|Elevation||222 m (728 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Santali|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Chaibasa is located at  It has an average elevation of 222 metres..
As of 2011[update] India census, Chaibasa had a population of 63,648.total no of householders 10596.total male 33686 and total female 29962 . Chaibasa has an average literacy rate of 74%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 79% and female literacy of 68%. 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
There are a number of schools up to 10th and 12th standards in Chaibasa. However, in case of college education and degree courses the choices are limited. Recently the Kolhan University has been constituted with its head office at Chaibasa.
The city has a number of educational institutions:
- Surajmull Jain DAV Public School, Chaibasa
- St. Viveka English Medium School, Chaibasa
- St. Xavier's Girls School, Chaibasa
- St. Xavier's Boys School, Chaibasa
- Mangilall Rungta Middle School, Chaibasa
- Mangilall Rungta High School, Chaibasa
- Zila School, Chaibasa
- Navodaya Vidyalaya, Chaibasa
- Lutheran school, Chaibasa
- Govt. Girls High school, Chaibasa
- St. Xavier's School, Lupungutu
- Scott Hindi Girl's school, Chaibasa
- Padmawati Jain Sarswati Sishu Vidya Mandir, Chaibasa
- SPG Boys School, Chaibasa
- SPG Girls School, Chaibasa
- St. Xavier's English Medium School, Chaibasa
- S.S.A.Niche Tola School, Chaibasa
University & Colleges:-
- Kolhan University
- Tata College, Chaibasa
- Mahila College (Women's College)
- G.C. Jain Commerce College
- Chaliyama Inter College
- ITI, Chaibasa
- Elegant (Play school), www.elegantschool.com
Chaibasa is a district headquarters and constitutes all the Governmental offices of the district. Government Institutions are the chief employers of chaibasa. The leading cement manufacturer- ACC cement works is situated in Jhinkpani, just 18 km from Chaibasa but relies on Chaibasa itself for daily needs. Loads of mining work is done here, with leading players like S.R. Rungta Group, Thakur Prasad Sao & Sons, Saha Brothers. Many other small scale Steel manufacturing companies are situated in Chaibasa.
There is no functioning cinema hall in Chaibasa. Both JMP(Jain Movie Palace) and Yashoda Talkies have been closed. Outside both halls, a large variety of eateries can be found. Recently many new restaurants have been built in and around the city. The weekly market can also be considered entertaining.
There are some favaroble picnic spots, mostly natural, near Chaibasa, e.g.:
- Chaliyama Dam
- Telai Small Town
- Amrapali Restaurant
- Telai pull (horrer)
- Lutheran Jheel
- Rungta Garden
- Roro Dam
- Airport Garden
- Lupungutu Jharna(Spring)
- Clock house
- Shahid Park
- Birsa Munda Indoor Stadium
In the heart of Town there is a small lake with two small islands. Recent renovation makes them worth a visit.
Apart from the recent development of the Jubilee Lake (Kachari Talab), the city now has two parks, Saheed Park and Rungta Garden.
The best connected place is Jamshedpur, which is 60 km away from Chaibasa. There are two trains running Jamshedpur which passes via Chaibasa. 1. Tata Gua Passenger 2. Tata Barbil Passenger One another train running from Howrah i.e. Howrah Barbil Jan-Satabdi Express passes via Chaibasa.In 2012 another train from chakradharpur to Barbil had started passing through chaibasa. Capital of Jharkhand, Ranchi is 145 km away from Chaibasa. The city does not have a public airport, but there are some helipads.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Chaibasa
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Pin Code of Chaibasa". citypincode.in. Retrieved 2014-05-12.