Location of Flemingsburg, Kentucky
|• Total||2.6 sq mi (6.9 km2)|
|• Land||2.6 sq mi (6.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||814 ft (248 m)|
|• Density||1,178.2/sq mi (454.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0492237|
Flemingsburg is located at .(38.420541, -83.737581)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.7 square miles (7.0 km2), of which 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (3.40%) is water.
Flemingsburg was founded in 1797 by George S. Stockton, a native Virginian, who named the town and county after his half-brother Colonel John Fleming. It has been the seat of Fleming County since its formation and was formally incorporated by the state assembly in 1812.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,010 people, 1,294 households, and 821 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,178.2 people per square mile (455.8/km²). There were 1,434 housing units at an average density of 561.3 per square mile (217.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 92.72% White, 5.05% African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.40% Asian, 0.43% from other races, and 1.30% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.03% of the population.
There were 1,294 households out of which 29.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.5% were married couples living together, 14.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.5% were non-families. 33.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.3% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 25.2% from 25 to 44, 23.2% from 45 to 64, and 20.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 81.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $23,708, and the median income for a family was $33,365. Males had a median income of $26,550 versus $21,165 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,914. About 15.0% of families and 19.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.5% of those under age 18 and 26.8% of those age 65 or over.
- James J. Andrews, Civil War spy
- Landaff Andrews, United States Representative
- Herman Chittison, jazz musician
- Leander Cox, United States Representative
- Joseph J. Reynolds, Union army general
- Alvin Saunders, United States Senator from Nebraska
- Lawrence S. Trimble, United States Representative
- Nelson Stacy, NASCAR and ARCA driver
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Flemingsburg has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Rennick, Robert M. (1987). Kentucky Place Names. University Press of Kentucky. p. 103. Retrieved 28 Apr 2013.
- Commonwealth of Kentucky. Office of the Secretary of State. Land Office. "Flemingsburg, Kentucky". Accessed 26 Jul 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Climate Summary for Flemingsburg, Kentucky