William John Sullivan
John Sullivan at Free Software Foundation event, June 2006.
|Born||William John Sullivan
December 6, 1976
|Employer||Free Software Foundation|
William John Sullivan (more commonly known as John Sullivan) (born December 6, 1976) is a software freedom activist, hacker, and writer. John is currently executive director of the Free Software Foundation, where he has worked since early 2003. He is also a speaker and webmaster for the GNU Project. He also maintains the Plannermode and delicious-el packages for the GNU Emacs text editor.
Active in both the free software and free culture communities, Sullivan has a BA in philosophy from Michigan State University and an MFA in Writing and Poetics. In college, Sullivan was a successful policy debater, reaching finals of CEDA Nationals and the semifinals of the National Debate Tournament.
Since 2011 he serves as Executive Director of the Free Software Foundation.
As a speaker for the GNU Project
John currently delivers speeches on the following topics, in English:
- Digital Restrictions Management issues and the FSF's Defective by Design campaign
- Media format patents, proprietary licensing, and the FSF's PlayOgg.org campaign
- Choosing free software over Microsoft Windows Vista, and the FSF's BadVista campaign
- How you can help: Strategies for communicating and organizing around free software ideals
- Why software should be free
- Introduction to the GPLv3 and free software licensing
- FSF/GNU high-priority free software projects
- Sullivan, William John. "Contacting John Sullivan". Retrieved 2010-02-24.
- John Sullivan's home page
- FSF announces new executive director
- "NDT Results 1997-2005" (PDF). American Forensic Association. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- GNU's Webmasters - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)
- GNU and Free Software Speakers - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)
- Confusing Words and Phrases that are Worth Avoiding - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)
- High Priority Free Software Projects - Free Software Foundation
- Personal homepage
- John Sullivan's weblog
- Free Software Foundation
- Play Ogg
- Defective by Design