|Developer(s)||Christian Grothoff and Florian Dold|
|Type||Microtransaction and electronic payment|
GNU Taler is a free software-based microtransaction and electronic payment system. Unlike most other decentralized payment systems, GNU Taler does not use a blockchain. A blind signature is used to protect the privacy of users as it prevents the exchange from knowing which coin it signed for which customer.
The project is led by Florian Dold and Christian Grothoff of Taler Systems SA. Taler is short for the "Taxable Anonymous Libre Economic Reserves" and alludes to the Taler coins in Germany during the Early Modern period. It has vocal support from GNU Project founder Richard Stallman. Stallman has described the program as "designed to be anonymous for the payer, but payees are always identified." In a paper published in Security, Privacy, and Applied Cryptography Engineering, GNU Taler is described as meeting ethical considerations – the paying customer is anonymous while the merchant is identified and taxable. An implementation is provided by Taler Systems SA.
- "Taler licensing information".
- "Taler - Free Software Directory".
- "GNU Taler 0.0.0 Released: GNU Tries To Get Into Electronic Payments".
- "GNU cryptocurrency aims at 'the mainstream economy not the black market'". The Register.
- "FAQ: How is Taler related to Bitcoin or Blockchains?".
- "GNU Taler: Ethical Online Payments for the Internet Age". ercim-news.ercim.eu. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
- Sprint, Book (2016-05-19). Cost of Freedom. Lulu.com. ISBN 978-1-365-08698-4.
- "Halbanonymes Bezahlsystem: GNU Taler soll Kryptowährungen gerechter machen - Golem.de". www.golem.de (in German). Retrieved 2020-01-03.
- "Stallman's final interview as FSF president: Last week we quizzed him over Microsoft visit. Now he quits top roles amid rape remarks outcry". The Register.
- "A radical proposal to keep your personal data safe". TheGuardian.com. 3 April 2018.
- Carlet, Claude; Hasan, M. Anwar; Saraswat, Vishal (2016-12-09). Security, Privacy, and Applied Cryptography Engineering: 6th International Conference, SPACE 2016, Hyderabad, India, December 14-18, 2016, Proceedings. Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-49445-6.
- Dold, Florian (2019-02-25). The GNU Taler system : practical and provably secure electronic payments (phdthesis thesis). Université Rennes 1.
- Pentland, Alex 'Sandy'. "Digital cash and privacy: What are the alternatives to Libra?". MIT Media Lab. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- "Kampf der Kryptowährungen – das sind die Alternativen zu Libra". www.netzwoche.ch (in German). Retrieved 2020-01-03.