August 14, 1972 |
Jay Manuel (born August 14, 1972) is a Canadian American make-up artist. He is most recognizable as the director of photo shoots on the popular reality television show America's Next Top Model. Manuel is also the host and lead judge of the second and third cycle of Canada's Next Top Model, a spin-off to the original.
Manuel was born in Springfield, Illinois to a mother of Italian and Czech descent and a South African father of Netherlands and Malaysia descent. He was raised by adoptive parents in Toronto where he attended Dr Norman Bethune Collegiate Institute and York University.
Eventually, he became a makeup artist, working for clients such as Tyra Banks and Iman. Manuel and friend J. Alexander, also an America's Next Top Model personality, often appear on E!: Entertainment Television's Fashion Police episodes with Debbie Matenopoulos, which air the day after E!'s Live From the Red Carpet coverage of major awards shows such as The Academy Awards, The Grammys, The Golden Globes and The Primetime Emmy Awards. Manuel also hosts his own show, Style Her Famous, on the Style Network. In September 2006, he introduced his own make-up line, Manuel Override, on QVC. He is the personal make-up artist of supermodel Tyra Banks. On America's Next Top Model, Manuel is also known as "Mister Jay", a counterpart to J. Alexander's "Miss J."
In 2011, Jay Manuel released a clothing line for Sears by the name of Attitude.
On April 20, 2012, Jay Manuel was fired from America's Next Top Model reality show by Tyra Banks after 18 seasons due to the show's plummeting ratings. Jay Manuel was fired together with Nigel Barker, and J. Alexander.
- "'In a taxi with… America's Next Top Model star Jay Manuel". Daily Mail. January 24, 2009. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- "'America's Next Top Model' chat". USA Today. December 15, 2004. Retrieved November 28, 2008.
- Martin, Denise. (November 18, 2008). "TV: Looking 'Fabulous' with Mr. and Miss J". Los Angeles Times/The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved November 28, 2008.
- "Jay Manuel showed some Attitude yesterday in Toronto. View the photos! «". Fashionmagazine.com. 2011-09-21. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- Posted: 04/20/2012 9:04 am Updated: 04/20/2012 9:14 am (2012-04-20). "'America's Next Top Model': Nigel Barker, Jay Manuel, J. Alexander Fired From Series". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Tyra Banks fires Nigel Barker, J. Alexander and Jay Manuel in America's Next Top Model shake-up | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Fired 'Top Model' Judge Nigel Barker - Good Luck Replacing Me". TMZ.com. 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2013-03-05.