Frances Fitzgerald (politician)
|Minister for Justice and Equality|
8 May 2014
|Preceded by||Alan Shatter|
|Minister for Children and Youth Affairs|
9 March 2011 – 7 May 2014
|Preceded by||New office|
|Succeeded by||Charles Flanagan|
November 1992 – May 2002
July 2007 – February 2011
1 August 1950 |
Croom, County Limerick, Ireland
|Political party||Fine Gael|
Frances Fitzgerald (born 1 August 1950) is an Irish Fine Gael politician, and is the Minister for Justice and Equality. She has been a Teachta Dála (TD) for the Dublin Mid–West constituency since February 2011. She was a member of Seanad Éireann on the Labour Panel from 2007 to 2011, and was previously a TD for the Dublin South–East constituency from 1992 to 2002.
Early and personal life
Born Frances Ryan in Croom, County Limerick, she was educated at Dominican College Sion Hill school, Blackrock, University College Dublin and London School of Economics. She is a former social worker.
Fitzgerald was first elected to Dáil Éireann at the 1992 general election and retained her seat at the 1997 general election. She lost her seat at the 2002 general election. She then stood for election to the 22nd Seanad on the Administrative Panel, but was unsuccessful.
Before being elected a TD, she had been a high-profile Chair of the Council for the Status of Women from 1988 to 1992.
She was the Fine Gael candidate at the 2007 general election for the Dublin Mid-West constituency, but she was not elected. She was elected to the Seanad in July 2007. On 12 September 2007, she was appointed leader of the Fine Gael group in Seanad Éireann, and was also Fine Gael Seanad spokesperson on Health and Children, and a member of the Fine Gael Front Bench.
- "Ms. Frances Fitzgerald". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Lunch with... Frances Fitzgerald". Irish Independent. 1 March 2014.
- "Profile: Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald". Irish Times. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Frances Fitzgerald: From social worker to Justice Minister". The Journal. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Frances Fitzgerald". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "General Election 2007 – Dublin Mid–West". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Frances Fitzgerald named as new Minister for Justice". Irish Independent. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Frances Fitzgerald to replace Shatter as Minister for Justice". RTÉ News. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Official website
- Frances Fitzgerald's page on the Fine Gael website
- Centre For the Advancement of Women in Politics: Frances Fitzgerald
|Fine Gael Teachta Dála for Dublin South–East
|Fine Gael Teachta Dála for Dublin Mid–West
|New office||Minister for Children and Youth Affairs
|Minister for Justice and Equality