Beer in Iran
Beer in Iran has had a long history. The earliest known chemical evidence of beer dates to circa 3500–3100 BC from the site of Godin Tepe in the Zagros Mountains of western Iran, and there is evidence of beer-drinking over a long period in the Persian empire. Since the Iranian Revolution of 1979, production, possession or distribution of any alcoholic beverages is illegal and punishable under the Islamic law. While non-alcoholic beers are the only ones available from legal outlets, illegal alcoholic beers are smuggled into the country and consumed.
As of 2010, alcoholic beers remain illegal, yet non-alcoholic beers are well developed and established due to the active performance of the local industrial brewers.
- Behnoush Iran Co.
Behnoush Iran Co. is a local manufacturer holding the majority of volume sales of non-alcoholic beer. After The Revolution in 1979, the Behnoush Iran Co. changed from producing alcoholic beer to non-alcoholic beer. In 2008, it introduced a new low-calorie non-alcoholic beer, Delster Diet. The company is also producing Holsten beer under license from Carlsberg.
- Arpanoosh Co.
Another local manufacturer of non-alcoholic beer in Iran is Arpanoosh Co. The products of this company with the Istak brand are supplied in many different flavors including lemon, strawberry, pomegranate, and original malt.
- Danjeh Aria Co.
Another local manufacturer of non-alcoholic beer in Iran is Danjeh Aria Co with the Hoffenberg brand.
In 2008, the sale of non-alcoholic beers in Iran continued its high performance with double-digit growth rates in both value and volume and is expected to more than double its total volume sales between 2008 and 2013.
- Wilkins, John; and Hill, Shaun. Food in the ancient world, Wiley-Blackwell, pg. 132, 2006. ISBN 978-0-631-23551-4
- Kugel, James L. Traditions of the Bible, Harvard University Press, pg. 569, 1998. ISBN 978-0-674-79151-0
- "Alcoholic Drinks in Iran". Euromonitor.com. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Arpanoosh industrial Co.,Supplier,Manufacturer|Company|Ultimate Halal Industry B2B Trading Platform, Marketplace & Knowledgebase". Halalstock.com. Archived from the original on 11 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Hoffenberg". Ratebeer.com. Retrieved 2011-07-12.