Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes
|Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes|
Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes was a multiplayer online battle arena being developed by BioWare Mythic and supposed to be published by Electronic Arts for Microsoft Windows until it was cancelled. The game was a spin-off based on Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning and was a Play4Free title, Electronic Arts' free-to-play model.
The game did not progress beyond beta and was shut down on March 29, 2013 effectively canceling it.
Development and release
Wrath of Heroes was announced on August 16, 2011 by BioWare at the Gamescom 2011. BioWare also presented a brief demo of Wrath of Heroes at Gamescom. The game was presented on August 28 at the PAX Prime 2011.
On February 28, 2013, EA announced the open beta would be shut down and the project cancelled; this occurred as announced on March 29, 2013. The FAQ on EA's website regarding Wrath of Heroes states "Mythic as a studio is undergoing a paradigm shift as we shift our focus to mobile. As part of this pivot, we had to make a few changes and reallocate resources to support this new direction. As such, we took a long look at Wrath of Heroes and despite its strong IP, gameplay, and community support; we decided not to continue the service past its Beta and instead concentrate those resources on our new endeavors."
The assumption, however, is that the game was not making enough money for EA to justify launching from beta.
- "Sorted by Electronic Arts under the "MOBA" genre in the Play4Free page". Electronic Arts. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes - PC". G4 TV. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- Onyett, Charles (August 18, 2011). "Gamescom: Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Impressions". IGN. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- Fletcher, JC (August 16, 2011). "Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes is EA's next 'Play4Free' game (update: trailer)". Joystiq. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- Sharkey, Mike (August 16, 2011). "Gamescom 2011: BioWare Announces Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes". GameSpy. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- Zivalich, Nikole (August 30, 2011). "Warhammer Online: Wrath Of Heroes Panel Video -- PAX Prime 2011". G4 TV. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- Conditt, Jessica (April 10, 2012). "Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes is open for business... er, beta". Joystiq. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- Haas, Pete (April 10, 2012). "Warhammer Online: Wrath Of Heroes Open Beta Begins". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- FAQ, EA (March 30, 2013). "Why is Wrath of Heroes being shut down? ". EA. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- O'Connor, Alice (March 1, 2013). "Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes shutting down". Shacknews. Retrieved 28 February 2013.