Sir Winfried Franz Wilhelm "Win" Bischoff (born 10 May 1941) is an Anglo-German banker and former chairman of Lloyds Banking Group. He previously served as chairman and interim CEO of Citigroup in 2007. He was succeeded as CEO by Vikram Pandit on 11 December 2007. Bischoff stepped down as chairman on 23 February 2009 and was replaced by Richard Parsons. He has dual British and German citizenship. Bischoff was knighted in 2000.
Early life and education
He was born in Aachen, Germany and had an early education in Cologne and Düsseldorf. In 1955 he moved to Johannesburg where he received a Bachelor of Commerce degree at the University of the Witwatersrand in 1961.
He joined J. Henry Schroder & Co. Limited in London in 1966 in its Company Finance Division. In 1971 he became Managing Director of Schroders Asia Limited in Hong Kong. He became Group Chief Executive of Schroders plc in December 1984, when Schroders was worth £30 million. He became chairman in May 1995. In 2000 the investment banking division of the company was acquired for £1.3 billion by Citi through its Smith Barney subsidiary. The new investment company was temporarily called Schroder Salomon Smith Barney.
He joined Citi as chairman of Citigroup Europe and was a member of The Operating Committee of Citigroup Inc., a position he held until appointed chairman in November 2007. He is a non-executive director at S&P Global, Eli Lilly and Company, Land Securities, Akbank and Prudential. He was the chairman of the British educational charity Career Academies UK from its inception until 2013, when he stepped down and was replaced by Heather McGregor.
On 27 July 2009, he was appointed as chairman designate of Lloyds Banking Group and took up the position of chairman on 15 September 2009. He held this position until his retirement on 3 April 2014.
In May 2014 he was appointed as chairman of the UK and Ireland Financial Reporting Council.
- "Sir Win Bischoff". Citigroup. Retrieved 2007-12-11.
- "Citi | Responsible Finance - Financial Ingenuity - Global Bank". www.citigroup.com. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- Seib, Christine (22 January 2009). "Sir Win Bischoff to leave early from chairmanship of Citigroup". The Times. London. Retrieved 2009-01-22.
- "Sir Win Bischoff – who he?". Financial Times. 5 November 2007.
- forum.europe.com SUSTAINABLE FINANCIAL MARKETS FOR EUROPEAN CITIZENS IN A GLOBAL ERA - Retrieved November 26, 2007
- Citigroup boss banks on his 'foot soldiers' - The Times - September 17, 2006
- "Lloyds Banking Group PLC: Lord Blackwell appointed as Chairman". lloydsbankinggroup.com. 2 December 2013.
- "Members – 30 Percent Club". 30percentclub.org.uk.
Sir Victor Blank
|Chairman of Lloyds Banking Group
The Lord Blackwell
|CEO of Citigroup
November – December 2007
|Chairman of Citigroup