Vladimir Marković in 2014, portrait via the Royal Society
October 1973 (age 46)
|Alma mater||University of Belgrade (BSc, PhD)|
|Known for||Surface subgroup conjecture |
|Thesis||Jedinstveno ekstremalna kvazikonformna preslikavanja i stacionarne tačke integrala energije (1998)|
|Doctoral advisor||Miodrag Mateljević|
Vladimir Marković is John D. MacArthur Professor of Mathematics at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and was Sadleirian Professor of Pure Mathematics at the University of Cambridge (2013-2014).
Career and Research
Previously, Marković has held positions at the University of Warwick for ten years, Stony Brook University and the University of Minnesota. Marković was also editor of Geometriae Dedicata from 2009 to 2013.
Marković's research interests are in low dimensional geometry, topology and dynamics and functional and geometric analysis. His research has been funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) the National Science Foundation (NSF), and the Royal Society.
Awards and honours
|“||Markovic is a world leader in the area of quasiconformal homeomorphisms and low dimensional topology and geometry. He has solved many famous and difficult problems. With Jeremy Kahn, he proved William Thurston's key conjecture that every closed hyperbolic 3-manifold contains an almost geodesic immersed surface.||”|
Marković was also awarded the Clay Research Award in 2012, Whitehead Prize and Philip Leverhulme Prize in 2004. He was an Invited Speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in the Geometry Section and Dynamical Systems Section, Seoul, Korea in 2014.
- Vladimir Marković CV
- Kahn, Jeremy; Markovic, Vladimir (2012). "Immersing almost geodesic surfaces in a closed hyperbolic three manifold". Annals of Mathematics. 175 (3): 1127. arXiv:0910.5501. doi:10.4007/annals.2012.175.3.4.
- "Professor Vladimir Marković FRS". London: The Royal Society. Archived from the original on 8 November 2014. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- The Royal Society Vladimir Markovic Biography
- Vladimir Markovic at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic
- Vladimir Markovic's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Vladimir Marković publications in arXiv.org, arXiv
- Marković, Vladimir (1998). Jedinstveno ekstremalna kvazikonformna preslikavanja i stacionarne tačke integrala energije (PhD thesis). University of Belgrade.
- Božin, V.; Lakic, N.; Marković, V.; Mateljević, M. (1998). "Unique extremality". Journal d'Analyse Mathématique. 75: 299–338. doi:10.1007/BF02788704.
- Epstein, David B. A.; Marden, A.; Markovic, Vladimir (2004). "Quasiconformal homeomorphisms and the convex hull boundary". Annals of Mathematics. 159: 305–336. doi:10.4007/annals.2004.159.305.
- Caltech: Particles and Pants, October 31, 2011
- "Simons Investigator Awardees". Simons Foundation. Retrieved 11 September 2017.