1924 Wimbledon Championships
|1924 Wimbledon Championships|
|Date:||June 23-July 5|
London, United Kingdom
|Kitty McKane Godfree|
|Frank Hunter / Vincent Richards|
|Hazel Wightman / Helen Wills|
|Kathleen McKane / John Gilbert|
The 1924 Wimbledon Championships took place on the outdoor grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom. The tournament ran from 23 June until 5 July. It was the 44th staging of the Wimbledon Championships, and the second Grand Slam tennis event of 1924.
This edition saw the introduction of a draw that made use of a seeding list. The seeding was based on nationality and aimed at preventing nominated players from the same nationality meeting before the later rounds. A maximum of four players could be nominated by a country and these would be seeded into four different quarters of the draw. In 1927 the system of seeding by nationality was extended with a merit–based seeding based on the ranking of players.
- 2010 Wimbledon Compendium, by Alan Little (The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Wimbledon, London)
- "Grand Slam Tournaments - Wimbledon" (PDF). usta.com. United States Tennis Association. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Roll of Honour - Women's Singles". wimbledon.org. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Roll of Honour - Men's Doubles". wimbledon.org. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Seeding the Draw". The Glasgow Herald. Jun 14, 1955.
- "SPORTING CABLES.". The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954) (Perth, WA: National Library of Australia). 12 December 1923. p. 9.
- "'Seed' Drawings for Tennis Meet". The Telegraph–Herald and Times-Journal. Jun 15, 1927.
1923 Wimbledon Championships
|Wimbledon Championships||Succeeded by
1925 Wimbledon Championships
1924 Australasian Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1924 U.S. National Championships