999), and the Albert Shanker International Award (1999) from Education International. She has also been awarded with Hyderabad Women of the Decade Achievers Award for Social Service by ASSOCHAM Ladies League. A rights activist, her contribution to a phenomenal reduction in child labour in nearly 500 villages of Ranga Reddy district in Telangana is perhaps unparalleled. Recognizing her work, the Government of India appointed her as the first chairperson of the newly formed NCPCR.
Shanta Sinha, Chairperson of the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) advocated amendment of the Child Labour Act and also requested for including adolescent labourers under its purview in presence of Dr. Yogesh Dube, Member of NCPCR and Neela Gangadharan, Secretary, Ministry of Women and Child Welfare, in a function organised by ILO, NCPCR and United Nations Children's Fund on the occasion of Anti-Child Labour Day.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2014. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- Syeda Farida (12 June 2006). "St Ann's — Shining on". The Hindu.
-  Thirty-sixth Foundation Day Lecture delivered by Dr Shantha Sinha-Source-IIM Bangalore
-  Shantha Sinha wins Magsaysay Award for anti-child labour activities-Source-Rediff News
-  Padma Shri Awardees-Source-india.gov.in
- Video on YouTube
- "NCPCR for change in Child Labour Act, seeks cover for teens".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shantha Sinha.|
- Tough action sought against child labour on farms, The Hindu, 10 October 2006
- Interview, Striving for better lives , The Hindu, 5 August 2003
- Interview, "Education, an antidote to child labour", OneWorld South Asia, 19 June 2010
- MV Foundation
|This Indian academic-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|