Podanur Junction railway station
|Regional rail and Light rail station|
|Location||Podanur, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
Coimbatore - Pollachi line
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Zone(s)||Southern Railway zone|
|Fare zone||Southern Railway zone|
Source: Google Maps
The station is operated by the Southern Railway zone of the Indian Railways and comes under the Salem railway division. It is one of the important railway stations in Coimbatore with trains to any part of India and also one of the A graded stations in the Southern Railway. Before the gauge conversion between podanur-Pollachi-Palani-Dindigul line in 2008, this station served as the important station for the connectivity of western Tamil Nadu to southern regions.
After Podanur – Dindigul gauge conversion, trains planned to operated from Podanur Junction, to serve as a satellite railway station for Coimbatore city Junction. But still people demand to bring back the trains Coimbatore to Madurai, Coimbatore to Rameshwaram, Coimbatore to Sengottai in this line that was earlier running successfully before the gauge conversion.
- Coimbatore Junction
- Coimbatore North Junction railway station
- Salem railway division
- Indian Railways
- Transport in Coimbatore
- Facilities in podanur junction
- Palaniappan V. S. (11 January 2016). "Podanur – welcoming in the first train". The Hindu. Coimbatore. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- "Southern Railway" (PDF). Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Podanur junction wears a deserted look". Times of India. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Welcome to Indian Railway Passenger reservation Enquiry". indianrail.gov.in. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- Palaniappan, V.S. (11 June 2012). "Will Coimbatore's gain be Podanur's loss?". The Hindu. Chennai, India.