5th Street, Lacon, view towards the Illinois River
|Elevation||484 ft (148 m)|
|Area||1.64 sq mi (4 km2)|
|- land||1.60 sq mi (4 km2)|
|- water||0.04 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||1,233.9 / sq mi (476 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Lacon, Illinois|
Lacon is a city in, and the county seat of, Marshall County, Illinois, United States. It is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,937 at the 2010 census, down from 1,979 at the 2000 census.
Lacon is located at  It is situated on the east shoreline of the Illinois River. According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 1.64 square miles (4.2 km2), of which 1.60 square miles (4.1 km2) (or 97.56%) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (or 2.44%) is water..
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,979 people, 797 households, and 540 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,233.9 people per square mile (477.6/km²). There were 852 housing units at an average density of 531.2 per square mile (205.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 80.09% White, 7.10% African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.20% Asian, 0.10% from other races, and 0.40% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.91% of the population.
There were 797 households out of which 28.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.6% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.2% were non-families. 28.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the city the population was spread out with 21.7% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 24.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 88.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,203, and the median income for a family was $47,670. Males had a median income of $36,250 versus $20,694 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,309. About 3.6% of families and 5.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.2% of those under age 18 and 5.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Robert Boal, Illinois politician
- Lucy Page Gaston, anti-tobacco crusader
- Valerie Allen Marland, First Lady of West Virginia (1953-1957)
- Robert Sproull, educator and physicist
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Government Printing Office. p. 178.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
Media related to Lacon, Illinois at Wikimedia Commons