Beer in the Caribbean
The beers of the Caribbean are unique to each island in the region, although many are variances of the same style. Each island generally brews its own unique pale lager, the occasional stout, and often a non-alcoholic malta beverage. Contract-brewing of international beers is also common, with Heineken Pilsener and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout being the most popular. The beers vary between the islands to suit the taste and the brewing method used.
Antigua and Barbuda
Balashi Beer, a 5%ABV all-malt pilsner, is the national beer of Aruba. It won the Gold Medal from the Monde Selection in Brussels in 2001, as well as the Grand Gold from the same committee in 2004.
Kalik Beer, a golden lager, is the national beer of the Bahamas, controlling over 50% of the beer market in the country. Winner of three consecutive Gold Medals from Monde Selection, it is also stronger than most Caribbean lagers, at 7%ABV. Its brewer, Commonwealth Brewing Ltd, also brews Kalik Light and Kalik Regular, two lagers lighter than the original.
10 Saints beer is brewed in Speightstown, St. Peter in Barbados and aged for 90 days in Mount Gay 'Special Reserve' Rum casks. It was first brewed in 2009 and is available in certain Caricom nations.
Prestige is one of the best beers in the caribbean. Prestige is the name for a brand of American-style lager produced by Brasserie Nationale d'Haiti in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. It is the best-selling beer in Haiti with a 98% market share  and so far its only native beer. Prestige beer is also available in some parts of the United States.
Prestige beer was launched in 1976, less than 2 years after BRANA's creation. In 2000, it won the gold medal at the World Beer Cup for American-style lager  World Beer Cup#American-Style Lager and in 2005 it started being exported to select American cities.
Medalla Light is a Puerto Rican beer. Silver Key, is produced in the same brewery. The beer won first prize in 2005 for light beer in Brussels awarded by Monde Selection. Currently it is the top selling beer in Puerto Rico. Plus they launched Magna on August 1, 2011. A new brewery opened in Ponce in 2012, their beer is called Buyé. Micro and nano breweries are gaining popularity in the island, Old Harbor Brewery in Old San Juan has been in operation for a few years and their beers can be found in limited quantities around the island. Also among the small batch micro brews or nano brews there is Boquerón Brewing Co. in Cabo Rojo and Dacay Beer in Guaynabo.
Trinidad & Tobago
Carib Breweries manufactures Carib Beer and Stag Lager, along with Malta Carib, and Shandy Carib.
- Jackson (1977), p.216
- About Wadadli. wadadliantigua.com. Retrieved 2011-3-9.
- Antigua Brewery - Products
- Smagalski, Carolyn. Caribbean Island Guide to Beer. BellaOnline. Retrieved 2011-3-10.
- Balashi.com. Retrieved 2011-3-10.
- Montague, Arthur. Kalik Beer - A National Treasure. Bahamas Gateway. 2001. Retrieved 2011-3-10.
- Banks Beer: The Beer. BanksBeer.com. Retrieved 2011-3-9.
- Hoyos, Pat. Forty years on, Banks Beer finally makes it to the U.S. mainland. The Broad Street Journal. April 21, 2008. Retrieved 2011-3-9.
- 10 Saints beer. BanksBeer.com. Retrieved 2011-3-9.
- Presidente Beer in the Dominican Republic. dr1.com. Retrieved 2011-3-9.
- Official site
- Hernández López (August 15, 2005), R. de la C. 2594 (in Spanish), House of Representatives of Puerto Rico, pp. 1–2, retrieved April 4, 2011
- "Lanzan la primera cerveza premium boricua". El Nuevo Día (in Soanish) (Puerto Rico: El Nuevo Día). 8/1/2011. Retrieved 8/1/2011.