|Type||Società per Azioni|
|Predecessor(s)||Ansaldo Trasporti and Breda Costruzioni Ferroviarie|
|Founded||By merger in 2001|
|Number of locations||4|
|Key people||Maurizio Manfellotto (CEO)|
|Products||Rail transport vehicles|
AnsaldoBreda S.p.A. is a rail transport engineering company based in Italy. The company designs and manufactures railway and mass transit vehicles.
In 1853, the company Gio. Ansaldo & C. was registered in Genoa as a manufacturer of steam locomotives, rail rolling stock and steam engines. The company was supported by the Minister of Finance, Camillo Benso, Count of Cavour, who aimed to reduce the State of Savoy's dependence on imported trains and rolling stock.
In 1989 both Ansaldo and Breda participated in a consortium for the design and manufacturing of the ETR500 high speed train.
AnsaldoBreda was formed in 2001 by the merger of Ansaldo Trasporti and Breda Costruzioni Ferroviarie, and is part of the Finmeccanica group. It has production sites at four locations in Italy: Naples, Reggio Calabria, Palermo, and Pistoia.
Ansaldo entered the age of the steam locomotive in 1854 with its model FS113, also known as Sampierdarena.
In 1908 SIEB's thousandth locomotive was built, a model FS 685 with serial number 600  now preserved in the Leonardo da Vinci Museum of Science and Technology in Milan. It used Caprotti valve gear.
In 1936 Breda (SIEB) entered the electric locomotive era with the production of the FS Class ETR 200 series electric multiple unit. In 1939 this type set the land speed record for rail vehicles at 203 km/h (126 mph). Although only 18 trains of this type were constructed they remained in service for a long time until they were finally withdrawn from service in 1993.
In 1976 the FS ETR 400 entered service. Fiat Ferroviaria manufactured the body and bogies, whilst Ansaldo produced the power unit. It was the first train in the world featuring active body tilting to enter commercial service and was capable of speeds of up to 250 km/h (160 mph).
The TREVI Consortium, of which Ansaldo and Breda Costruzioni Ferroviarie were members, introduced the high speed FS ETR 500 series in 1989 . The first high-speed trains to run on Turkish rails were two ETR 500 train sets leased from Trenitalia of Italy and were used for testing the completed part of the high-speed railway network between Eskişehir and Ankara on April 23, 2007. During the tests, ETR 500 Y2 achieved the current rail speed record in Turkey, reaching 303 km/h. The train was capable of exceeding 300 km/h (190 mph). It reached 362 km/h (225 mph) in the Monte Bibele tunnel between Florence and Bologna in 2009, setting a speed record for trains in a tunnel.
A more modern high speed train Frecciarossa 1000 high speed train was developed in a consortium with Bombardier Transportation. The first ETR1000 was christened Mennea in honour of the Italian athlete Pietro Mennea who had died five days earlier. The first high speed train developed and produced by AnsaldoBreda without other partners was the V250 which was developed for use on the Dutch and Belgian railways.
Besides the construction of locomotives, AnsaldoBreda manufactures railway cars, trams, and trains for commuter rail, high-speed rail, and main lines. AnsaldoBreda has also developed a driverless multiple unit train.
- locomotive E.402
- locomotive E.403
- multiple unit Treno Servizio Regionale (TSR) for LeNORD.
- multiple unit Treno ad alta frequentazione (TAF) for Ferrovie Nord Milano.
- three-car articulated units ETR 211 Metrostar for Circumvesuviana. The Circumvesuviana operate a fleet of twenty-six "Metrostar".
- Meneghino for Milan Metro of Milan.
- AnsaldoBreda Driverless Metro for Milan Metro Line 5 of Milan Metro.
- AnsaldoBreda Sirio for Tramvie Elettriche Bergamasche of Bergamo.
- AnsaldoBreda Sirio for Rete tranviaria di Firenze of Florence.
- AnsaldoBreda Sirio for Naples tramway network of Naples.
- AnsaldoBreda Sirio for Sassari metro-tramway of Sassari.
- electric multiple unit NSB Class 72 for Norwegian State Railways. The NSB operates a fleet of 36 trains.
- multiple unit SL95 for Oslo Tramway. The Oslotrikken operates a fleet of 32 low-floor, articulated trams. Over the years, AnsaldoBreda has updated the equipment to meet the requirements and demands of the operator in Norway.
- multiple unit AnsaldoBreda series S7000 operates mainly on the Line 10 (Madrid Metro) Madrid Metro. The Madrid Metro operates a fleet of 37 trains.
- multiple unit AnsaldoBreda series S9000 for the Line 7 (Madrid Metro) Madrid Metro. The Madrid Metro operates a fleet of 52 trains.
- Midland Metro currently operate a fleet of 16 two carriage T69 trams in Birmingham. The fleet is being completely replaced after 14 years of service by CAF Urbos 3 trams.
- Manchester Metrolink commenced operations in 1992 using a passenger fleet of 26 T-68 trams, with a further 6 (slightly modified) versions supplied by 2000. The entire fleet is being replaced; as of 2013 approximately half the T68s have been retired.
- multiple unit Breda CQ312 class for the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority. The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority operates a fleet of 100 cars, car numbers 601-702, built by Breda, 2001–2005.
- multiple unit AnsaldoBreda Type 8 LRV for the Green Line (MBTA) of Boston. The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority operates a fleet of 95 LRV cars.
- multiple unit AnsaldoBreda LRV for the Blue and Green Lines (Cleveland) RTA Rapid Transit of Cleveland. The RTA Rapid Transit operates a fleet of 48 LRV cars.
- multiple unit AnsaldoBreda P2550  for the Gold Line (Los Angeles Metro) Metro Los Angeles. The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority operates a fleet of 50 LRV cars.
- multiple unit Ansaldobreda A650  to the Red Line (Los Angeles Metro) Metro Los Angeles. The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority operates a fleet of 104 trains built in two series: the first series (fleet numbers 501 to 530) between 1988 and 1993, the second series (fleet numbers 531 to 604), were built between 1995 and 1997.
- multiple unit AnsaldoBreda LRV2 and AnsaldoBreda LRV3 for the Muni Metro of San Francisco Municipal Railway. The Muni Metro operates a fleet of 151 LRV cars.
- multiple units for the Washington Metro. The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority operates:
Delays in the delivery of trains to Denmark
Delivery of 83 IC4 trainsets for the Danish State Railways DSB was originally planned for 2003-2006. As of March 2013, 22 trainsets have still not been delivered, On 2 July 2012, the DSB announced that the Transportation Authority had approved Denmark's railway operator to put back into operation the fleet of 37 IC4s which had been withdrawn from service in November 2011. In December 2011, it was reported that one of the missing IC4 trainsets planned for delivery in Denmark was found in Libya. Reportedly, AnsaldoBreda and then Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi gave Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi the trainset as a present on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of Gaddafi's revolution in 2009. 
A primary settlement was reached in May 2009. Danish State Railways shall receive the uncompleted trains from AnsaldoBreda, complete the trains itself, and shall certify the trains for public usage itself. AnsaldoBreda will pay back 2.25 billion DKK (300 million Euro). A secondary settlement was reached on 18 December 2012 between AnsaldoBreda and Danish railways. AnsaldoBreda will pay 98 million Euro, provide additional spare parts and upgrade the train control and management system. Further delays will give DSB an unambiguous option to cancel the remaining deliveries.
Fyra service suspended
V250 train units were delivered to NS over five years later than originally contracted. Soon after the trains went into service in the Netherlands and Belgium, the V250 suffered a number of technical problems. When the first snow fell in the winter of 2012/13, some V250 trains started losing parts of their bottom plates due to ice build-up. Consequently the Belgian railway company NMBS/SNCB declared the V250 unsafe, and the trains were taken out of commercial service on 16 January 2013. Dutch railways is now seeking compensation for damages and Dutch politicians have called for a parliamentary inquiry into the problems with the V250 train quality issues and AnsaldoBreda's failure to rectify them in a timely manner. On 22 January Belgian railways called on AnsaldoBreda to fix all deficiencies that had been independently identified with the V250 units within 3 months, as agreed in the purchase contract, or the contract would be declared void.
In May 2013, the Belgian railway company cancelled its contract with AnsaldoBreda, after a technical examination of a pair of V250 train halves. The inspections yielded 1159 and 2019 deficiency points, where a total of 9 per full train was the permitted tolerance before rejection. The report mentioned, amongst others, the following defects: during a test run, an iron plate of the roof bent towards the overhead wire, axles were severely rusted, with a risk of breaking in moving trains, the brakes were not suited for high-speed trains, wiring was not shielded from rain and snow, a bottom plate came loose and fell down on the railtrack, batteries overheated in carriages that had been already taken out of service, resulting in fire and subsequent scorches in the carriages, earthing points were wrongly connected, causing electric driven heavy oxidation, the door sliding mechanisms were faulty, assembly varied from train to train. On the same day the report was published, the Belgian public broadcasting organizations RTBF and VRT got hold of photographs showing the wrecked conditions the V250 trains were in. However, because of major technical problems with these trains, the trains were taken out of rotation within weeks after the start of the service. On the 31st of May 2013, the NMBS/SNCB cancelled the Fyra project entirely. On June 3, NS also announced it was stopping operation of V250 trains. According to their survey of the trains it would take at least 17 months to repair all construction flaws, and entry into service would not be expected before 2018. In addition, even if trains were to be repaired, the maintenance cost would be much higher and the lifetime of the trains much lower than agreed in the contracts with AnsaldoBreda. It is currently unlikely that the V250 will enter commercial service again. In a response to the Dutch and Belgian complaints about damage to the trains, AnsaldoBreda blamed the operators for being irresponsible in running the trains at the certified top speed of 250 km/h in winter, and not performing the recommended daily maintenance. Belgian rail operators claim the latter is not true, and that the problems encountered can only be caused by structural problems with the trains.
- "Cavour e la fondazione dell'Ansaldo - Lezioni di Storia - parte 3, Valerio Castronovo". YouTube. November 29, 2010.
- BREDA, Ernesto, Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani - Volume 14 (1972)
- Company. AnsaldoBreda. Retrieved on 2009-07-17.
- Energy Transportation. Finmeccanica. Retrieved on 2009-07-17.
- Salvatore Bianconi appointed as new CEO of AnsaldoBreda (2008-05-27). Finmeccanica. Retrieved on 2009-07-18.
- Locomotiva Gr. S 685.600
- "Forse nel tentativo di raggiungere il primato mondiale di velocità ferroviaria, che appena il mese prima un treno Diesel tedesco in prova aveva portato a 215 km/h, si pensò a una nuova corsa con un ETR.200. L'ingegner Mario Martinelli delle FS ricorda che 'poiché sembrava che la corsa dovesse essere ripetuta, fu prescelto l'ETR.214 per questo secondo exploit... poi l'idea della seconda corsa fu abbandonata: la guerra si avvicinava." Cf Cornolò, Una leggenda op. cit., p. 34.
- Maurizio Panconesi, La direttissima degli Appennini. La linea Bologna-Prato e le sue ferrovie di servizio, Cortona, Calosci, 2002, ISBN 88-7785-179-1, pp. 121-125.
- Hürriyet: H?zl? tren art?k raylarda
- "Nuovo record di velocità del treno italiano Etr 500 in Turchia: 303 km/h" (in Italian). Il Sole 24 Ore. 2007-09-14. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "Raggiunto in galleria il record mondiale di velocità di 362 km/h" (in Italian). fsnews.it. February 2009. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- Frecciarossa 1000 in cifre (25-09-2012).
- Primo Frecciarossa 1000
- Morto Pietro Mennea
- AnsaldoBreda. AnsaldoBreda. Retrieved on 2009-07-17.
- "Nuovo record di velocità sulla linea AV Milano-Bologna" (in Italian). FSNews. 2008-03-03. Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- "Record italiano di velocità" (in Italian). Tutto Treno. April 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-02.[dead link]
- "200 giorni al primo treno Alta Velocità sulla Milano-Bologna" (in Italian). FSNews. 2008-05-28. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- Chiandoni, Marco (30 August 2012), "Trenitalia unveils ETR 1000 mock-up", International Railway Journal
- "Trenitalia unveils Frecciarossa 1000", www.railwaygazette.com, 20 August 2012
- Ecco "Metrostar", il nuovo treno della Circumvesuviana
- "Milan Metro Meneghino". AnsaldoBreda. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "Metropolitana più comoda e sicura con il nuovo treno "Meneghino"". Corriere della Sera. 20 March 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "500 million euro Italian metro deal". International Railway Journal. April 2006. Retrieved 17 November 2009.
- "Copenhagen Metro". Arcspace. Retrieved 15 November 2009.
- AnsaldoBreda. "Driverless metros". Retrieved 14 November 2009.[dead link]
- "Il tram Sirio, Progetto T1". 14 February 2013. Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- "In quarantamila su Sirio". Corriere Fiorentino. 14 February 2010. Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- "Tutti pazzi per Sirio Boom di viaggiatori in tram". la Repubblica Firenze. 18 January 2011. Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- Morocco's railway acquires 24 new EMU http://www.railwaygazette.com/en/news/shipbuilding/single-view/view/moroccos-rail-renaissance-takes-a-major-step-forward.html
- Johansen, Magne (2 June 2013). "Fiaskotrikker og suksesstog er fra samme fabrikk" (in Norwegian). Oslo By (Aftenposten). Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- SL 95 (PDF in Norwegian)
- Blix, Håvard (2001). "SL95". Lokaltrafikk (in Norwegian) 46: 38.
- Blix, Håvard (2001). "SL95". Lokaltrafikk (in Norwegian) 47: 41–42.
- Mintra Serie 7000
- Serie 7000
- Boynton (2001), p.80.
- "Happy birthday Metrolink: Old trams axed as network turns 20". Manchester Evening News. 17 July 2012. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "Manchester's oldest Metrolink trams to be replaced". BBC News. 17 July 2012. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- Brenda Specification Sheet
- Bierman, Noah (November 12, 2007). "T will take 10 new cars for its busy Green Line". The Boston Globe.
- Exner, Rich (June 3, 2005). "Rebuild is anything but rapid RTA’s first Breda-car renovations: over budget and behind schedule". The Plain Dealer. p. B3. Retrieved 2007-06-11.
- Red line train
- "Union station bound train at civic center". YouTube. April 9, 2007.
- "Metro Purple Line to Wilshire/Western at Pershing Square". YouTube. August 30, 2007.
- "2010 SFMTA Transit Fleet Management Plan" (PDF). San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- Nolte, Carl (December 10, 1996). "Stylish New Streetcars Ready to Roll". San Francisco Chronicle (Hearst Communications, Inc.). Retrieved February 14, 2009.
- Specification sheet from AnsaldoBreda; this still applies since these cars have not been overhauled.
- . Retrieved on 2013-03-21.
- DSB: IC4 in servizio
-  Retrieved on 2013-03-25.
- . Retrieved on 2013-03-21.
- "REPORT ON DSB’S PROCUREMENT AND COMPLETION OF IC4 AND IC2 TRAINS" (Press release). Rigsrevisionen’s. June 2012.
- "DSB and AnsaldoBreda reach agreement on IC4 delivery - update". International Railway Journal. 18 December 2012.
- . Volkskrant. Retrieved on 2013-01-18.
- . Retrieved on 2013-01-20.
- . De Standaard. Retrieved on 2013-05-31.
- . De Standaard. Retrieved on 2013-05-31.
- . NMBS report. Retrieved on 2013-05-31.
- . RTBF. Retrieved on 2013-05-31.
- . VRT. Retrieved on 2013-05-31.
- Giovanni Cornolò, Una leggenda che corre. Breve storia dell'elettrotreno e dei suoi primati. ETR.200 - ETR.220 - ETR 240, 2. ed., Salò, Editrice Trasporti su Rotaie, 1990, ISBN 88-85068-23-5
- Stefano Garzaro, Angelo Nascimbene, FS-Italia. Elettrotreno ETR 400 "Pendolino", collana Monografie ferroviarie n. 6, Torino, Edizioni Elledi, 1982
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AnsaldoBreda.|
- AnsaldoBreda, official website