Prakash Amte with a rescued owl at his animal shelter.
|Born||26 December 1948|
|Education||MBBS MS General Surgery|
|Alma mater||Government Medical College (Nagpur)|
|Years active||1973 - present|
|Known for||Lok Biradari Prakalp|
|Parent(s)||Baba Amte (Father)|
|Awards||Padma Shri (2002)|
Ramon Magsaysay Award (2008)
Prakash Baba Amte is a social worker from Maharashtra, India. Amte and his wife, Mandakini Amte, were awarded the Magsaysay Award for 'Community Leadership' in 2008 for their philanthropic work in the form of the Lok Biradari Prakalp amongst the Madia Gonds in the Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra and the neighbouring states of Telangana and Madhya Pradesh.
Amte is the son of Magsaysay awardee Baba Amte. He obtained a medical degree from Government Medical College (GMC), Nagpur.
Lok Biradari Prakalp
In 1973, Amte moved to Hemalkasa to start the Lok Biradari Prakalp, a project for the development of tribal people, most of whom were the Madia Gond in the forests of Gadchiroli district. He lived and worked there for almost twenty years performing emergency surgical procedures without electricity. The project transformed into a hospital, Lok Biradari Prakalp Davakhana, a residential school, Lok Biradari Prakalp Ashram Shala, and an orphanage for injured wild animals, the Amte's Animal Park. The project provides health care to about 40000 individuals annually. The Lok Biradari Prakalp Ashram School has over 600 students, residents and day scholars.
Amte has published two autobiographies, Prakashvata (Pathways to Light), originally written in Marathi and now translated into English, Gujarati and Kannada, and Raanmitra (Jungle Friends).
Amte has received many national and international awards, which include:
- 2014 - Mother Teresa Awards for Social Justice.
- 2012 - Lokmanya Tilak Award - Jointly with his brother Vikas Amte
- 2009 - Godfrey Philips Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2008 - Ramon Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership - jointly with his wife Mandakini Amte
- Citation: "In electing Prakash Amte and Mandakini Amte to receive the 2008 Ramon Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership, the board of trustees recognizes their enhancing the capacity of the Madia Gonds to adapt positively in today's India, through healing and teaching and other compassionate interventions."
- 2002 - Padma Shri, Government of India
- 1995 - The [[Principality of Monaco] issued a postal stamp to honour Prakash and Mandakini Amte.
- 1984 - Adivasi Sevak Award, from Government of Maharashtra, India
In popular culture
The biographical film Dr Prakash Baba Amte : The Real Hero starring Nana Patekar as Prakash Amte and Sonali Kulkarni as Mandakini Amte was released on 10 October 2014. The film has been released in three languages, Hindi, Marathi and English.
- Citation from the website of Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation
- Deshmukh, A (2002) Letter from Nagpur, Indian Journal of Medical Ethics10(2)Available online
- "Amte's Animal Ark".
- Website of the Maharogi Sewa Samiti
- "List of Awards".
- "Mother Teresa Memorial International Award for Social Justice held on Sunday". dna. Diligent Media Corporation Ltd. 11 November 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Lokmanya Tilak Award".
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Magsaysay for another generation of Amtes". www.dnaindia.com. Diligent Media Corporation Ltd. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "Dr. Prakash and Dr. Mrs. Mandakini Amte - International Awards - Hamdan Award for Volunteers in Humanitarian Medical Services - 2009-2010". Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Medical Sciences. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prakash Amte.|