|Area||4.80 sq mi (12 km2)|
|- land||4.74 sq mi (12 km2)|
|- water||0.06 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||1,881.9 / sq mi (727 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Robinson, Illinois|
Robinson is located at (39.006185, -87.738778).
According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 4.80 square miles (12.4 km2), of which 4.74 square miles (12.3 km2) (or 98.75%) is land and 0.06 square miles (0.16 km2) (or 1.25%) is water.
At the 2000 census, there were 6,822 people, 2,927 households and 1,835 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,881.9 per square mile (725.6/km²). There were 3,376 housing units at an average density of 931.3 per square mile (359.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.98% White, 1.16% African American, 0.41% Native American, 0.63% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.66% from other races, and 1.14% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.73% of the population.
There were 2,927 households of which 29.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.1% were married couples living together, 11.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.3% were non-families. 32.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.27 and the average family size was 2.87.
24.3% of the population were under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 25.9% from 25 to 44, 20.8% from 45 to 64, and 20.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 88.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.0 males.
The median household income was $30,153 and the median family income was $38,974. Males had a median income of $31,890 versus $21,338 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,637. About 8.2% of families and 11.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.4% of those under age 18 and 8.9% of those age 65 or over.
Notable people 
- Robert Brubaker, actor (Gunsmoke)
- Calli Cox (aka. Kristy Jo Gullett), adult film actress
- Joseph B. Crowley, US congressman
- L. S. Heath, founder of Heath toffee
- James Jones, author (From Here to Eternity, The Thin Red Line) ("Some Came Running; born in Robinson
- Meyers Leonard, basketball center for the Portland Trail Blazers
- Perry H. Graves,Sr., 1914 First-team All-American football player for the University of Illinois, Big Ten Official and local business owner.
- Robinson High School
- Nuttall Middle School
- Lincoln Grade School
- Washington Elementary School
The Robinson High School Maroons basketball team were the boys' Illinois 2010 Class 2A State Champions.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
-  Robinson, Illinois History.
- ‘A Chocolate Affair’ staged at Backus By Faye Whitbeck, retrieved February 7, 2008
- "Robinson Daily News". Retrieved April 30, 2010.
- "MARC Bibliographic Record: The Robinson constitution.". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- Community Unit School District #2