Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed
Baba-Ahmed has a BSc in Economics from the University of Westminster, United Kingdom. He worked in the security Printing and Minting, Lagos before entering politics. In 2006, while a Federal representative, he earned the title of Doctor of Philosophy when he successfully completed his PhD studies at the University of Westminster.
Federal representative (2003-2007)
Baba-Ahmed was popular for his principled activism. During the administration of President Olusegun Obasanjo, he was among lawmakers who opposed letting Obasanjo run for a third term. In May 2006 he said he would not run for reelection unless action was taken to investigate allegations that members had been bribed to support the constitutional changes needed for a third term presidency. In 2007 he took the Independent National Electoral Commission to court over conduct of past elections. He was known for speaking out against corruption.
Speaking at an Islamic media forum in Abuja in September 2008, Baba-Ahmed called on journalists to fearlessly submit accurate reports. He said that corruption in the country is endemic, and special prayers and determination from all stakeholders are needed to correct the situation. Baba-Ahmed became the Managing Director of Baze Research and Data Services Ltd.
Baba-Ahmed was Founder and Pro–Chancellor of Baze University, an independent University located in Abuja in the Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria, opening in April 2011. Citing his studies abroad as a benchmark, he said that the Nigerian educational system was "appalling" and that this inspired him to start Baze University.
Senatorial career (2011 - present)
In the April 2011 elections, Baba-Ahmed polled 366,398 votes in the contest for Senator for Kaduna North. Runner-up Senator Ahmed Makarfi of the People's Democratic Party (PDP), the incumbent, polled 365,043 votes.
- Abdulkareem Baba Aminu (13 October 2007). "Too Early to Judge Yar'Adua on Anti -Corruption - Ex-Rep. Baba-Ahmed". Daily Trust. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- "Votes and Proceedings". House of Representatives. 9 August 2006. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- Mu'azu, Auwal S. "Nigeria: We Practically Transform Students At Baze University - Baba-Ahmed". AllAfrica. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- Muhammed Abubakar, Abuja (8 September 2008). "Uwais, others urge Moslems to fight corruption". Independent Corrupt Practices Commission. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- Abdul-Azeez Suleiman (November 22, 2003). "Buhari's lonely struggles". Weekly Trust. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- "How the parties will fare tomorrow". Nigerian News Service. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- Bola Badmus and Lanre Adewole, Abuja (September 8, 2008). "Financial scandal rocks EFCC - Official finds huge amount in his bank account". Nigerian Daily News. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- JAMES OJO (May 12, 2006). "Rep wants N50m bribery allegation probed".
- "Odom Commends Private Investment in the Education Secto". Federal Capital Territory. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- "Welcome to Baze University". Baze University. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- "Makarfi loses senatorial seat to CPC". Nigerian Daily. April 29, 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-03.