Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani – Dubai Campus
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus|
|बिरला प्रौद्योगिकी एवं विज्ञान संस्थान पिलानी - दुबई कैंपस|
|Motto||Innovate, Achieve, Lead|
|Chancellor||Dr. Kumar Mangalam Birla|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr B.N Jain|
|Director||Dr R.K Mittal|
|Location|| Dubai International Academic City, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
|Campus||14 acres (57,000 m2)|
|Molecule (Science), Lotus (Humanities), Rocket (Technology)|
BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus (Hindi: बिरला प्रौद्योगिकी एवं विज्ञान संस्थान, पिलानी-दुबई कैंपस ) (known as: Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani – Dubai Campus and BPDC) is a private technical university located in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It is a campus of BITS Pilani.
Dual Degree Under this scheme, a student can complete two degrees. All the admitted students are given an opportunity to take up a Dual Degree based on their performance in the first year of the programme.
Practice School (PS) The Practice School (PS) is part of the University - Industry linkage. On the PS program the student applies his classroom knowledge to real-life situations faced by industry. For seven and a half months the classroom is taken to a location where the students andfaculty get involved in real life situations.
The PS Program for the first degree has two components, namely PS-I which is exposure-oriented of two months duration implemented during the summer following the 2nd year & PS-II, which is project-based and of five and a half months duration implemented during either of the semesters of the final year.
All the degree programs of the campus provide for a practice school option, a student who exercises such an option, is awarded a degree that carries the tag 'Practice School' on successful completion of the program.
Nearly all PS-II students of the campus are paid monthly stipend by the industries during their five and a half months internship. Currently, 380 industries/companies are offering internships to BPD students.
BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus offers 4-year Integrated First Degree programs at the undergraduate level in the following seven fields:
- B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
- B.E (Hons.) Chemical Engineering
- B.E (Hons.) Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- B.E (Hons.) Electronics & Communication Engineering
- B.E (Hons.) Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- B.E (Hons.) Mechanical Engineering
- B.E (Hons.) Biotechnology
Higher degree evening programs offered are:
- M.E. Design Engineering
- M.E. Microelectronics
- M.E. Software Systems
- M.E. Biotechnology
- M.B.A.Engineering and Technology Management
- M.B.A. IT Enabled Services Management
Academic and research collaboration
BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus has entered into research collaboration with the International Center for Biosaline Agriculture (ICBA), Dubai, UAE
BPDC has academic collaborations with American and Canadian universities.
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA.
- University of Maryland, College Park, USA.
- Kansas State University(KSU), Manhattan, Kansas, USA.
- Iowa State University of Science and Technology, Ames, Iowa, USA.
- University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, USA
- George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, USA
- University of Ontario, Canada
- University of Windsor, Canada
The scope of academic collaboration includes;
- Preferential admission into graduate programmes for BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus students
- Joint research activities
- Credits transfer
- Student and faculty exchange
The institute is located in Dubai International Academic City. The institute provides student visas, hostel facilities and transport facilities.
Library The BPD library is located in a separate block behind the main academic block. The library is spread over two floors.
BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus, was first located in Al Ghurair University Campus, then at Dubai Knowledge Village, and to its permanent campus with student housing at Dubai International Academic City in September 2007.