Beer in the Caribbean
The beers of the Caribbean are unique to each island in the region, although many are variances of the same style. Each island generally brews its own unique pale lager, the occasional stout, and often a non-alcoholic malta beverage. Contract-brewing of international beers is also common, with Heineken Pilsener and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout being the most popular. The beers vary between the islands to suit the taste and the brewing method used.
Antigua and Barbuda
Balashi beer, a 5%ABV all-malt pilsner, is the national beer of Aruba. It won the Gold Medal from the Monde Selection in Brussels in 2001, as well as the Grand Gold from the same committee in 2004.
Kalik beer, a golden lager, is the national beer of The Bahamas, controlling over 50% of the beer market in the country. Winner of three consecutive Gold Medals from Monde Selection, it is also stronger than most Caribbean lagers, at 7%ABV. Its brewer, Commonwealth Brewing Ltd, also brews Kalik Light and Kalik Regular, two lagers lighter than the original.
10 Saints beer is brewed in Speightstown, St. Peter in Barbados and aged for 90 days in Mount Gay 'Special Reserve' Rum casks. It was first brewed in 2009 and is available in certain Caricom nations.
Prestige is the name for a brand of American-style lager produced by Brasserie Nationale d'Haïti in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. It is the best-selling beer in Haiti, claiming a 98% market share. Prestige beer is also available in some parts of the United States.
Medalla Light is a Puerto Rican beer. Silver Key is produced in the same brewery. The beer won first prize in 2005 for light beer in Brussels awarded by Monde Selection. Currently, it is the top selling beer in Puerto Rico. In addition, they launched Magna on August 1, 2011. Micro- and nano-breweries are gaining popularity in the island. Current small-scale breweries include Old Harbor Brewery in Old San Juan, Boquerón Brewing Company in Cabo Rojo, FOK Brewing in Caguas, Rincón Beer Company in Rincón, Dacay Microbrewery in Guaynabo, and Ingeniero Microbrewery and Barlovento Brewing, both in Manati. Several more microbreweries are in the process of attaining permits.
Trinidad and Tobago
Carib Brewery manufactures Carib Beer and Stag Lager, along with Malta Carib, and Shandy Carib.
List of beers and breweries
- Jackson (1977), p.216
- About Wadadli. wadadliantigua.com. Retrieved 2011-3-9.
- Antigua Brewery - Products
- Smagalski, Carolyn. Caribbean Island Guide to Beer. BellaOnline. Retrieved 2011-3-10.
- Balashi.com. Retrieved 2011-3-10.
- Montague, Arthur. Kalik Beer - A National Treasure. Bahamas Gateway. 2001. Retrieved 2011-3-10.
- Banks Beer: The Beer. BanksBeer.com. Retrieved 2011-3-9.
- Hoyos, Pat. Forty years on, Banks Beer finally makes it to the U.S. mainland. The Broad Street Journal. April 21, 2008. Retrieved 2011-3-9.
- 10 Saints beer. BanksBeer.com. Retrieved 2011-3-9.
- Gonzalez, Lorenzo (14 October 2013). "Belize and Beers". Belize Adventure. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Presidente Beer in the Dominican Republic. dr1.com. Retrieved 2011-3-9.
- "Brasserie Nationale D'Haiti (BRANA): The Maker Of Haiti's Native Beer". Haiti Observer. 9 October 2012. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "2000 World Beer Cup Winners List". Brewers Association. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "2012 World Beer Cup Winners List". Brewers Association. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Official site
- López, Hernández (August 15, 2005), R. de la C. 2594 (in Spanish), House of Representatives of Puerto Rico, pp. 1–2, retrieved April 4, 2011
- Diaz, Marian (1 Aug 2011). "Lanzan la primera cerveza premium boricua". El Nuevo Día (in Spanish) (Puerto Rico). Retrieved 11 October 2014.