1987 San Francisco Giants season
|1987 San Francisco Giants|
|NL West Champions|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Al Rosen|
(Ron Fairly, Gary Park)
(Joe Morgan, Duane Kuiper)
(Ron Fairly, Wayne Hagin)
(Tito Fuentes, Edgard Martinez)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1987 San Francisco Giants season saw the Giants finish in first place in the National League West with a record of 90 wins and 72 losses. They lost the National League Championship Series in seven games to the St. Louis Cardinals. It was their first playoff appearance since 1971.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 National League Championship Series
- 5 Award winners
- 6 Farm system
- 7 References
- 8 External links
- October 16, 1986: Brad Gulden was released by the San Francisco Giants. 
- October 16, 1986: Chuck Hensley was released by the San Francisco Giants.
- October 21, 1986: Mike Jeffcoat was released by the San Francisco Giants. 
- February 4, 1987: Atlee Hammaker was signed as a free agent by the Giants.
- March 31, 1987: Dan Gladden and David Blakely (minors) were traded by the Giants to the Minnesota Twins for Jose Dominguez (minors), Ray Velasquez (minors) and a player to be named later. The Twins completed the deal by sending Bryan Hickerson to the Giants on June 15.
Opening Day starters
- Bob Brenly
- Chris Brown
- Will Clark
- Chili Davis
- Mike Krukow
- Jeffrey Leonard
- Candy Maldonado
- Robby Thompson
- José Uribe
|San Francisco Giants||90||72||--||.556|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||73||89||17.0||.451|
|San Diego Padres||65||97||25.0||.401|
- April 25, 1987: Colin Ward and Steve Miller (minors) were traded by the Giants to the San Diego Padres for Mark Wasinger and Tim Meagher (minors).
- May 28, 1987: Greg Minton was released by the Giants.
- June 2, 1987: Mike Benjamin was drafted by the Giants in the 3rd round of the 1987 Major League Baseball Draft. Player signed June 14, 1987.
- July 5, 1987: Mark Davis, Chris Brown, Keith Comstock, and Mark Grant were traded by the Giants to the San Diego Padres for Dave Dravecky, Craig Lefferts, and Kevin Mitchell.
- July 31, 1987: Mackey Sasser and $50,000 were traded by the Giants to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Don Robinson.
- August 21, 1987: Jeff Robinson and Scott Medvin were traded by the Giants to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Rick Reuschel.
Major League debuts
- Kirt Manwaring (Sep 15)
- Jessie Reid (Sep 9)
- Mackey Sasser (Jul 17)
- Matt Williams (Apr 11)
- John Burkett (Sep 15) 
|1987 San Francisco Giants|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
|= Indicates team leader|
National League Championship Series
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Fresno
- Atlee Hammaker page at Baseball Reference
- Dan Gladden page at Baseball Reference
- Mark Wasinger page at Baseball Reference
- Greg Minton page at Baseball Reference
- Mike Benjamin page at Baseball Reference
- Mark Davis page at Baseball Reference
- Mackey Sasser page at Baseball Reference
- Rick Reuschel page at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 2nd and 3rd editions. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 1997 and 2007
- 1987 San Francisco Giants team page at Baseball Reference
- 1987 San Francisco Giants team page at Baseball Almanac