Viluppuram Junction railway station
|Indian Railway Station|
East Pondy Road, Keelperumpakkam, Viluppuram, Viluppuram district, Tamil Nadu|
|Elevation||44 metres (144 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Southern Railway zone|
Chennai Egmore - Thanjavur Main Line |
Viluppuram - Trichy Chord Line
Viluppuram - Pondicherry Branch Line
Viluppuram - Katpadi Branch Line
Chennai Beach - Viluppuram South Line
|Connections||Auto rickshaw, Taxi, Bus|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Electrified||25 kV AC 50 Hz|
Viluppuram Junction is a junction railway station located in Viluppuram, Tamil Nadu. Being a prominent railway station, it serves as the distribution point of rail traffic from Chennai, the state capital of Tamil Nadu, towards the southern parts of the state. It is the second largest junction by number of branch lines in the state of Tamil Nadu after Salem junction. It is one of the top 5 junctions of Southern Railways which has earned the status of an A Grade train station in Tamil Nadu.
Location and layout
Viluppuram Railway Station covers about 20 acres of a vast area, six platforms - Platforms 1 to 3 occupy a length of 600 metres and platforms 4 to 6 occupy a length of 550 metres each and few goods/freight train lines which occupies 650 metres each and there are few shunting lines. The Railway lines can be easily crossed with the help of two mass structured over bridges. The railway station is located off the East Pondy Road in the Keelperumpakkam neighborhood. The station is located in close proximity of 3 km from the arterial GST Road. Several landmark places such as the Aringar Anna Science and arts College, the Government Hospital Building, and the TNEB Block are located at close proximity from the station.
The Viluppuram Old Bus Stand (Town bus stand) is situated at 2 km and New bus stand (Central bus stand) is situated at 4 km from the Viluppuram Junction railway station. The nearest airport is the Puducherry Airport located at a distance of over 40 km and Chennai Airport is 143 km away from Viluppuram.
Five railway lines branch out of the Viluppuram Junction railway station.
- Double Electrified BG (Broad Gauge) line towards Chennai Beach via Chengulpattu Junction.
- Double Electrified BG (Broad Gauge) line towards Tiruchirapalli Junction via Vridhachalam Junction and Ariyalur. Electrification work was completed in 2009. Also called "Chord Line" to Tiruchirapalli.
- Non electrified BG (Broad Gauge) line towards Tiruchirapalli Junction via Cuddalore Port Junction, Mayiladuthurai Junction, Kumbakonam and Thanjavur Junction.
- Electrified BG (Broad Gauge) line towards Katpadi Junction via Tiruvannamalai and Vellore Cantonment.
- Electrified BG (Broad Gauge) line to Puducherry.
Gauge conversion was underway in 2010, making rail traffic even heavier. Viluppuram Junction has been undergone a massive infrastructure upgrade to handle this traffic.
- Kandambakkam (KDMK)
- Mundiyampakkam (MYP)
- Valavanur (VRA)
- Venkatesapuram (VKM)
- Vikravandi (VVN)
- Thiruvennainallur (TNVL)
- Mailam (MTV)
- Mambalapattu (MMP)
- Perani (PEI)
- Chinnababusamudram (CBU)
- Ulundurpet (ULU)
- Perani (PEI)
- Olakur (OLA)
- Tindivanam (TMV)
- Tirukoilur (TRK)
- 22603/22604 Kharagpur - Villupuram Superfast Express (Tue,Wed)
- 22605/22606 Purulia - Villupuram Superfast Express (Sat)
- 568-82/84 : Villupuram - Tirupati Passenger(Daily)
- 568-83/85 : Tirupati - Villupuram Passenger(Daily)
- 56859/56860 Tambaram - Villupuram Passenger(Daily)
- 568-73/75/77 : Villupuram - Mayiladuthurai Passenger(Daily)
- 568-74/76/78 : Mayiladuthurai - Villupuram Passenger(Daily)
- 568-61/63/65 : Villupuram - Puducherry Passenger(Daily)
- 568-62/64/66 : Puducherry - Villupuram Passenger(Daily)
- 66045/66046 : Villupuram - Vellore Fast Pass(via : MLMR,MSB) (Daily)
- 56705/56706 : Villupuram - Madurai Passenger(Daily)
- 56881/56886 : Villupuram - Katpadi Passenger (Daily)
Major Passby Trains
- Vaigai Express
- Pallavan Express
- Cholan Express
- Guruvayur Express
- Chendur Express
- Kanyakumari Express
- Sethu Express
- Boat Mail Express
- Pearl City Express
- Ananthapuri Express
- Nellai Express
- Pothigai Express
- Mannai Express
- Pandian Express
- Uzhavan Express
- Chennai Egmore - Karaikal Kamban Express
- Mangalore Express
- Rockfort Express
- Tambaram - Tirunelveli Antyodaya Express
- Salem Express
- Pamani Express
- Thirukural Express
- Tamil Nadu Sampark Kranti Express
- Chennai Egmore - Puducherry Express
- Meenakshi Express
- Puducherry - New Delhi Express
- Yesvantpur - Puducherry Weekly Express
- Puducherry - Kanniyakumari Weekly Express
- Dadar Central - Puducherry Chalukya Express
- Howrah-Puducherry Express
- Puducherry - Bhubaneswar Superfast Express
- Puducherry - Mangalore Central Weekly Express
- Puducherry - Mangalore Central Express (via Tiruchirappalli)
- "Viluppuram Junction Grade". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 September 2007.
- R. Rajaram. "More BG sections to be electrified". The Hindu, 20 April 2011. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Villupuram District at a Glance". Villupuram district administration. Archived from the original on 26 December 2013. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Electrification work from Villupuram to Tiruchi completed: E. Ahamed". The Hindu. 12 January 2010. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- R.Rajaram (10 July 2010). "Tiruchi-Chennai line to get decongested". The Hindu. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Doubling work on 25-km stretch completed in Trichy division". The Times of India. 16 May 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Kallakudi Palanganatham-Ariyalur railway line nearing completion". The Hindu. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Passengers seek shuttle train in Villupuram-Katpadi section". The Hindu. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Special trains between Katpadi and Villupuram". The Hindu. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Residents demand railway station". Puducherry. The Hindu. Jan 6, 2009. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- C., Jaisankar (February 27, 2013). "A dream-come-true Railway budget: Union Minister". Puducherry. The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- "Bomb scare at railway station". Puducherry. The Hindu. February 3, 2013. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Viluppuram Junction railway station.|
|Next station northbound:
|South Line, Chennai Suburban||Next station southbound:
|Stop number: 46||KM from start: 162.76|
|This article about a railway station in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|