|Date||July 27, 2019|
|WWE Network event chronology|
WWE Smackville was a professional wrestling live event and WWE Network event, produced by WWE for their SmackDown brand. It took place on July 27, 2019, at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee.
Nine matches were contested on the card, three of which were shown for the one-hour WWE Network special. In the main event of the televised portion of the show, Kofi Kingston defeated Dolph Ziggler and Samoa Joe to retain the WWE Championship.
|Ring announcer||Greg Hamilton|
The card included nine matches, three of which were shown for the one-hour WWE Network special. The matches resulted from scripted storylines, where wrestlers portrayed villains, heroes, or less distinguishable characters in scripted events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches, with results predetermined by WWE's writers on the SmackDown brand. Storylines were produced on WWE's weekly television show SmackDown Live.
On the May 21 episode of SmackDown, Dolph Ziggler, who had been inactive since January's Royal Rumble event, made a surprise return and attacked Kofi Kingston. Ziggler, a Raw wrestler appearing via the wild card rule, later explained that it should have been him who got the opportunity to go to WrestleMania 35 and win the WWE Championship instead of Kingston. Ziggler, who was in turn moved to SmackDown, then lost to Kingston at both Super ShowDown and Stomping Grounds. On the June 24 episode of Raw, after Kingston had defeated both Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn in consecutive singles matches, Kingston was randomly attacked by Raw's Samoa Joe, who performed an "uranage" on Kingston. As referees tended to the champion, Joe returned and applied the "Coquina Clutch" on Kingston. Kingston would defeat Joe at Extreme Rules. On July 18, a WWE Championship Triple Threat match between the three wrestlers was announced for Smackville.
At Money in the Bank, Bayley won the women's Money in the Bank ladder match and later that night cashed in the contract on Charlotte Flair to win the SmackDown Women's Championship. On the June 4 episode of SmackDown, Flair competed in a triple threat match against Carmella and Raw's Alexa Bliss, who appeared via the wild card rule, in order to earn a rematch against Bayley for the title at Stomping Grounds. Bliss, however, won the match, thus Bliss earned the title match at Stomping Grounds, but lost. She and Cross then faced Bayley at Extreme Rules in a two-on-one handicap match for the title, but the two were defeated by Bayley. On July 18, a SmackDown Women's Championship triple threat match between Bayley, Flair, and Bliss was announced for Smackville, though this match was not shown on the WWE Network special.
During the Extreme Rules pre-show, Shinsuke Nakamura defeated Finn Bálor to win the Intercontinental Championship. A rematch was later scheduled for Smackville; however, Bálor was removed from the match on July 27 after suffering an undisclosed injury and was replaced by Ali.
- "SMACKVILLE to feature WWE Championship Triple Threat Match live on WWE Network July 27". WWE. July 18, 2019. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- Meltzer, Dave (July 28, 2019). "DAILY UPDATE: WWE INJURIES, UFC FALLOUT, ROH NOTES". Wrestling Observer. Retrieved July 28, 2019.
- Joseph Currier (July 18, 2019). "WWE ANNOUNCES SMACKVILLE NETWORK SPECIAL, TWO MATCHES SET". Wrestling Observer. Retrieved July 19, 2019.
- Grabianowski, Ed. "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on November 18, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Live & Televised Entertainment". WWE. Archived from the original on February 26, 2009. Retrieved March 21, 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Steinberg, Brian (May 25, 2016). "WWE's 'Smackdown' Will Move To Live Broadcast On USA (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on May 26, 2016. Retrieved May 25, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Triple H Conference Call Report: Discusses 205 Live, NXT Takeover: Toronto, Says HBK Working at the Performance Center and More - 411MANIA". 411mania.com.
- Barnett, Jake (May 21, 2019). "5/21 WWE Smackdown Live Results: Barnett's review of Roman Reigns vs. Elias, New Day celebrates Big E's return, Becky Lynch and Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair and Lace Evans, Kofi Kingston vs. Sami Zayn in a non-title match". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved May 22, 2019.
- Powell, Jason. "WWE Super ShowDown results: Powell's live review of Undertaker vs. Goldberg, Seth Rollins vs. Baron for the WWE Universal Championship, Kofi Kingston vs. Dolph Ziggler for the WWE Championship, Triple H vs. Randy Orton, Roman Reigns vs. Shane McMahon". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved June 7, 2019.
- Powell, Jason. "WWE Stomping Grounds results: Powell's live review of Seth Rollins vs. Baron Corbin with a special referee for the WWE Universal Championship, Kofi Kingston vs. Dolph Ziggler in a cage match for the WWE Championship, Becky Lynch vs. Lacey Evans for the Raw Women's Title, Samoa Joe vs. Ricochet the U.S. Championship". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved June 23, 2019.
- Powell, Jason (June 24, 2019). "6/24 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of U.S. Champion Ricochet vs. AJ Styles in a non-title match, Roman Reigns vs. Shane McMahon and Drew McIntyre in a handicap match, WWE Champion Kofi Kingston vs. Sami Zayn in a non-title match". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- Powell, Jason. "WWE Extreme Rules results: Powell's live review of Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch vs. Baron Corbin and Lacey Evans in an Extreme Rules match for the WWE Universal Championship and the Raw Women's Championship, Kofi Kingston vs. Samoa Joe for the WWE Championship". Pro Wreslting Dot Net. Retrieved July 14, 2019.
- "WWE SMACKVILLE". Bridgestone Arena.
- Powell, Jason. "WWE Money in the Bank results: Powell's live review of Seth Rollins vs. AJ Styles for the WWE Universal Championship, Kofi Kingston vs. Kevin Owens for the WWE Championship, Becky Lynch defends the Raw and Smackdown Women's Titles, two Money in the Bank ladder matches". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- Barnett, Jake (June 4, 2019). "6/4 WWE Smackdown Live Results: Barnett's review of Goldberg's appearance, final hype for WWE Super Showdown in Saudi Arabia, Bayley on A Moment of Bliss". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved June 5, 2019.
- Powell, Jason. "WWE Extreme Rules Kickoff Show results: Powell's review of Finn Balor vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for the Intercontinental Championship, Drew Gulak vs. Tony Nese for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship". Pro Wreslting Dot Net. Retrieved July 14, 2019.
- Johnson, Mike (July 27, 2019). "FINN BALOR MEDICAL UPDATE". Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved July 27, 2019.
- Cook, Ryan (July 27, 2019). "WWE Smackville Results Kofi Kingston Retains, Shinsuke Nakamura vs Ali". Fightful Wrestling. Retrieved July 28, 2019.
- MacDonald, Josiah (July 18, 2019). "WWE Smackville live results: Kingston vs. Joe vs. Ziggler". Wrestling Observer. Retrieved July 19, 2019.