Walang Hanggan (2012 TV series)
|Also known as||My Eternal|
|Written by||Reggie Amigo
|Directed by||Jerry Lopez Sineneng
Trina N. Dayrit
Jojo A. Saguin
|Opening theme||Hanggang Sa Dulo Ng Walang Hanggan
by Gary Valenciano
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, English|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||203|
|Executive producer(s)||Rosselle Beegee-Soldao
Hazel B. Parfan
Vincent San Antonio
John Ryan Bonifacio
|Running time||20-30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Dreamscape Entertainment TV|
|Picture format||NTSC (480i)|
|Original release||January 16, 2012– October 26, 2012|
|Related shows||Hihintayin Kita Sa Langit (I'll Wait For You in Heaven)
Walang Hanggan (English: Infinity/Eternal) is a classic Philippine television drama series loosely based on the 1991 Gomez-Zulueta film Hihintayin Kita Sa Langit, a film based on the Emily Brontë novel, Wuthering Heights. Directed by Jerry Lopez Sineneng and Trina N. Dayrit, it is topbilled by an ensemble cast. The series was premiered on ABS-CBN and worldwide on The Filipino Channel on January 16, 2012, replacing Nasaan Ka Elisa?. The drama became a huge hit maintaining the top spot in viewer ratings for most of its run, with its final episode on October 26, 2012 attaining its highest rating of 45.4% nationwide.
The story spans three generations.
Cruz sisters' Virginia (Susan Roces) and Margaret (Helen Gamboa) vie for the love of Joseph Montenegro (Eddie Gutierrez) in the fictional province of Olivarez. Virginia had to sacrifice everything to let Margaret live a better life with Joseph. Around two decades later, Margaret and Joseph's son Marco (Richard Gomez) develops feelings for Emily Cardenas (Dawn Zulueta), a daughter of a worker in their plantation. However, numerous circumstances and Margaret's haughtiness towards Emily prompts Marco to marry rich banker Jane Bonifacio (Rita Avila) - much to Emily's detriment. It fuels the Virginia-Margaret rivalry more, especially when Marco migrates to the US after Emily shuns him when he tries to explain.
Meanwhile, laborer William Alcantara (Joel Torre) settle in Olivarez with his children Katerina (Julia Montes) and Tomas (Joem Bascon). He adopts a streetboy named Daniel (Coco Martin) while working at the Cruz family business, where Virginia assumes a role as his adoptive grandmother. Daniel first plays around with Katerina but they gradually develop a friendship over the next several years. Marco and Jane return home with their children Johanna (Melissa Ricks) and Nathan (Paulo Avelino), with the latter becoming interested in Katerina as well. Virginia and Margaret's rivalry affects the children. Emily reemerges with a plan to avenge her woes by taking all the shares in the business. At the same time, Nathan schemes to get Daniel out of the way so he can marry Katerina. After Tomas stabs Daniel, Emily saves him and they escape to live in Italy as Emily and Daniel Guidotti.
Cast and characters
- Coco Martin as Emil "Daniel Cruz" Guidiotti / Daniel Montenegro
- Julia Montes as Katerina Alcantara-Guidotti / Montenegro
- Richard Gomez as Marco Montenegro
- Dawn Zulueta as Emilia "Emily" Cardenas-Montenegro / Guidiotti
- Helen Gamboa as Donya Margaret Cruz-Montenegro
- Susan Roces as Virginia "Henya" Cruz
- Paulo Avelino as Nathaniel "Nathan" Montenegro
- Melissa Ricks as Patricia "Johanna Montenegro" Bonifacio
- Joem Bascon as Tomas Alcantara
- Rita Avila / Eula Valdez as Jane Bonifacio-Montenegro† / Jean "Black Lily" Bonifacio†
- Noni Buencamino as Miguel Ramos
- Shamaine Buencamino as Luisa Alcantara
- Ogie Diaz as Kenneth
- Arlene Muhlach as Perla
- John Medina as James Ocampo
- Richard Yap as Henry de Dios
- Eda Nolan as Lorraine Delgado
- Ivan Morales as David Conde
- Froilan Sales as Hugo Rivera
- Lui Manansala as Laarni Peralta
- Andre Tiangco as Atty. Ronald Meneses
- Fred Payawan as Luis Villareal
- Dino Imperial as Jack
- Nanding Josef as Ernesto
- Menggie Cobarrubias as John Bonifacio
- Olive Cruz as Edith Bonifacio
- Wendy Valdez as Marian Jimenez
- William Lorenzo as Homer Reyes
- Dante Rivero as Teban
- Ricardo Cepeda as Atty. Pedring Sanchez (Daniel's lawyer)
- DM Sevilla
- PJ Endrinal as Joaquin
- Valerie Concepcion as Wedding planner
- Bryan Termulo as Wedding singer
- Gary Valenciano as Wedding singer
- Mon Confiado as Abdon Angeles
- Eddie Gutierrez as Joseph Montenegro†
- Joel Torre as William Alcantara†
- Spanky Manikan as Hernan Cardenas
- Yogo Singh as young Daniel
- Dexie Daulat as young Katerina
- John Vincent Servilla as young Nathan
- Yasmine Andrea as Joanne Montenegro
- Andrei Garcia as young Tomas
- EJ Jallorina as young Kenneth
- Sheryl Cruz as young Henya
- Ciara Sotto as young Margaret
- Melissa Mendez as Hilda Cruz
- Mark Gil† as Mr. Cruz
The final episode of "Walang Hanggan" drew in a record-breaking 45.4% nationwide audience share, topping its previous all-time highest rating of 44.5%. On social networking sites, "Walang Hanggan" also captivated netizens, as it quickly became the most talked-about topic online. The soap's title became the No. 1 trending topic worldwide on micro-blogging site Twitter during the final episode's airing. According to a release, “Walang Hanggan” became the only Philippine drama of 2012 to have surpassed the 40% margin, registering a whooping of 41% on May 23. On June 15, the drama registered a 41.4% ratings share and on June 29 posted 44.7% ratings share based on the Kantar Media-TNS data.
From January 9 to 13, 2012, the cast members of the series appeared via the morning talk show Kris TV where they promoted the series. First to make an appearance were Richard Gomez and Dawn Zulueta, followed by the artists of the Walang Hanggan: The Official Soundtrack album. On January 11, Julia Montes, Melissa Ricks, Joem Bascon and Paulo Avelino promoted their latest drama. This was followed by a guest appearance of Helen Gamboa and Susan Roces on January 12. By January 13, Coco Martin, the series' lead actor who coincidentally is the talk show's most requested guest, gave a special appearance.
Gomez once again promoted the series by guesting in the noontime variety show, Happy, Yipee, Yehey on January 14, the same day of the series' advanced special screening held at SM Megamall, the screening was attended by many acclaimed artists and critics namely Gomez' wife Lucy Torres with Kris Aquino, Vice Ganda and Liz Uy. Also present in the said screening was My Binondo Girl's Richard Yap, Zulueta's husband Cong. Anton Lagdameo and Garrie Concepcion.
On January 15, the cast visited SM North Skydome for a Grand Fans Day and for the release of the series' original soundtrack, they also guested in the musical variety show, ASAP 2012, followed by another appearance of Gomez in the late-night talk show, Gandang Gabi, Vice! while Paulo Avelino guested in The Buzz.
After its successful premiere and the viewer's warm support, the cast launched Pagmamahalang Walang Hanggan (Never-ending love): The Nationwide Mall Tour. In February 5, the cast visited SM City Lucena followed by an appearance in February 12 at SM City Pampanga. In February 18, the cast continued their appreciation stopping at Gaisano Capital Mall in Mactan, Cebu City. In February 25, Coco Martin visited Koronadal, General Santos City as well as being part of the Fun Feb Night concert with Jed Madela and Juris to promote the drama. In March 3, Martin, Ricks, Avelino, Bascon and Montes stopped by at Panagbenga Festival in Baguio City. The cast continued the tour in Gaisano Mall of Davao Atrium in March 17 and was followed by a tour at Panaad Stadium Bacolod City in April 14.
|Album #||Album Info||Tracklisting|
|1st||Walang Hanggan: The Official Soundtrack|
|2nd||Walang Hanggan: The Official Soundtrack Volume 2|
ABS-CBN took advantage of the show's popularity to partner with local jeweler Karat World to produce an "infinity ring," a special ring shaped like intertwined infinity loops. The rings are available in 14-karat solid yellow gold, 14-karat solid white gold, and silver 925. Each ring also has an “infinity marking” and a 585-stamping “to signify its gold purity." They also released infinity necklaces and earrings.
|2012||PMPC Star Awards for TV 2012||Best Drama Actress||Helen Gamboa||Won|
|2013||GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards ||Prince of Philippine Television||Coco Martin||Won|
|Princess of Philippine Television||Julia Montes||Won|
|All Time Favorite Love Team on Movies and TV||Richard Gomez and Dawn Zulueta||Won|
|Most Popular Primetime TV Drama Series||Walang Hanggan||Won|
|Golden Screen TV Awards ||Outstanding Original Drama Series||Walang Hanggan||Won|
|Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series||Paulo Avelino||Won|
|Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series||Helen Gamboa||Won|
- List of programs broadcast by ABS-CBN
- List of telenovelas of ABS-CBN
- List of Wuthering Heights adaptations
- "Coco says 'Walang Hanggan' is his best birthday gift". ABSCBN.com. 1 November 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "'Walang Hanggan' full trailer to premiere this Saturday". ABS-CBN.com. 16 December 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- Walang Hanggan (The Official Full Trailer)
- 'Walang Hanggan' finale scores all-time high rating
- "Walang Hanggan full trailer preems Dec. 17". PhilSTAR.com. 16 December 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- Richard Gomez and Dawn Zulueta appears on Kris TV
- The singers of Walang Hanggan: The Official Soundtrack album guests on Kris TV
- Julia Montes, Melissa Ricks, Paulo Avelino and Joem Bascon promotes their latest drama 'Walang Hanggan'
- Helen Gamboa-Sotto and Susan Roces visits Kris TV
- Coco Martin is "most requested" guest on Kris TV
- Coco Martin promotes Walang Hanggan on Kris TV
- Richard Gomez joins Happy Yipee Yehey this Saturday
- Eric John Salut confirms Walang Hanggan's special screening via Twitter
- Vice Ganda watches Walang Hanggan's special screening with Lucy Torres, Kris Aquino and Liz Uy
- My Binondo Girl's Richard Yap attends Walang Hanggan's special screening
- Walang Hanggan's soundtrack will hit the markets on January 15
- Walang Hanggan cast guests on ASAP 2012
- Richard Gomez guests in Gandang Gabi, Vice!
- Paulo Avelino guests in The Buzz
- Walang Hanggan cast visits SM Lucena next SM Pampanga
- Paulo, Coco and Julia in Gaisano Capital Mall Mactan
- Coco Martin in Fun Feb Night
- Galindez, Flow (9 February 2012). "Catch Coco Martin and Julia Montes on Walang Hanggan Mall Tour". ASK l. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- March 17 mall tour, Walang Hanggan
- April 14 mall tour: Panaad Festival
- ‘Infinity rings’ targeted at die-hard ‘Walang Hanggan’ fans
- "44th Guillermo Mendoza Box-Office Entertainment Awards". Pep.ph. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- . Rappler.com. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Official website
- Walang Hanggan on Facebook
- Walang Hanggan on Twitter
- Walang Hanggan at the Internet Movie Database